What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

I saw the first episode, it certainly has potential.

I didn't like the talking picture of Marilyn Monroe, it reminded me of the talking fish episode of The Soprano's. Which I also thought was shite.

It's a weird cross between the sheen and glitz of a CSI, and the subdued, tense character-driven style of a Sopranos. Some of the scenes felt a little rushed, and some of the peripheral characters were really poorly acted. BUT if it grows into its premise, and prioritises the strong actors/characters, then it could be very good.

• Paid Members
What about Ray Donovan? Any watchers on here?

Haven't watched it yet, but definitely one I'll try. Good cast and good idea for a show. First thing I think of when I see the advert is Michael from GTA V.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I loved it. Each season is hotly anticipated over here coz it's probably the only decent fucking thing we've produced for TV, ever.

(Father Ted doesn't count, because Channel 4 distributed it after all Irish networks balked at the very idea.)

Brendan Gleesons son is a right cunt in it. Everyone plays their parts well and it's well worth the punt.

• Paid Members
Not a fan of Mrs Brown's Boys then Branquey?

Absolutely despise Brendan O Carroll. In fairness, the man has made a fortune from wearing a headscarf and talking a pitch higher while trying to make his chin touch his nose, but I really think it's a show even worse than the one with them Kardashian cunts.

I actually got into a huge row at Christmas over that show with the aged in my family. I won't go into it, but I got very passionate and people weren't talking to me the following day.

• Awards Moderator
Brendan Gleesons son is a right cunt in it. Everyone plays their parts well and it's well worth the punt.

So close to a beautiful rhyming couplet.

Totally agree with Scott Malbranque about both love/hate an mrs brown. Love/hate is the best thing ever produced over here. I watched all 3 series (16 episodes) in 3 days over Christmas. Aidan Gillan, Robert Sheehan and Tom Vaughan Lawlor are just fantastic and like Branquey says Brendan gleesons son is a total cunt and watching him was almost uncomfortable if that makes sense.

As for that short cunt O'Carroll, I can't be the only one that finds it strange that he dresses as an old woman and then casts his wife and son in roles where they constantly call him mammy.

An Irish friend of mine told me that his stage version of it, which the tv series is based on, was much funnier and filthier, but the transition to family-friendly tv fare has ruined it.

Is that true?

• Paid Members
An Irish friend of mine told me that his stage version of it, which the tv series is based on, was much funnier and filthier, but the transition to family-friendly tv fare has ruined it.

Is that true?

My in-laws have seen it live, and they said it's definitely much filthier than the TV show. I'm sure it's probably just as shit, though.

• Awards Moderator

I've been watching The Hero, purely because it's hosted by The Rock :love:

It's a reality gameshow: people live in a house, weekly challenges, blah blah blah. Contestants react with mega histrionics whenever there's the slightest hint of working for yourself instead of the team (in an elimination show...) so it's really mawkish and overwrought. It's CHOCK FULL of the "believe in yourself, go Team USA" stuff so us wrestling fans should feel at home.

However without fail every episode I tear up a little bit at The Rock cheering on or consoling someone. He's just the most decent guy.

It's a very silly show but a reasonable diversion. One of the contestants is a wrestler, Shaun Ricker (never 'eard of 'im).