Stokes

Bairstow

Ali

Woakes

Roland-Jones

Broad

Wood

Anderson

I need a reserve wicketkeeper to make a XV, don't want to get banned though. I haven't picked another spinner because I want Rashid and don't think they'll take him.

For a starting XI

Cook
Stoneman
Root

Hales
Stokes
Bairstow
Ali

Rashid (unlikely to actually happen, but I think Root/Stokes would use him more attackingly, which would suit him)
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Woakes
Roland-Jones

Crane (will go instead of rashid, not sure he'll start the series though)
Hameed (could see him getting a go at 3, with Ali a sole spinner and everyone else moving down a spot)

Foakes

Malan's probably going instead of Rashid as he'll be batting cover.

• Paid Members

Cook

Hameed 

Livingstone

Root 

Stokes

Bairstow 

Ali

Woakes 

Broad

Leach

Anderson

As starting eleven 

Wood

Coverton 

Rashid

Malan

Stoneman 

Foakes 

On the plane and carrying drinks 

Yeah, no chance of that happening and I'm forcing Leach into the line up because he's Somerset and amazing. In the real world, I would get rid of Leach and put Rashid in before Broad in that line up

Edited by Gus Mears

• Moderators

TRJ out as of today. Gutted. Saw this coming Mears, I was going to fucking knock fuck out of you for not taking him, but fair play, you can predict a bad back.

Hameed's fucked as well seemingly. I wanted Hameed at 2 and Stoneman at 3 as I like 3 openers in test cricket. Westley lives again. As has HARMISON2K10S, Steven Finn, who took 8-49 yesterday. Fucks sakes.

Any money Gary Ballbagg will find his way on the plane.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Finn is a bell and would be utterly undeserving of getting on the plane. He's been shite all summer and puts in one shift to fucking well relegate my club. Tosser. 

Ballance will be there, Butch. I'm pretty sure about it. When the nuclear apocalypse comes, the only things left will be cockroaches and rumours of Gary Ballance getting another England test call up. For the upteenth time, best we've got is Root putting team before personal preference and playing 3. If we have to put Wanker Ballance in, better at 4 or 5, considering he basically can't be bothered to learn how to change technique against test quality quicks.

I know I have mentioned this before, but it encapsulates why Ballance is a bang average player and Cook is great. When Cook had that technical fault where he kept edging outside off stump, he netted every damn day with Gooch, tried his best to improve and change, while captaining his country. He managed it in the end and got back in form. Ballance refuses to accept his problem, doesn't do the additional work and scores hatfulls against plodders and Kolpaks. He will never be a great test player. 

Whatever way we slice this,we don't have the players to win the Ashes barring a lot of good fortune.

My problem with TRJ is that I think he would have been murderded in Australian conditions. Tennis Court pitches and Roland-Jones ambling in to pitch it up with the beach ball sounds suicidal.

Edited by Gus Mears

Is there anyone around the England line up who is legitimately quick, or can offer a lot of bounce? Australia's line up will have their usual pace line up who can bowl quick and get a lot of bounce. .

I wouldn't have Hameed anywhere near that Ashes team, even as a back-up opener. He's averaged 28.50 this season and just seemed to have lost all confidence after the injury. I'd send him on tour with the Lions, or encourage him to go and play grade cricket in Australia.

Right now, my starting XI would be Cook, Stoneman, Westley, Root, Foakes, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes/Wood, Broad, Anderson.

I'd be taking Hales with me, ideally to slot into 3 if Westley doesn't work but he could also double up as a replacement opener or slot into 5. The way he's been playing this year, I'd see if Collingwood fancies a go in the slips for some experience and security when it comes to catching, plus his batting seems to be in delightful form this year. Foakes doubles up with the gloves and surely deserves a run as I think he could handle the pressure of coming into the line up for an Ashes series. Maybe Livingstone from Lancs or Matt Parkinson for a surprise option as a leggie with some real potential - though again he could be better suited to going with the Lions than carrying drinks all winter.

It's a tough one, but whatever team we take, I can't see this being a successful winter.

• Paid Members

The thought of Tom Westley facing that Australia pace attack is simultaneously pant-pissingly hilarious and pant-shittingly terrifying. Ballance can fuck off as well. I suppose Malan not being a complete failure this summer is more enough for him to get chosen but it's a no from me as well.

In other news, I love Moeen Ali.

• Paid Members

Yeah, not sure what anyone has seen in Westley to justify him playing in Australia in what is ostensibly the position where you put your best bat. Suppose he hasn't been there that long, which hardly inspires. Looked vaguely decent in his first test and has hurtled backwards since that point.

I absolutely love Mo. He seems such a nice bloke too, especially when compared to the similarly excellent Stokes.

• Paid Members

I like Plunkett and always have but if they want to pick a fast bowler for Australia then pick an actual fast bowler rather than someone who might occasionally bowl the odd delivery over 90mph like him or Wood.

They're better off just trying to bore the Aussies out by bowling line and length and giving them nowt to hit rather than trying to rough them up with pace.

• Moderators

Glenn McGrath was a line and length man and he did OK, and I'm not comparing them to each to each other, but TRJ is a tall man who bowled off the top of off stump with accuracy in good areas at around early 80s.

Ok, that is a comparision, but only in the sense line and length takes wickets. Wood's panting like a dog in a hot car after 3 overs, and Plunkett is a poor test bowler. Anyroads,"Sky Sports News Sources" (IE: Who'll be on the plane, any money, despite them not having the rights to the Ashes) claim Gary Ballbag is going on tour. Fuckssakes.

Anyway, here's a picture of Chris Tremlett these days.

AMnR0GL2.jpg

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Ashes squad:

Root, Cook, Stoneman, Malan, Ballance, Vince, Moeen, Crane, Foakes, Bairstow, Stokes, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Ball, C. Overton.

4-1 Australia. Glenn McGrath to hold traditional 'worst England squad ever to tour Australia' press conference by tea time. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I find Vince being in the squad more baffling than Ballance. Looked an absolute donkey at test level and has a stonking average of 32 this year. Crane, who can't even get in the Hampshire team and has an average of 42 this year, getting the nod over Leach is par for the course.