UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Was his last match with Doug Williams at Wembley?

That'll be some claim to fame for Doug, if it ends up being true.

• Paid Members

Sting was his last match. He wrestled him the week before Bound For Glory 2011. Flair will probably wrestle again, but he had a blood clot in his leg. He was due to wrestle a few months back for All Japan. Someone will cough the money up for him to get his swimming trunks back on.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Is Puerto Rico a good place to work nowadays? I've just finished watching a Dean Ambrose shoot from his Jon Moxley days where he says he had a whale of a time on drugs and all that but lost out on a lot of money that was owed to him. I understand Carlito probably makes a fair bit from being his father's son but does anyone else get good money out there? Are there any decent promotions out that way?

My interest led me to some piece written by Dutch Mantel about Bruiser Brody's murder. Is it a safer country to work in now?

• Paid Members

Going round a mates house on Saturday while his missus is on her hen-do & the plan is to get some beers, a take away & watch an old PPV. Given we're both pretty familiar with WWF/E I'm leaning towards a WCW event. Can anyone advise (spoiler free pls) which of their World War 3 events was the best? 1997 is leading at the moment. Any other WCW PPV's recommendation are also welcome.

Cheers in advance.

Going round a mates house on Saturday while his missus is on her hen-do & the plan is to get some beers, a take away & watch an old PPV. Given we're both pretty familiar with WWF/E I'm leaning towards a WCW event. Can anyone advise (spoiler free pls) which of their World War 3 events was the best? 1997 is leading at the moment. Any other WCW PPV's recommendation are also welcome.

Cheers in advance.

Best WCW PPVs in my opinion are Spring Stampede 1994 (Flair/Steamboat, Vader/Bossman, Runnells/Buck), Spring Stampede 1999 (Horsemen/Raven and Saturn, Juvie/Blitz, Sandman/Bigelow), Wrestlewar 1992 with the Dangerous Alliance Wargames and Steiners beating up the Japanese is also good.

Cheers in advance.

Personally id go with 1995. The first one I found more enjoyable than the other years and the ending kept you enticed to what was going to happen on the weekly TV. If I remember right they had a Sting vs Ric Flair match on the cards as well as DDP & Mark Mero feuding over the TV belt. If your a japanese fan you ll love the tag team womens match they had with those girls who wrestled on the Survivor Series PPV. Pretty sure Benoit & Sasuke wrestled on the show as well so all in all a entertaining PPV.

• Paid Members
Is Puerto Rico a good place to work nowadays? I've just finished watching a Dean Ambrose shoot from his Jon Moxley days where he says he had a whale of a time on drugs and all that but lost out on a lot of money that was owed to him. I understand Carlito probably makes a fair bit from being his father's son but does anyone else get good money out there? Are there any decent promotions out that way?

My interest led me to some piece written by Dutch Mantel about Bruiser Brody's murder. Is it a safer country to work in now?

Dutch Mantell mentioned that Puerto Rico is a far safer work environment nowadays although still comparatively dangerous.

As for money, Shane Sewell's been there for years as one of their top wrestlers and I think he's turned down a few offers to come back to the USA and Canada from a few companies (not WWE) so he must be doing okay. I think Dutch said on his Guest Booker that he was making $1500 a week (I think that was the figure) during his heyday as a wrestler there. I'd be surprised if anyone makes that these days, though.

• Paid Members

Dead Mike, if your mate is familiar with WWF/E, I'd go for World War 3 1996. It was a toss up between 96 and 98, but if you went for 98 you might have to explain the nWo backstory and the way they've split into two, plus the undercard is shite with the two no-contests, a Bobby Duncum match and the fact the monster World Champion is having a night off. Page/Bret is good, but on the whole it's just not a satisfying card. Have a go at 1996 for a great snapshot of the the "nWo invading" and "Sting's gone off in a huff" period.

If you're looking for PPVs that have just got lots of good matches on, I'd personally entertain SuperBrawl II (Pillman/Liger, Rhodes & Windham/Austin & Zbyszko, Steiners/Anderson & Eaton, Steamboat/Rude), Beach Blast '92 (Sting/Cactus, Vader debut, Rude/Steamboat Iron Man) or Spring Stampede '94 as mentioned.

If you want one that simply has the best/most heated single match on it, I'd pick between SuperBrawl I (Sting/Luger v Steiners) or Wrestle War '92 (for the best War Games of all time).

If you fancy one where you can set the scene and watch a storyline play out throughout - Starrcade '97. The climax of the year's storylines with the nWo against WCW for the World title (Hogan v Sting) the US title (Perfect v DDP) and control of Nitro (Bischoff v Zbyszko) as well as Luger/Bagwell and an undercard Steiners six-man.

The first one I found more enjoyable than the other years and the ending kept you enticed to what was going to happen on the weekly TV.

I don't think that's particularly relevant when they're just going to sit down and watch the PPV, 18 years later.

If your a japanese fan you ll love the tag team womens match they had with those girls who wrestled on the Survivor Series PPV.

Not one of the four girls that wrestled at World War 3 ever wrestled on a Survivor Series. But yeah, if Dead Mike and his mate know Japanese wrestling one team is Bull Nakano (former WWF Womens Champion) and Akira Hokuto, one of the best Joshi wrestlers ever.

Pretty sure Benoit & Sasuke wrestled on the show as well so all in all a entertaining PPV.

If you mean wrestled each other, you're wrong. If you mean wrestled separate matches, you're still wrong. Sasuke didn't wrestle on that PPV. Or indeed, any WCW PPV in 1995. Or ever. In fact, I don't think he ever wrestled on a WCW show ever. I could be wrong, but he definitely never wrestled a PPV for them, as he did ECW and the WWF.

P.S. Hogan says it was his idea to win the WWF title at WrestleMania IX so he could drop it back to Yoko at a later date. ;)

Edited by air_raid

• Awards Moderator
Finally getting round to subscribing to Stone Cold's podcast. Any past episodes that are particularly good or worth a listen. I can see a good few interviews on there, which are the best ones to download?

Depends what floats your boat but I was massively impressed with the Josh Barnett two parter. I've only a casual interest in MMA but everything he talked about was fascinating.

• Paid Members
Shane Sewell was great in TNA. His facial expressions were class.

I don't remember him from TNA, I just know him as Glamour Boy Shane from whatever Puerto Rican stuff TWC was showing for a while. Did he do anything of note?