DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Lots of fun, with cult classic written all over it. Basically, it's about how two nice hillbillies are oblivious to their appearances and apparent actions painting them as horror movie archetypes in the eyes of a bunch of teens who've clearly seen loads of horror movies. That gulf grows and the situations become more over-the-top and more violent.

Tyler Labine steals the film as a kind-hearted and insecure hillbilly, Dale.

I'm big on horror, so I really enjoyed it, but I think it's still got a lot going for it in and of itself.

Edited by Vice

• Paid Members

Wind Chill

Has anyone seen this? Produced by superstars, fairly high budget, limited cinema release and as a result almost no-one saw it. Hmm.

Well, it's really good in places. Emily Blunt's an absolutely great little actress and she's almost as good here as she was in My Summer Of Love (which is utterly fantastic, by the way - if you thought Paddy Considine was shit-scary in Dead Man's Shoes, you need to see this) and she clearly is the reason why this film is quite good rather than mediocre.

There are some pretty good scenes in it (the bit with the 'guy' on the bridge is surprisingly nasty) and some bits that leave you wondering what the hell is going on, but then it takes the same route as too many horror / thrillers recently...

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

....as in arseing around with timelines and stuff like that....

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

.....and you are just left with a massively underwhelming and crap ending that it had actually built to quite effectively. This should have been very good indeed, I thought, but it ends up just being quite good and as such I was slightly disappointed I didn't get more from it.

6/10

• Paid Members
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

Lots of fun, with cult classic written all over it. Basically, it's about how two nice hillbillies are oblivious to their appearances and apparent actions painting them as horror movie archetypes in the eyes of a bunch of teens who've clearly seen loads of horror movies. That gulf grows and the situations become more over-the-top and more violent.

Tyler Labine steals the film as a kind-hearted and insecure hillbilly, Dale.

I'm big on horror, so I really enjoyed it, but I think it's still got a lot going for it in and of itself.

One of the funniest and original films I have seen in ages. Just shows what you can do with good, likeable characters.

Watching Christine right now - entertaining enough, years since I saw it. Roberts Blossom, however, is absolutely towering. What a wonderful actor, he just owned the screen every second he is on it.

Fantastic little picture, that. My old man recommended it to me about a year ago when I was blitzing through horrors and listening to a lot of late 50

I finally got around to watching the new Studio Ghibli animation Arriety and as expected it's their typical wonderous and charming style but a lot more of a low key affair, not much actually seems to happen and the whole movie just floats by. Possibly my least favourite of the collection but still a pleasant watch that's better than 90% of other recent animated childrens movies (Tangled not included as that's class).

Edited by Merzbow

just been to see the muppets and cried right through it from kermits first apperence right through to the end credits and on the bus home i'm 38 for fucks sake

what an awesome emotional nostalgia trip

Im on my third viewing, and Rainbow Connection gets me every bloody time.

Just watched Southern Comfort on the iplayer, It was a film I've not seen for a long time and my girlfriend hadn't seen before. It's a brilliant Vietnam war flick that doesn't take place in Vietnam. If you replace 'Nam with Louisiana and Charlie with some Cajuns you have this film in a nutshell.