What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

• Moderators
EDIT - Fuck it, going with another Butch recommendation and starting Trailer Park Boys.

I won't say a bad word about that one.. Carry on!

Re: the shield - I have only ever liked two cop shows, The Wire and, of course, CHiPs. Will I get into it?

Also, I'm glad to say I have found other people who haven't been able to get into Breaking Bad; I'm no longer the only person in the world who doesn't like it. In celebration of this I've downloaded all of Malcolm in the Middle so I can watch Bryan Cranston being hilarious instead of depressing.

• Paid Members
EDIT - Fuck it, going with another Butch recommendation and starting Trailer Park Boys.

Just watched the first episode, bloody ace. I'm going to hammer through these on Netflix.

• Paid Members
Re: the shield - I have only ever liked two cop shows, The Wire and, of course, CHiPs. Will I get into it?

I watched The Shield after The Wire and couldn't get into it at all. After the realism of The Wire, The Shield just comes across as completely absurd tripe. Give The Shield a go, but it is literally nothing like The Wire whatsoever.

• Moderators

Just watched the first episode, bloody ace. I'm going to hammer through these on Netflix.

I think the fact that it's actually somewhat tender, and touching in it's own little way, at times is what really puts it over the top. Fine show. I also drank Rum and Coke without ever putting the glass down whenever I went out for about a year after first watching it as well.

The Wire was one of the greatest shows on TV but I felt they totally jumped the shark on the last season (won't go into details as I don't wanna spoil it for anybody) but I'll just say "ribbons" and those in the know will know.

Deadwood is also a criminally under rated show.....just a shame that writers strike put it to bed without a satisfying conclusion.

I did love the Shield for what it was a trashy guilty pleasure :)

• Paid Members
I think the fact that it's actually somewhat tender, and touching in it's own little way, at times is what really puts it over the top. Fine show. I also drank Rum and Coke without ever putting the glass down whenever I went out for about a year after first watching it as well.

I can genuinely picture you doing that as well!

Yeah, I definitely got that from the second episode especially, popped on another one during lunch. Really impressed with it and I already feel like I really know so many of the characters.

• Paid Members
Deadwood is also a criminally under rated show.....just a shame that writers strike put it to bed without a satisfying conclusion.

Deadwood was cancelled in July 2006, the writer's strike was November 2007.

Deadwood was cancelled because it had massive production values/actor salaries and the show was losing money by the bucketload despite it getting good ratings/DVD sales.

Has anyone else tried either the new Dallas or the new show from the producers of The Shield, The Chicago Code?

I've started watching the latter, and it's not really very good. I may stick with it as I do love a police procedural, but there's something very artificial about it.

New Dallas looks a lot better, if you liked the original. If you didn't, you'll hate it

Has anyone else tried either the new Dallas or the new show from the producers of The Shield, The Chicago Code?

I've started watching the latter, and it's not really very good. I may stick with it as I do love a police procedural, but there's something very artificial about it.

New Dallas looks a lot better, if you liked the original. If you didn't, you'll hate it

I really enjoyed the The Chicago Code and was gutted when i heared of its cancellation. Theres only 13 eps made which is a huge shame

Chest, I would recommend The Shield to anyone. I would not consider it trashy at all. It's not as slow paced and story driven as The Wire, it's very much an action drama. I've watched it through twice and enjoyed it thoroughly. I intend to watch it again with my lad when he's a bit older. It's probably my favourite TV show to be honest.

I'm about half way through season 3 of Breaking Bad at the moment. It has really lost it's way and I'm getting a little fed up with it. I'll finish the season and decide from there if I want to continue.

Deadwood was cancelled in July 2006, the writer's strike was November 2007.

Deadwood was cancelled because it had massive production values/actor salaries and the show was losing money by the bucketload despite it getting good ratings/DVD sales.

I'm sure I read that they were gonna do a few feature length TV movies to wrap it up but the strike had got in the way and by the time it had ended a lot of the cast had signed onto to other projects.....I dunno maybe I dreamed it but I thought that's what had happened might be on the IMDB page in the trivia section :)

But when you read what happened to all the characters at the end in real life.....it would have been awesome to see

I love that the new series of Dallas leapt straight into Bobby having cancer. No fucking around, launch straight into a life-threatening illness. He'll find a miracle cure by the end of the series I expect.

• Paid Members
Chest, I would recommend The Shield to anyone. I would not consider it trashy at all.

It is definitely trashy. I think that's what put me off it more than anything else.

Here's one example:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

In season one there is an episode where a Chinese schoolboy tortures his own grandparents because he wants their money and ends up nailing their feet to the floor. It's fucking horrible and disgusting but also a completely pointless and desperate attempt to be "dark and gritty". It adds nothing to the story or characters. It just wants the viewer to have a shock moment when it see's two old people screaming in pain with their bloody feet nailed to the floor.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

And it's handling of racial issues and presentation of children with disabilities is about as subtle as a sledgehammer to the face. Not that there's anything wrong with trashy entertainment. Wrestling is probably the trashiest entertainment of them all. The Shield just wasn't for me is all.

Edited by LaGoosh