DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members

the fact that you're playing on your computer whilst watching the movie might be something to do with the fact that you aint enjoying it.

it's like people who watch horror movies in the middle of the day and talk all the way through it, kind of defeats the point.

• Paid Members

Just watched Super. Really misjudged combination of comedy and realistic violence. Dont know what to make of it but the shift between the two hurts the film. Worth checking out though and Ellen Page............. :thumbsup:

I am currently sat watching 'let the right one in'. I'm an hour and a half in and given the hyperbole surrounding this film, I'm surprised to say i'm bored to tears. It's fucking shit.

Aye, I wasn't a fan of it at all either. It's not scary, and neither the characters nor story are engaging. I wonder if I'd have liked it more had it not been overhyped by people, or whether I'd have switched it off in the first half hour instead of leaving it on til the end waiting for it to get good.

• Paid Members

Count me as another who didn't think much of 'Let The Right One In'. With all the hype about how original and unique the story was I didn't think it was very attention grabbing and I can barely remember anything about it. Best vampire movie is still The Lost Boys, nothing else comes close in my opinion.

I tend to find people equate "scary" with "bloody" nowadays. As in "Hostel is scary" or "Saw is scary".

That's not horror, that's gross-out. I thought Let The Right One In was one of the scariest films I'd seen in years, because of its theme and location as much as what you actually saw. Horses for course and all that, but obviously I think less of you all for not liking it :)

• Paid Members

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

Comedy about the last day of an American Summer Camp starring Paul Rudd, Niles from Fraiser, Chris Keller from Oz, Janeane Garofalo and a shit load of other people you'll sort of recognise. Way more silly and sketchy (as in the stage term) than I thought it was going to be. I had this idea that it would be a fairy straight comedy based on the interviews about I'd heard/read, but it has a loose grip on reality and often goes into spoof territory. There was still a lot of good stuff going on, but it meant it was really quite patchy. 6.25/10.50

• Paid Members
I tend to find people equate "scary" with "bloody" nowadays. As in "Hostel is scary" or "Saw is scary".

That's not horror, that's gross-out. I thought Let The Right One In was one of the scariest films I'd seen in years, because of its theme and location as much as what you actually saw. Horses for course and all that, but obviously I think less of you all for not liking it :)

Exactly some of the best horror films were more about the suspence and tone than the gore. Rosemarys baby and Dont look now are more about unsettling people than grossing them out. I thought Let The Right One In was a great film, the remake wasn't too shabby either (although the naff CGI ruined the tunnel scene and wasn't needed) Sadly the majority of modern horror is either excessive gore or flash cut edits and loud music cues to try and make people jump.

Anyways as well as Super I watched Submarine last night. Missed it at the cinema and it was fantatsic. Its Richard Ayoades first feature film, has some great performances and Paddy Considine has some amazing hair in it

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

Comedy about the last day of an American Summer Camp starring Paul Rudd, Niles from Fraiser, Chris Keller from Oz, Janeane Garofalo and a shit load of other people you'll sort of recognise. Way more silly and sketchy (as in the stage term) than I thought it was going to be. I had this idea that it would be a fairy straight comedy based on the interviews about I'd heard/read, but it has a loose grip on reality and often goes into spoof territory. There was still a lot of good stuff going on, but it meant it was really quite patchy. 6.25/10.50

I BLOODY LOVE THIS FILM! It's possibly one of my favourite ever!

Exactly some of the best horror films were more about the suspence and tone than the gore. Rosemarys baby and Dont look now are more about unsettling people than grossing them out. I thought Let The Right One In was a great film, the remake wasn't too shabby either (although the naff CGI ruined the tunnel scene and wasn't needed) Sadly the majority of modern horror is either excessive gore or flash cut edits and loud music cues to try and make people jump.

Anyways as well as Super I watched Submarine last night. Missed it at the cinema and it was fantatsic. Its Richard Ayoades first feature film, has some great performances and Paddy Considine has some amazing hair in it

Couldn't agree more about the horror stuff, and Submarine is fantastic.