DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Moderators

He is wildly entertaining for sometimes good and sometimes bad reasons. He is great in some films, but he is not a good actor.

I think I may have asked this before when the topic has come up but has anyone here ever seen the film Deadfall? One of the worst films ever, and I have never seen Nic Cage over-acting so much. It's quite something to behold. It's directed by his brother, which explains why he did it...

His acting in The Wicker Man is pathetically funny. "HOW'D IT GET BURNED?"

Not the bees!!!

I do love him sometimes though, for everything good Bad Lieutenant, Lord Of War, Raising Arizona, Adaptation, Kick Ass, there is always something god awful Wicker Man, Bangkok Dangerous, Ghost Rider etc.

• Paid Members

Leaving Las Vegas is one of the worst films of the 90s. Utter fucking drivel and Nic Cage is appalling in it. It also features the most unrealistic blowjob in film history.

Nic Cage can be great though, as Wild At Heart, Razing Arizona and Con Air prove.

Nicolas Cage is one of my favorite actors. I've been watching a lot of his stuff recently and enjoying it! I even thought he made a decent Johnny Blaze in Ghost Rider (which I still don't think is as terrible as some people make it out to be). Moonstruck, Leavin Las Vegas, Con Air, Raising Arizona, Face/Off, Matchstick Men, Bad Lieutenant, Bringing Out the Dead, Wild at Heart are all really enjoyable in my opinion. I bought Adaptation a couple of days ago and I recorded Valley Girl off of MGM HD and I'll hopefully be watching them within the next day or two!

His acting in The Wicker Man is pathetically funny. "HOW'D IT GET BURNED?"

Not the bees!!!

I do love him sometimes though, for everything good Bad Lieutenant, Lord Of War, Raising Arizona, Adaptation, Kick Ass, there is always something god awful Wicker Man, Bangkok Dangerous, Ghost Rider etc.

I liked Lord of War, but I think he dragged down Kick-Ass.

Gamer was on Sky Premier the other day and I thought that was quite enjoyable. Michael C. Hall was excellent in it.

Away form the Nic Cage Pandora's Box I seem to have unearthed I watched The Inside Man as well last night.

Interesting movie Clive Owen was well, the same character he seems to play these days.. Slightly aloof cool at something person with a bit of menace when needed and light hearted at other times.. See Children of Men

Denzel Washington, is playing or has played pretty much the same person in the last few films Ive seen which seem to be person in authority with a chip on their shoulder Crimson Tide, Remember the Titans, Glory and so on. Its only Training Day and perhaps The Bone Collector and Fallen that he doesnt. However in real danger of being type cast as a cop or Wronged authority figure. He is alright in this but Chiwitel Ejiofor was better as his friend/ Work Colleague.

Ill be damned, Jodie Foster is 'Smoking Hot' in this film. C'est la vie.

The film itself is alright, but it doesnt excel, Despite having a good cast, and being a a Spike Lee joint, something is just lacking and it does at times feel overly long and far fetched ( including language translation 101 for example ) The stand off reminds me a bit of Sword Fish (though, havent seen that in a long while and doesnt have protracted use of ball bearings)

Christopher Plummer does steal the show somewhat, and is delightful in his role as owner of the bank where the heist is taking place. As before Chiwitel Ejiofor is also refreshing in his role and the adlibbed interrogation scenes are pretty cool.

Overall, decentish movie but too long and doesnt fulfil its apparent potential. Could do better

Edited by patdfb

• Moderators

No mention of the near-unbelievable scene where the kid's playing a GTA-style game and there's the heaviest handed comment ever made about videogame violence? Oh, Spike Lee, the chip on your shoulder can be seen from space. "You play games where you kill each other?"

EAT DIS, EAT DAT, EAT DIS, EAT DAT

Saw Scott Pilgrim last night. Still not sure exactly how I feel about it. Completely unique film, but I'd describe it as "unusual" before I'd describe it as "great." It's almost like it's a foreign language of film. Very entertaining, though, and I'd recommend it because I'm curious as to what other people's reactions are. I think it was the pace that was the biggest stumbling block for me, the editing was so fast that nothing really got a chance to breathe and settle. You know those cool sequences in Shaun of the Dead where he's getting ready for work? All of Scott Pilgrim's kind of like that, except with text and effects everywhere. It's bold, very assured filmmaking, but I didn't connect 100% with it.

• Paid Members

Yesterday evening, me and the good lady were at home and decided, once again, to watch a film.

"Let us watch another Will Smith film" I said, and chose Hancock on dvd.

I really enjoyed this film. I must be getting really easy to please. It was a fun film with action and romance. The story isn't necessarily a happy one however it is none the less watchable and followable. Will Smith is great, the hot blonde lady is hot (Chalize Theron)

4 stars

No mention of the near-unbelievable scene where the kid's playing a GTA-style game and there's the heaviest handed comment ever made about videogame violence? Oh, Spike Lee, the chip on your shoulder can be seen from space. "You play games where you kill each other?"

EAT DIS, EAT DAT, EAT DIS, EAT DAT

Nah, bringing the kid pizza for a social commentary on the state of computer games for young people whilst in the middle of a hostage situation was a bit far fetched ( which I did mention that the film was ).