What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

For me, Heroes was one of those shows that everyone seemed to rave about, but when you asked what was so good about it no-one could tell you.

It was a show that got a bit of buzz and everyone went wild about it for a little while (wasn't there a planned spin-off series called 'Origins' in the pipeline at one point?) and then something else came along a year later and people quickly forgot about it

I stuck with it for the first 2 series due to my admiration for Hayden Panettiere's considerable charms. Thankfully she's now displaying them in Nashville, which is a much better series.

Has anybody seen Mob City which has been on Fox? It's from the creator of the Walking Dead

I've really enjoyed the first 6 episodes and I've been pissed off to find out that the 6th episode was the final one as it got cancelled in the US due to poor ratings.

It was a show based on Micky Cohen, Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky (to some extent)

Any one else seen all 6 episodes?

Did it at least wrap it up at the end of the 6 episodes? At least that way it can act as a mini-series.

And Frank Darabont didn't create The Walking Dead

Thats the thing in the US though, if you don't get those ratings from the off your pretty much fucked. Awake, The Chicago Code, Ringer, all decent shows (especially Awake) that got canned after one series due to not having the ratings that shite like NCIS have

Edited by KingOfMetal

• Moderators
Has anybody seen Mob City which has been on Fox? It's from the creator of the Walking Dead

I've really enjoyed the first 6 episodes and I've been pissed off to find out that the 6th episode was the final one as it got cancelled in the US due to poor ratings.

It was a show based on Micky Cohen, Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky (to some extent)

Any one else seen all 6 episodes?

It's shit. The first season was only due to be 6 anyway, but they burned it off 2 episodes at a time, because it turned out to be awful. It was so broad, it felt like those Star Trek episodes where they fuck around on the holodeck and go back to the 1940s; cartoonish noir gangster cliches without an original thought in the whole thing. Anyone doing a half-arsed 'noir voice' ("When that dame backed her caboose into my office, it was moi-dah!" etc) will achieve the same effect.

• Paid Members

What's the point in them doing that when Boardwalk Empire already has those characters? Well, two of them already. It's only going to be compared to it and likely be shit in comparison.

Edit: I haven't seen it, but the title makes me think it's going to be shit. MOB CITY. Might as well call it Gangsterz R Us. Gangster Squad had a terribly, generic, so-obvious-for-the-dumb name and that film is apparently rotten.

Edited by PunkStep

Did it at least wrap it up at the end of the 6 episodes? At least that way it can act as a mini-series.

And Frank Darabont didn't create The Walking Dead

Thats the thing in the US though, if you don't get those ratings from the off your pretty much fucked. Awake, The Chicago Code, Ringer, all decent shows (especially Awake) that got canned after one series due to not having the ratings that shite like NCIS have

Sorry, I know the Walking Dead is based on a comic but assumed he was the guy who turned it into a TV show. I stand corrected

No it didn't rap it up, if anything some major shit went down in episode 6 which would have set up Season two's storyline very nicely. I would still strongly recommend giving the series a watch.

Yes due to shows getting chopped so often it has forced me to rarely watch TV shows when they first debut. I usually wait until at least 3 seasons before I start watching from the beginning, that said, HBO shows are the exception to my rule as they tend to give their shows more time to grow.

EDIT: For some reason my laptop didn't load all the other comments before I posted this.

Fair comments from Woy and Arch.

Yea the name Mob City is not great and Gangster Squad was a terrible film so don't bother with that. I enjoyed this show though, strong cast and I don't think they blew anything off too quick at all.

Edited by Zebra Kid Mark

• Paid Members
Yes due to shows getting chopped so often it has forced me to rarely watch TV shows when they first debut. I usually wait until at least 3 seasons before I start watching from the beginning, that said, HBO shows are the exception to my rule as they tend to give their shows more time to grow.

Yeah, the same rules I pretty much apply for watching a US drama series. If it's not HBO and I get into it from the start, it could get canned or eventually turn out to be shit. If the latter, there's an almost obligation to keep watching it, just in case it gets good. Therefore I'll generally see what the reviews are like after the first two series before giving it a go.

But with HBO from my experience you can't go wrong- Game of Thrones, Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire and others I've loved and enjoyed from the start. True Detective certainly looks another gem judging from the first episode. God bless Sky Atlantic.

Yeah, the same rules I pretty much apply for watching a US drama series. If it's not HBO and I get into it from the start, it could get canned or eventually turn out to be shit. If the latter, there's an almost obligation to keep watching it, just in case it gets good. Therefore I'll generally see what the reviews are like after the first two series before giving it a go.

But with HBO from my experience you can't go wrong- Game of Thrones, Newsroom, Boardwalk Empire and others I've loved and enjoyed from the start. True Detective certainly looks another gem judging from the first episode. God bless Sky Atlantic.

Yes I started watching True Detective last night thanks to Sky Go. I am addicted to the theme song, love it.

Link below for anyone who wants to listen

I was very impressed with the first episode of True Detective. I read somewhere that it takes a few episodes to get going but I was almost instantly hooked, despite the first scene being worringly reminiscent of the very average Hannibal.

The two leads are exceptional as you might expect and some of Mcconaughey