The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Good to see a sporting pitch for the first test rather than the featherbed that was predicted. Should make for a nice even contest. Disappointing that they let Johnson and Haddin get away from them, but if you get a team out for under 350 (which they should do, barring a tail wagging) when they elect to bat then you've done a great job.

Only problem is that England's batting has been crap for about a year now so even that could be a challenging total. Anderson bowled beautifully, probably better than Broad actually, but I can't see Tremlett getting much more cricket after this as he looks knackered and a yard off where he was 3 years ago.

Really pleased for Broad that he got a 5 wicket haul today after his treatment by the Aussie press. It's a good start, but like you Devon I'm surprised to see Tremlett back in the squad.

• Paid Members

I can see why they chose him after how well he did last time. I was more surprised to see Rankin in the squad. I thought they should have taken Chris Jordan or Graeme Onions but they wanted big tall pacers for Australia and after last night you can see why. Once Bresnan is fit he will be straight back in the team.

• Paid Members

Broad has been vilified by the by the convicts press. But instead of being a whinging Pom he has come out and stuck it right up them. Fair play to him. Tremlett has looked a little down on his pace but the ball that got the spaccy little bastard Smith bounced a bit more than he expected. With Tremlett's height and action he will surprise a few even if he is down a little in pace. Had Finn played he would have gone for the best part of a hundred runs of 19 overs, so I think Tremlett did his job.

Jesus fucking Christ...nice to see normal service being resumed for the first Test of an England series. That afternoon session was beyond painful to watch. Part of me wonders just how much of a difference it could have made had Trott managed to drag that last over out before lunch and not give Johnson another chance at him to take the wicket. Everything just seemed to click for the Australian bowlers while the batting fell apart, so maybe it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Rather takes away the cracking work that our bowlers did the first time round. We'll need that again please.

Advantage Australia, and I'd be amazed if we need a fifth day for this match.

Edited by LariatTom

• Paid Members

I've just written this match off already. That was just awful. I've no idea what happened to our batting in the last year. We can't always rely on our bowlers to pull us out of the shit.

Our batting wasn't great in the last series, but it wasn't this bad. That's the sort of collapse England used to suffer from, and had largely eliminated in the last decade.

Draft in Boycott immediately as batting coach.

Could any of our decline in batting be due to a decline in the amount and standards of proper test match batsmen? Real war of attrition types.

Probably. There aren't that many really fast bowlers to bat against. When Johnson bowled that hostile spell, we couldn't take it as we aren't used to it. The only other really quick bowler is Dale Steyn, he is very intimidating and that what makes him the best quick in the world. Also more often or not we just get ourselves out.

Overall, England are crap in the opening tests of away series. Out of 14 away opening matches, we have only won one, against South Africa in 2005/6.

Doesn't Finn bowl at 90mph? He's a bit wayward for my liking but after the 1st innings horror show, the batsmen should be begging him to bowl bouncers at them in the nets. I know Johnson's a leftie but they need to get used to a bit of extra pace and sharpish.

That 1st innings collapse was 90's level soul destroying.

Trott has had the last three months to prepare for someone bowling ninety clicks at his rib cage. If he's not worked out how to play it, then he won't find the answer by next week. Carberry was unlucky, and he at least looks like he knows how to play the quick stuff. KP will either get a run a ball ton or fail.

At least the deck at Adelaide should suit us better, but God help us when we play Perth.

Big news this morning is that Trott's gone home:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/25085025

Turns out that he's suffering from a "stress-related condition" (I'm thinking anxiety) which he's been battling for a long time, but has just overwhelmed him on this tour.

Looking at his demeanour in this test, I can well believe that - he looked all over the place. Sounds similar to what finished Trescothick's test career.

Now here's the thing - how much is sledging just an acceptable part of the game, and how much is it something that now needs to be reined in? Some of the shit that's been said both on and off the field in this test has seemed way over the top.