What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

So now in The Voice the contestants attempt to try and outsingshout each other. Genius...

Not loving this quite as much now.

I tuned in for a few minutes here before Homeland, its beyond awful. Jessie J is horrible looking, but her little dances and doing the air drums is the most fucking annoying thing i've ever seen. The sing battles are terrible. I hate everything about this show.

Holly looks nice though.

I know opinion tends to be divided on here, but even as a fan, I've been blown away by the latest series of South Park. Cash 4 Gold looked like one of those episodes that would steal the season early, but then the following episodes carried that on in glorious fashion. The MEME and Butterballs ones were instant classics, and then they did it again with the fucking fantastic (and perfectly observed) Ziplining ep.

One criticism of the show I'll often agree with is the consistency, but even with weaker episodes I think it's often in a class of its own. If they keep the quality rate up through the second half of the season, it's on for one of the best runs for the show ever. Also, fuck The Simpsons. It's been a dead duck for so many years now, whilst South Park still takes chances and doesn't splutter along, and as it will run at least till 2016, will be coming up on 20 years for what some people still think is just a sweary late nighter. The Seth shows don't get fucking near it most of the time, and no others have anywhere near the tenure Matt and Trey now have. South Park is king.

• Paid Members

No doubt. The fact that they come up with most of the shows only about 6 days before they air is insane in itself. Trey Parker (who is the main creative force, scriptwriter and director on the show) must have the most ridiculously creative mind of anyone to have ever lived.

• Moderators

I love how it's always so up to date.. that's something really unique the show has.

One of the side effects of that is you get the occasional weaker episodes. Those are always good for a watch, anyway, even if they're not ones you'll go back to and watch again.

Well worth it, I think.

• Paid Members
So now in The Voice the contestants attempt to try and outsingshout each other. Genius...

Not loving this quite as much now.

You must be talking about those two birds, one with the red hair. They were fucking rotten. I was hoping the judges would grow some balls and actually say to them "WHAT WERE YOU DOING, YOU WERE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A LOUDER RACKET TO GET YOURSELF OVER".

It was The Voice's equivalent of an indy-flip frapper match, massive high-spots from the start in hope to outshine the other. I mean, Firework isn't a well-sung song in the first place (as Katy Perry literally just shouts rather than actual singing), but to make it sound EVEN worse is one hell of an achievement. Well done, girls.

• Paid Members
I know opinion tends to be divided on here, but even as a fan, I've been blown away by the latest series of South Park. Cash 4 Gold looked like one of those episodes that would steal the season early, but then the following episodes carried that on in glorious fashion. The MEME and Butterballs ones were instant classics, and then they did it again with the fucking fantastic (and perfectly observed) Ziplining ep.

One criticism of the show I'll often agree with is the consistency, but even with weaker episodes I think it's often in a class of its own. If they keep the quality rate up through the second half of the season, it's on for one of the best runs for the show ever. Also, fuck The Simpsons. It's been a dead duck for so many years now, whilst South Park still takes chances and doesn't splutter along, and as it will run at least till 2016, will be coming up on 20 years for what some people still think is just a sweary late nighter. The Seth shows don't get fucking near it most of the time, and no others have anywhere near the tenure Matt and Trey now have. South Park is king.

Indeed. South Park, for me, is easily the best show ever on TV. Even the poor episodes are only poor by South Park standards. A bad South Park episode would still piss all over a good Family Guy episode IMO. I do like American Dad, but Family Guy has really gone to the dogs for the last 5 or 6 seasons.

You're also right about The Simpsons, dead duck. Its been a dead duck for years. And who watches a dead duck? Nobody. Not even its mother. She just flies away looking sad.

i've had the "jacking it in San Diego" song in my head for weeks

Back in the day when south park was at its most popular it was nowhere near as consistently good as it is now. love them to have a go at another movie. they would have the full collection of awards by now if it wasnt for phil collins stealing their oscar

• Awards Moderator

Not so much 'on the telly', but I recently got hold of every episode of Cheers. It's even more wonderful than I remember. I'm up to series 4 of 11 and I've been howling laughing at every episode. The supporting characters are great, but the timing and delivery of some of the lines between Carla, Coach, Sam and Diane is absolute gold. It's definitely one of the most consistent comedies of all time and although it's a good while since I saw the later series, I can't see the quality dropping too much. I'm just up to where Woody Harrelson replaces Coach behind the bar and some of his lines, whilst probably not as good at Coach's, have floored me. I only intended on watching a couple of episodes here and there but I'll probably be watching as much as I can when I get some free time. If anyone has never seen it, try to get hold of some. It's just brilliant.

Started watching Game of Thrones over the weekend, I'm six episodes in. It's good, but you have to pay a lot of attention to family tree bullshit to get the hang of who's who in the early going. Loads of familiar TV/Britfilm faces popping up as well. I can't wait for Jerome Flynn's debut.

• Paid Members
Not so much 'on the telly', but I recently got hold of every episode of Cheers. It's even more wonderful than I remember. I'm up to series 4 of 11 and I've been howling laughing at every episode. The supporting characters are great, but the timing and delivery of some of the lines between Carla, Coach, Sam and Diane is absolute gold. It's definitely one of the most consistent comedies of all time and although it's a good while since I saw the later series, I can't see the quality dropping too much. I'm just up to where Woody Harrelson replaces Coach behind the bar and some of his lines, whilst probably not as good at Coach's, have floored me. I only intended on watching a couple of episodes here and there but I'll probably be watching as much as I can when I get some free time. If anyone has never seen it, try to get hold of some. It's just brilliant.

I too enjoy Cheers but it really put me off when Kirsty Alley came in as Rebecca, after ages and ages of the build up to Sam/Diane it just felt like they hit the reboot button when she was brought in and it all started again. I know it was neccesary to keep the show going but it was never the same after that for me.

• Paid Members

What's the general consensus on the Spartacus series? One of the many things i've been meaning to watch for a while, i reckon it's a series that's right up my alley but, has gone the way of many others in that i've neglected as i don't really have the time or space on my Sky Planner to watch regularly when it's on or to let episodes store up. So sometime in future i might pick-up the boxsets and convince the missus to give it a go, i'm confident there's a lot that will appeal to her too. I caught a bit of a Blood and Sand episode the other night but turned it off as i'd rather start right from the beginning if i'm going to bother.

I've heard good things but some being from opinions i wouldn't particularly value. Is it worth giving it a go right from the start?

I will get round to finishing Sopranos and Breaking Bad at some point..

Edited by ShortOrderCook

I was actually fairly glad that Diane left. The Sam/Diane thing was totally overplayed and I think the program needed a bit of a new direction. I think without the increasingly tiresome love story it gave supporting cast, particularly Frasier, a chance to Flourish.

Favourite cheers moments/episodes/minor characters etc? Everything with Harry the Hat was great I thought and also loved pretty much everything Cliff did.

• Moderators
What's the general consensus on the Spartacus series? One of the many things i've been meaning to watch for a while, i reckon it's a series that's right up my alley but, has gone the way of many others in that i've neglected as i don't really have the time or space on my Sky Planner to watch regularly when it's on or to let episodes store up. So sometime in future i might pick-up the boxsets and convince the missus to give it a go, i'm confident there's a lot that will appeal to her too. I caught a bit of a Blood and Sand episode the other night but turned it off as i'd rather start right from the beginning if i'm going to bother.

I've heard good things but some being from opinions i wouldn't particularly value. Is it worth giving it a go right from the start?

I will get round to finishing Sopranos and Breaking Bad at some point..

I've been pimping Spartacus constantly. I'm going to make it my full-time job between now and the next season airing to let the world know how amazing it is. So, yes. Watch it. It's The Wire good. But bear in mind that the first three episodes are trashy and a bit stupid, but around episode four - BOOM - it suddenly becomes genuinely incredible, and maintains that quality for the entire rest of the run so far. I truly put it up there as the joint best TV show of all time.

• Paid Members
I was actually fairly glad that Diane left. The Sam/Diane thing was totally overplayed and I think the program needed a bit of a new direction. I think without the increasingly tiresome love story it gave supporting cast, particularly Frasier, a chance to Flourish.

Favourite cheers moments/episodes/minor characters etc? Everything with Harry the Hat was great I thought and also loved pretty much everything Cliff did.

It just felt like they did the exact same thing only with Rebecca in the role of Diane for me. The Harry the Hat episode where he helps them trick the guy to get Coach's money back is fantastic.