DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Been teeing up some films again last night

The Curious Case of Forrest Gump (FG), erm I mean Benjamin Button. This was FG with a different USP that the bloke went from old to young, but was still a simpleton, got involved in 'World' events and had a Captain (see Lietenant Dan from FG) to guide him. Very loyal to his 'ma' and even had his own 'Jenny'.

It went on far far to long and should have ended

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

In the dancing school when he was a teenager

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Overly long and a chore to watch. was not impressed. Its not uber shit but it isnt any great shakes and because of the length wouldnt go out of my way to watch it again.

Also watched Coming To America. Eddie Murphy Prince Akeem, Mc Dowells, James Earl Jones and Randolph and Mortimer, Nuff said really

and then Jackie Brown. I like this more than most QT and hadnt seen it in a while. Its good, but for the love of god wish that Tarantino would stop signposting stuff as its getting really fucking annoying. plus Pam Grier redefines BIG HAIR.

• Paid Members
I had a case of Deja vu when watching Transformers.

Ever get a case of "Hey I've seen that before, and if that's what I think it is, that's fucking terrible!"?

I wasn't 100% on what I saw, so I trotted off to Google and sure enough it was true.

They used the same car crash plate as The Island, and some very helpful person put both clips together:

001.gif

How do we feel on films reusing effects plates? I'm ok with it, but it's not just the car they have taken from it, it's the whole clip with the other traffic so I'm not that comfortable with it.

Why the hell aren't the spoiler tags working?

EDIT2: I fucking give up.

Here's that, and another lift from The Island, in action:

Also:

temp807.jpg

Those movies are just a bunch of shapes hitting other shapes and twirling around in the air. It's more of an adaptation of this than any cartoon.

WoolyWillyOpt.jpg

And there I was thinking I was going mad.

Me and my son watched Napoleon Dynamite for the first time today, Sky+'d off Film. I'd not seen the whole film before and a mate of his was telling how good it was, good to watch a film we could both enjoy that was a little "different". My lad loved it! It's rather unique, funny I'm not sure how to describe it someone who's not seen it before, there's not many straight characters for a comedy they're all a bit weird :p

I watched Back To The Future 1 and 2. I enjoyed the first film a lot; it's really fun and massively charming. And it's got Crispin Glover in it to boot!

The second film, I still enjoyed but was much less impressed with because it's largely, quite literally, a retread of the first. Part 2 felt too convoluted and cliche. The trailer for part 3 (tacked on the end) gives me the impression that the next one really jumped the shark. Am I right in saying that? Or does it satisfactorily give something different?

Edited by Vice

Empire has done a list of The 50 Greatest American Indie Films. I've only seen 17; clearly I am not indie enough.

Around 33 seen, its not a bad list, not really anything amazingly surprising as far as I can tell. Did think that Cube and a few others were non American financed but nothing that I can see as being really odd.. Will probably be corrected though

For anyone who can't be arsed going through every page

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

50. The Wrestler (2009)

49. Swingers (1996)

48. In Search Of A Midnight Kiss (2008)

47. Cube (1997)

46. Juno (2007)

45. In The Company Of Men (1997)

44. Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai (1999)

43. Winter

• Paid Members
A lot of those are indie films in the same way that WWE NXT is indie wrestling.

Absolutely. They might as well have put Terminator 3 in there seeing as it's technically independently produced.

I've only seen 13 of them though.