The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Great to see woakes back. Shame TBJ will have to miss out but I reckon he's got one foot on the plane to Oz. Habeeb played a proper openers innings this week. Hopefully he ends the season strong, looking forward to seeing Stoneman in tests though. Not enough calling up of players for the first time in their 30s these days. 

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if they will drop Roland-Jones. They might bin Malan to bring Woakes back, will probably do better with the bat. And then possibly rest one of Broad and Anderson to give Crane a shot. It's good to have the strength in depth in the bowling ranks though, Finn can't get a game these days.

• Paid Members

Like the look of Crane, but can't help but feel they have sacked Rashid off too early from the Test team. Just don't get why though. He spins it and can "bat a bit", which the English selectors seem to want to see from their spinners. Only thing that goes agains him is that he has struggled to keep it tight sometimes...

Glad to see Habeed finally got himself a decent opening knock this year. The lads got the ability to make it at the top level and up to now looks like one of the only obvious long term replacements for Cook...

• Moderators

Crane was turning it a mile last night against Glamorgan in the blast as first change and  took 3-21 on a seaming pitch which didnt look like it had much turn, and the ball wasn't deteriorated, so the talent is there. But he's only young and I worry how being smashed about in a test if we get the pitch wrong would do for his confidence. 

Look at Habeeb, a bad time in tests fucked him til this week. 

To be honest though, I think Samit Patel is a better choice than Rashid at the moment fpr spinner who bats a bit. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Crane was turning it a mile last night against Glamorgan in the blast as first change and  took 3-21 on a seaming pitch which didnt look like it had much turn, and the ball wasn't deteriorated, so the talent is there. But he's only young and I worry how being smashed about in a test if we get the pitch wrong would do for his confidence. 

Look at Habeeb, a bad time in tests fucked him til this week. 

To be honest though, I think Samit Patel is a better choice than Rashid at the moment fpr spinner who bats a bit. 

Whats Crane looking like in the County Championship this year? Not seen enough of the 4 day game as I'd have liked this year...

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Samit is the best choice if you need someone to finish off the sandwiches at tea time. He isn't a test quality batsman or spinner, and his fielding is very average.  He is very much in the modern day Ian Blackwell. 

Agreed. I think he was harshly treated in the limited overs sides because he did a good job as a containing spinner and finisher with the bat, but he's also really fat.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Samit is the best choice if you need someone to finish off the sandwiches at tea time. He isn't a test quality batsman or spinner, and his fielding is very average.  He is very much in the modern day Ian Blackwell. 

Upvote for using my typical "New Ian Blackwell" insult against me,.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Whats Crane looking like in the County Championship this year? Not seen enough of the 4 day game as I'd have liked this year...

First Class avg of 41, but he can fucking rip it. However, he's only 20. I think another season is probably better for him.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I loved being able to get home from work and watch a good few hours of domestic test cricket.

The West Indies are fucking shit. The bowling was shit, the fielding was shit and the captaincy was shit. All I've heard about day-night games is that the new ball does a bit under the lights, so Jason '74mph' Holder decides not to take it when England are about 300-3, bowls medium pace dross for three balls, before doing his hammy in and having to go off. The West Indies then proceed to bowl a bunch of tripe outside off stump with the new conker, before bowling spin at both ends to close out the day.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm aware of how appalling this side is, I'd think they were trying to fix in-play betting, it was that poor. Malan needs to get a score today, you are never going to get a better chance to put yourself on an Ashes tour. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I hope this pink ball stuff doesn't become a regular thing, I couldn't see that fucking ball all day. Just play with a white ball. I'm fine with experimenting with day-night tests, even though we don't need it over here because it doesn't go dark and the crowds are still great for tests, but it was impossible to watch, especially early on.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I hope this pink ball stuff doesn't become a regular thing, I couldn't see that fucking ball all day. Just play with a white ball. I'm fine with experimenting with day-night tests, even though we don't need it over here because it doesn't go dark and the crowds are still great for tests, but it was impossible to watch, especially early on.

I was the same with the pink ball. It did get easier when the lights came on though. I just don't think it is worth the hassle to have day/night tests over here, what with how long was actually played in the dark, under the lights. 

Still think the ball needs sorting too. Obviously they can't use the white ball due to the players wearing the traditional whites, and the lack of swing it gives would take away a lot of test bowlers biggest weapons. I just don't get why, what with the amount we understand about chemicals and shit these day, someone can't just make a high vis ball that behaves the same as the traditional cherry. They were saying yesterday that the only difference was they couldn't put the grease in the dye when dying the leather as it will fuck up the colour, but there must be another sort of grease that doesn't mess with the colour.

Still, I suppose money talks and they will miraculously find that magic ingredient if these Day/Nighters become the norm and the demand for the pink(or whatever colour) ball goes up... 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

I loved being able to get home from work and watch a good few hours of domestic test cricket.

It'll be interesting to see if Sky suddenly announce markedly increased ratings for the 6pm onwards part of the day.

It didn't seem to be that successful as a live spectacle, with shots of people getting the buses back to the city centre of Birmingham shown at around 8pm. 

Saying that, a better opposition would have made the whole thing more interesting. England are probably going to get 700 here.