UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Paid Members

The "Royale" comes from before it was in wrestling. It was originally a gimmick match at boxing shows where a bunch of black guys (usually kids and often wearing blindfolds) would beat the shit out of each other to give everyone a laugh. It may originally have developed among slaveowners in New Orleans, which would be why you had the French spelling.

This match concept later appeared on wrestling shows in the 1930s where they sometimes used "battle royal" or "wrestling royal." I guess the logic was that they were in the US so they'd use US spelling. At this point it was simply a multiman elimination match: it wasn't till the 50s that the over the top rope bit came in.

• Paid Members

To Lister's historical perspective I can add a touch of etymological background.

I would wager that the unusual syntax (noun + adjective rather than adjective + noun) gave it a French flavour and people adjusted the spelling accordingly assuming the whole expression to be a French import, especially if the people using it in boxing were from a French-speaking background (and no doubt using the French pronunciation on royal) anyway.

But the expression since its inception in the late seventeenth century has always been battle royal, using English spelling and contemporary English words, both of which originally arrived in English in the thirteenth century. It isn't a French expression that was absorbed - it simply has an unusual syntax that resembles the French and words that originally entered the English language from French, so it certainly gives that impression, hence, I think, the confusion.

Page must have been living the life in the late 90s. I'd rather have been him than the Rock at one stage. He was the golden boy. Kimberly is definitely in the top tier of wrestling pussy in my humble opinion.

I would have to agree. I saw the forty year old virgin for the first time on Saturday and Kimberly's wobbly breast really is the star of the movie.

Terrific tit *****

• Paid Members
The WWE's use of Page on his arrival still pisses me off. He was one of the few big stars who took the buyout and was willing to come in and be part of the team, and they totally fucked him.

That pop when he revealed himself was phenomenal. How could they screw that up?

Totally agree. I've found myself re-watching his unveiling a few times in the past month or so. Everything about it was just brilliant. As good as his spell with/against Christian was, they could've done so much more with him.

Has anyone from the UKFF had any of their social networking be it tweets, touts or Facebook posts included as part of WWE programming or Impact Wrestling programming? If yes what was it you said.

There's a lad in Dundee, SWE fan and a bit slow from what I can gather (coinkidink?), filmed himself miming along to the Summerslam theme song in a Hotrod t-shirt and a travel rug fashioned into a kilt then put it on youtube. He made it onto the video wall during the Kevin Rudolph segment during the PPV several times.

This might have been better asked in the death match thread but, given what it is, I'm not sure how many fans of BJW and death matches will have picked up the show. Although maybe that's unfair and it's their most popular show of the year. I'm currently twenty minutes into BJW's Shakespeare Series Macbeth show and I don't have a fucking clue what's going on. I don't really want spoilers for the show because I'm enjoying the absurdity of it all but what the hell is this Shakespeare Series all about? Have they done more shows? What plays have they done? Why is a death match promotion in Japan doing very odd adaptations of Shakespeare plays (even before the wrestling there's a bit where a man walks in with a giant model of a fish)? Are they all mental? Do some of them stick closely to the plot?

I think that's all the questions I have. For now anyway.

Wiki wiki:

On a special episode of Raw dubbed Thursday Raw Thursday, Michaels vacated the WWF Championship;[1] he explained to fans that he was informed by doctors that he had conjured a knee injury, and that he had to retire.[53] His speech was regarded as controversial, as Michaels was allegedly unwilling to lose to Bret Hart at WrestleMania 13 (since it was noted that he was going to have a rematch with Hart at WrestleMania).[6] Michaels contemplated thoughts of retirement and stated that he "had to find his smile again," which he had "lost" somewhere down the line.[6] After knee surgery by Dr. James Andrews, Michaels returned a few months later, briefly teaming with Stone Cold Steve Austin to win the WWF Tag Team Championship.[54] In his autobiography, Michaels reveals about his real-life feud with Bret Hart, claiming that Bret did interviews on live television claiming that he [Michaels] was faking his whole injury.[55]