The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Sorry for the post while the game is going, but has anyone noticed that some of the West Indies Batsmen have small cannabis leaves on their pads? I know it's very much a part of their culture, but surprised they allowed them on their international kit, especially with how in the public eye drugs in sport is at the minute.

Saying that, the way the bowlers have bowled this past few days, it looks like they have been hammering the weed!

Boycott was either feigning ignorance about the honours system to make a lame joke or being genuinely ignorant about it, but not in a malicious way. He made the comments at a Q&A so the person asking the question was probably under the false impression that Sobers, Richards, Ambrose etc. had all been given British knighthoods. The people piling on to take professional offence probably know even less about how gongs are awarded. He didn't exactly put it in a very sensitive way but we've come to expect that from him, haven't we? 

Yeah, to be fair he came out straight away and said that was unacceptable. We don't know whether someone asked him a question on that subject to get him to say something untoward (like with the prank on TMS a few weeks ago) and he just didn't mince as words as much off air, or if they were looking to have their own baseless prejudices confirmed and Boycott merely obliged. Neither motive is especially palatable, mind. 

ETA: Specifically and so it doesn't look like I'm defending him, it bothers me that the outrage about the blackface suggestion has obscured the issue by allowing the myth of disproportionately ennobled* Caribbean cricket players to go relatively unchallenged. The Minstrels – although horrendously insensitive – were actually a thing, whereas knighthoods being handed out to black cricketers like confetti were not... and I prefer it when public opprobrium is based on facts. 

*not a euphemism, BTW

Edited by Fog Dude
neurotic hole-digging

• Paid Members

I don't think any of those cricketers are undeserving though. Which England cricketers during their lifetime do you think should have been given knighthoods? I can't really think of many off the top of my head that might be deserving.

• Paid Members

Outside of the fucking stupid 'blackface' comment, my two pennies worth is that if you're that obsessed with getting a knighthood that you, and your surrogates, whine on about it for seemingly decades, you're probably a bit of a twat. I find Boycott very entertaining and spent £60 for tickets for me and Dad to see part of his 100th hundred tour, but he's also got a rich history of  being a bit of a tosser.

Boycott saying stupid things when he perceives he has been hard done by is hardly new. On missing out on the England captaincy "even the Yorkshire Ripper got a fair trial in the dock but I've not been given a single chance".

On the knighthood aspect, I don't think the WI players have been disproportionately rewarded really. A couple of the more questionable choices in terms of playing career did some good things in administration. The last English player knighted was Ian bloody Botham. Boycott's achievements are immense, but if you're only going to give one out per generation as it seems, Beefy should be first. Captured the imagination of a nation more than Boycott ever did and removed of relative playing merits (you can make a case for both), has done considerably more for charity since he retired. 

EDIT: According the ever reliable Wikipedia, Botham was knighted specifically for his charity work. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

England win the toss and bat in the second test. Root better be saving up some of these calls for the Ashes, don't think I can face another 5 tests where we get batted into oblivion. 

Can't see anything other than a repeat of the first result. Windies were so out of their depth and must be short on confidence in addition to their poor skill levels.