DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

So I watched Trespass again last night after making the mistake of bumping it for fucking Cello the night before.

First time I've watched it in about 15 years and it's still fantastic. I've figured out why I like Walter Hill's films so much and that is because they seem to be stylistically and atmospherically very similar to John Carpenter's (good) films. I also like how his films just get into the thick of the action right away.

William Sadler should have been a bigger star, though. Not one of Bill Paxton's strongest roles (and he's far too stupid at the end for me to completely warm to the ending) but Ice Cube and Ice-T are awesome in this. Plus it's got Z-Gangsta in it playing a character called Cletus. I don't know what more you could ask for.

I've talked this film up several times on here before but it was good to see that it was still well worthy of all the fuss I've made of it.

8/10.

• Paid Members

I watched Labyrinth last night, for the first time in about 15 years. It holds up, and now we must purchase a picture of goblin king Bowie for our wall.

You want one of these badboysdidymus.jpgLabyrinth is one of my all time fav films, beautiful look, great script and screenplay, fantastic Jim Henson creatures and just mental enough. The making of admits that they originally wanted Michael Jackson in the Bowie role which really would have made it a fucked up film to watch now.I re-watched A Simple Plan the other day. Probably the straightest film Sam Raimi has ever made and its a cracker, nothing gimicky and Raimi does a great job. For anyone thats not seen it Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton play brother who find a crashed plane in the snow with $4 million dollars in it and decide to keep it, then things go to shit. Thornton was coming off all the praise for Slingblade and he puts in another great performance here but Paxton really shows just how great an actor he is, being in nearly every shot of the film. This along with Frailty really show that Bill Paxton is fucking awesome

• Paid Members

I watched Labyrinth last night, for the first time in about 15 years. It holds up, and now we must purchase a picture of goblin king Bowie for our wall.

You want one of these badboysdidymus.jpgLabyrinth is one of my all time fav films, beautiful look, great script and screenplay, fantastic Jim Henson creatures and just mental enough. The making of admits that they originally wanted Michael Jackson in the Bowie role which really would have made it a fucked up film to watch now.
Yes, I *do* want one of those.Little known fact - Labyrinth is a documentary of a day in the life of David Bowie. Edited by Rosegarden Funeral

Bridesmaids

Great little film, me and my girlfriend Shanice were hysterical at points!!! What I really liked about the film is seeing all these lovely little ladies being funny together without hardly a man in sight, a refereshing sight for the feminist cause. Plus, some of the girls were proper fit too.

• Paid Members

Last night I went for....Sneakers!

Sneakers is one of those films that I don't think anyone really has a bad thing to say about, yet it's rarely going to be anyone's favourite film of all time. In that regard I would put it in the same category as something like War Games or Short Circuit.

First time that I had watched it for about 15 years and it really has not aged nearly as much as you would expect a techno-thriller like this to have done considering the technical advances that have been made.

The cast is obviously excellent (amazing to see how fat Dan Aykroyd had suddenly got, though) even though Ben Kingsley doesn't seem entirely comfortable in his role as the head bad guy. It balances the comedy and thrills really well, doesn't get too silly, and although it overdoes the twists a bit too much towards the end, it really is one of the better conspiracy / espionage type thrillers that you will find.

In terms of Gladstone's Great C-List Character Actor Watch, the award goes to the excellent Stephen Tobolowsky.

7/10.

• Paid Members

Sneakers is one of those films that I don't think anyone really has a bad thing to say about, yet it's rarely going to be anyone's favourite film of all time. In that regard I would put it in the same category as something like War Games or Short Circuit.

First time that I had watched it for about 15 years and it really has not aged nearly as much as you would expect a techno-thriller like this to have done considering the technical advances that have been made.

The cast is obviously excellent (amazing to see how fat Dan Aykroyd had suddenly got, though) even though Ben Kingsley doesn't seem entirely comfortable in his role as the head bad guy. It balances the comedy and thrills really well, doesn't get too silly, and although it overdoes the twists a bit too much towards the end, it really is one of the better conspiracy / espionage type thrillers that you will find.

In terms of Gladstone's Great C-List Character Actor Watch, the award goes to the excellent Stephen Tobolowsky.

7/10.

I watched The Sleepers (think it was also called Little Nikita) over Christmas which has Sidney Poitier and River Phoenix in it a few years before they made Sneakers. Film is a pretty generic 80s cold war thriller but Phoenix was already showing that he was going to be special. Great call on Stephen Tobolwsky, He'll always be Ned from Groundhog Day despite being a fantastic sleaze bag in quite a few films

• Paid Members
Currently making my way through the entire series of Six Feet Under. I never watched it the first time around. It's bloody great TV but man it's depressing!

It gets glummer as it goes on. I liked the format of the 1st series where they had the occasional funny death. That didn't last long......

7/10.

perfectly agree with your comments

its certainly not an outstanding film but certainly not a throw away one either.

I`d liken it to groundhog day. if its on and you find it be accident while flicking through channels, you`ll watch it and be quite pleased with the fact you found something to watch