DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
After many years of hating it i watched Wes Cravens New Nightmare, best film in the whole bloody series! I think i was too young originally and just prefered the sillyness of the older films but now all this time later i realise how damn good it was.

:angry:

After many years of hating it i watched Wes Cravens New Nightmare, best film in the whole bloody series! I think i was too young originally and just prefered the sillyness of the older films but now all this time later i realise how damn good it was.

Agreed.A New Nightmare is probably the best in the series.Saying that Part 3:Dream Warriors is my favourite.The entire series deserves a re-evaluation.Part 2 is pretty decent(the homoerotic subtext only adds to the camp enjoyment),Part 4 is underrated.It's not fantastic but it's got a pretty good story and some nice visual touches.Saying that Parts 5 and 6 are pretty naff with Part 6 being the worst of the bunch.That Part 7:Wes Craven's A New Nightmare is so awesome makes up for the previous duff entries.One of the better horror cannons in my opinion.

:angry: :angry:

• Awards Moderator
went to watch Tintin and wasn't expecting it but it was excellent. the animation style works welll especially with the main action sequences. and it means the characters look just like they should. although it is Speilberg and you should never really doubt him

couple of sequences are breathtaking. performances are good across the board but special mention must go to Andy serkis as Captain haddock. steals the whole film with an hilarious and at times quite emotianal performance.

went to see it in 2d and it looks great.

recommend it especially if youve got any kids (they will love snowy)

Agreed on all counts, I went to see it tonight and loved it. I went 3D, which made a couple of the big action sequences look even more stunning, but the extra dimension isn't necessary, and the spectacle will still be spectacular in 2D.

It's just a great, proper, real adventure. Loads of fun.

(and I'm not a kid but I loved Snowy anyway)

• Paid Members

Watched the new Cameron Crowe documentary Pearl Jam - Twenty last night. I might be biased as I'm a huge PJ fan but it's a fantastic doc. The sheer amount of footage he had available to him spanning their career is astounding, as is the remastered quality of some of the early videos (footage of their 2nd ever gig etc). A combination of talking head interviews, old interviews, tour & concert footage all tied into a chronological narrative. I thought it was better than the Foo Fighters film that came out recently (did anyone else who saw that think that Grohl came off as a bit of a cunt?), maybe because PJ do very little press & TV so it offered more of an insight into a private band, plus Eddie Vedder is an awesomely strange dude.

:angry:

Agreed.A New Nightmare is probably the best in the series.Saying that Part 3:Dream Warriors is my favourite.The entire series deserves a re-evaluation.Part 2 is pretty decent(the homoerotic subtext only adds to the camp enjoyment),Part 4 is underrated.It's not fantastic but it's got a pretty good story and some nice visual touches.Saying that Parts 5 and 6 are pretty naff with Part 6 being the worst of the bunch.That Part 7:Wes Craven's A New Nightmare is so awesome makes up for the previous duff entries.One of the better horror cannons in my opinion.

:angry: :angry:

They're not coming to our film club, Mr Small.

• Paid Members
Watched Paranormal Activity 3 tonight. I confess, I watched the last 5 minutes through my fingers, it's that damn jumpy.

As did I. I really got into it, and in parts it had me squirming in my seat, even when I was expecting it. Definitely my favourite out of the 3 instalments so far.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The fact that we get more than Cupboards and inanimate object's being moved made it so much better. The scene with the Baby Sitter and bed sheet was great, as was the Bloody Mary stuff, the dude in that scene made it brilliant (although different from the trailer) The oscillating fan/camera provided some great tension bits all in all.

I like how they put the Coven stuff in and linked it up with the Grandmother making a pact with a demon for the first born son, which then connects the the Hunter stuff in PA2.

Also - Teddy fucking Ruxpin.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Mr Stu

• Paid Members
I thought it was better than the Foo Fighters film that came out recently (did anyone else who saw that think that Grohl came off as a bit of a cunt?)

i haven't seen it yet but ive always kinda thought that Dave Grohl's 'nicest guy in rock' tag was a bit of a fetch, Grohl's come across as a pretty arrogant twat in a few things ive seen in, i think it may be something to do with his sense of humour but ive always thought he's probably not as nice as everyone thinks he is.

• Paid Members

You should deffo check out the Foo's doc if you've not seen it. Grohl essentially stitched up the Foo's drummer, William Goldsmith by re-recording all the drum parts to 'Colour & the Shape' without telling him, he then eventually told him by phone that he could still tour with them as a 'drummer for hire' but he obviously wouldn't get any money from record sales, more dollars for Mr Grohl. He also claims to be some kind of perfectionist when it comes to their album output?!? Surely if that's the case then why has every record between the 3rd & last albums been shit? They've been a singles band since 'There's Nothing Left to Lose'.

Part 4 is the worst film ever made :sneaky:

• Paid Members

Just been to see Tintin, thought it was fantastic, the set pieces are amazing and the race down the mountain is one of the most insane shots I've seen in ages, the planning that goes into something like that must be immense and is something that could only be done in a film made this way. Thought the 3d was perfect, instead of being pointless and over used they just added some depth to the scenes and little touches like lens flare. Had a trailer for Hugo at the start which looks like it could be very special.

I don't know where to start on the Nightmare on Elm Street stuff but after 3 they just started ramping up the Freddy as a campy anti-hero they went to shit. I think i wrote about them on here when i went through them all in a week. Watching them back to back shows just how shitty they got.

I don't know where to start on the Nightmare on Elm Street stuff but after 3 they just started ramping up the Freddy as a campy anti-hero they went to shit. I think i wrote about them on here when i went through them all in a week. Watching them back to back shows just how shitty they got.

Just to try and put the whole NOES issue to bed.I wasn't likening the films to masterpieces of say Fritz Lang or Alfred Hitchcock,merely stating that within the horror genre and more specifically the Nightmare series that Parts 3 and 7 were both very good.Part 4 isn't great but compared to Parts 5 and 6 which are both pretty awful it stands up a little better.Outside of somebody asking me to name an underrated horror film,to which Parts 3 and 7 would get a mention from myself,I wouldn't bring up anything from the Nightmare series when discussing great movies.

Sorry,just had to get that off my chest :)

One thing that I think most people will agree on is that the remake was awful.A right waste of an hour and a half.

• Paid Members

Just to try and put the whole NOES issue to bed.I wasn't likening the films to masterpieces of say Fritz Lang or Alfred Hitchcock,merely stating that within the horror genre and more specifically the Nightmare series that Parts 3 and 7 were both very good.

No they're not! Within the series, the horror genre and film as a whole they are awful. The only really good film in that series is the first one. The second one is mediocre at best. The rest are shit. The Nightmare On Elm Street Code is - 12everythingelseinequalorderofshitness.

Just to try and put the whole NOES issue to bed.I wasn't likening the films to masterpieces of say Fritz Lang or Alfred Hitchcock,merely stating that within the horror genre and more specifically the Nightmare series that Parts 3 and 7 were both very good.

No they're not! Within the series, the horror genre and film as a whole they are awful. The only really good film in that series is the first one. The second one is mediocre at best. The rest are shit. The Nightmare On Elm Street Code is - 12everythingelseinequalorderofshitness.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one.I don't deny that Part 1 is good,i'm just sticking to Parts 3 and 7 as my favourites.Mabye it's just me,I do tend to have a fondness for later entries in film series.(I won't even bring up the Halloween series :/ )Mabye I should dig out the NOES boxset and have a revisit of said films.

I'll get back to you on them... :D