What have you been watching on (proper scripted) telly?

Dynamite Duane

May I just ask if anyone else is watching Paul Merton's Birth of Hollywood? Thus far I think it's been a cracker. I'll admit I'm constantly interested in old hollywood and films, and this has been very good. Paul Merton is a great narrator as well.

I came in here to raise the 'Birth of Hollywood' to you fine people too. It really is very good, after watching the first episode I couldn't find the second on Iplayer, until last night (which also had episode 3). I thought episode 2 was particularly fantastic, focusing on Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle and the trial that ultimately led to his downfall. Anyone unfamiliar with the case, or that would like a delving look into the origins of film, should watch this.

Well done Mr. Merton.

Oh didn't know it was more then a one off, caught most of one last week and really enjoyed it.

Edited by ukfan11

• Awards Moderator
May I just ask if anyone else is watching Paul Merton's Birth of Hollywood? Thus far I think it's been a cracker. I'll admit I'm constantly interested in old hollywood and films, and this has been very good. Paul Merton is a great narrator as well.

I came in here to raise the 'Birth of Hollywood' to you fine people too. It really is very good, after watching the first episode I couldn't find the second on Iplayer, until last night (which also had episode 3). I thought episode 2 was particularly fantastic, focusing on Roscoe 'Fatty' Arbuckle and the trial that ultimately led to his downfall. Anyone unfamiliar with the case, or that would like a delving look into the origins of film, should watch this.

Well done Mr. Merton.

I did a university project on the Roscoe Arbuckle case, it really was interesting and like Merton said my research pointed to William Brady and Maude Delmont being the villians of the piece. Virginia Rappe was too messed up from a life of abuse and heartbreak to be anything other than a victim, sadly. I wished he had made this then as I probably could've done half the work I did and not spent so much on books.

I missed this on TV but have been watching it on iPlayer over the past couple of days based on the recommendations on here. I'd like to thank you all for bringing it up because I might not have watched if this thread hadn't reminded me. Excellent series - I know very little about early Hollywood, but it's absolutely fascinating and you can tell how much Merton loves the subject matter. The Arbuckle story in episode 2 was absolutely compelling and very affecting in places. Poor guy.

• Paid Members

Couldn't get into Mad Men at all, not keen on the era it's set in. On the other hand though I bought the box sets of The League of Gentlemen and The Fast Show today, so I have plenty to watch. Also got Season 5 of 30 Rock downloading, seeing as I can't buy it on dvd yet.

• Paid Members

Fucking awesome. There is SO much unresolved and they've also sowed the seeds for some new storylines already. So if they're starting filming next month, it's going to be ages until it's back on TV. That's going to seem like fucking forever, I need my fix now!

And for the benefit of those that will catch it later:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

FUCKING DRAGONS!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

My thoughts Chesty

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I'm not upset that Bean is dead to be honest. He was very good in his role (to be fair, it's Sean Fuckin' Bean) and him being in this series drew me to it in the first place, but there was little more you could do with him. Plus, virtually EVERY other character in the series was better. Seriously, is there a bad character? At all? Everyone and everything is absolutely great. It's quite literally up there with The Sopranos based on the first series. Let's hope the second series continues with the same strength.

And it's a shame there wasn't more of Drogo killing people, but hey we have the Conan remake coming up soon :thumbsup:

• Moderators

Regarding Game of Thrones... we're going to have to read the books now, aren't we? :(

10 months is a long way away. And that's just for season 2. I've been super lucky with the first season, in (carefully) following post-episode discussions online, and somehow managing to avoid spoilers, but the odds of being able to keep that up until the show's finished airing are wildly small. Seems like it's a tradeoff of not being surprised by the big shockers when they air on TV because you've read the books, versus not being shocked at all because you've wandered into a big spoiler on the internet.

Plus, it's so fucking great, who can wait? TV just has way more impact for me though. Fuck.

#firstworldproblems

super spoiler game of thrones gif below

tumblr_ln38d75CWB1qzoaqio1_400_1308588999.gif

all Tv shows should end like this, with a shot of a gorgeous naked woman with some dragons

not sure how you would work it into other shows but i'll find a way

Edited by iamtheman

• Moderators

I've made the decision not to read the books.. There's so many things on my reading and viewing lists already that I think I can hold out and stay spoiler free til the next season. I think I'll enjoy it more for resisting.

I hate the shadow of spoilers hanging over me created by the books though. Living in fear constantly!

• Awards Moderator
I'm reading the book at the same pace I'm watching it on TV - slowly.

I tried to do that. Didn't work. Am currently halfway through the fourth book. Oops. They're very good, though. Woyzeck, just buy yourselves the books. Better that than some arse spoilering something for you.

I like how a lot of the summer solstice-related tweets today have taken the theme of "you know what this means - winter is coming". References are fun.

And so to conclude,

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

DRAGONS!!!

[close spoiler]

");document.close();