UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Was Bret Hart not the one rumoured? He'd just "left" the WWF like Nash and Hall had. I don't remember any speculation about it, nobody at school liked wrestling at the time (or at least didn't admit it) so I never had any discussions about it. I was hooked on it though, the Outsiders had invaded about two weeks after I started watching WCW, which I only did because we got Sky Sports cut off at the end of the football season. I hated that there was no way of watching the pay-per-view, I remember finding out it was Hogan on the TNT WCW Teletext page on the Monday or Tuesday morning before school.

• Paid Members
When the Kevin Nash and Scott Hall where doing the 3rd man gimmick who did everyone think it was at the time

All the mags (and a lot of the fans) thought it was going to be Luger, because he was a massive massive twat that could never be trusted and no one seemed to like him anyway apart from gullible smiley happy Sting (the forerunner to awesome bastard I Hate Everyone Sting), and he had very conveniently not really given a shit about losing the tag belts to Harlem Heat after "allowing himself to be distracted" which was thought to be a ruse. In honesty though that proved nothing. The fans didn't give a shit, the commentators didn't give a shit, I'm 90% sure Harlem Heat didn't give shit.

Personally? Honest answer?

I was a naive little retard at the time barely finished playing with my train set* and the line of "what's real / what's not real" had been completely destroyed at the time, so I was completely convinced it was going to be Shawn Michaels.

Incidentally I hear a lot of people say that "Heenan ruined the surprise" with his line of "Who's side is he on?" That's utter bollocks spouted by people that in my experience only saw Bash At The Beach 96 many many years later with the benefit of hindsight and used to the idea of Hogan or pretty much anyone being a heel. Watching him be "bad" on Nitro was utterly incredible and surreal at the time, and while I won't pretend to have watched the Bash live (impossible in this country at the time, after all), some of the Yanks that I've spoken to who did dismissed it as a throwaway line, just "The Brain being The Brain" as he had disparaged Hogan's character for years. They were gobsmacked, and watching it the first time a couple of years even after the show first aired, so was I.

* I still play with my train set.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members
Wasn't Davey Boy Smith a rumour for the third man?

I've been told his contract was up which would add some sense to that rumour, although I actually still have an old Wrestling World mag from that month that says it was Owen that had in fact, already left. It in no way suggested he was going to WcW, mind.

• Paid Members

Davey Boy Smith WAS the fifth man on the booking plans. They built the angle up the previous week but at the very last minute Vince threw money his way and he resigned with WWF the week he was set to join WCW. Instead the very first WCW wrestler joined the nWo when the Giant turned. The original nWo would have been Hogan, Hall, Nash, DiBiase and Davey Boy. All WWF alumni. Which would have been interesting. WCW were cheeky sods. Bulldog was on Raw the night they were building an angle for his WCW debut.

Pretty daft move in a way, because it cost Bulldog $200,000 to buy himself out his WWF contract to rejoin WCW for much shitter money. Bulldog would have been a big star in WCW, in my opinion. In 1996 he wasnt half as fucked up and useless than he was in 1998 after his big knee injury. In 1996 he was still a tremendous wrestler. Especially with the opponents he would have worked with.

This should have been the real nWo anyway:

funeral1.jpg

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

• Moderators

I always felt that Davey Boy had a fucking great second wind from his haircut until having to start off in WCW against 1st) Mongo, 2) a Fat, Shit and Injured Curt Hennig and 3) Having to team with Jim Neidhart.

Edited by ButchReedMark

• Paid Members

I remember reading that the Undertaker was looking frantically about getting out of his contract in 1996 and had sounded out Bischoff to see if he'd be interested. Bischoff allegedly said to him that the Undertaker would be useless without the "Dead Man, Undertaker" gimmick and he'd be sued all ways from Sunday if he ever used him in that way.

• Paid Members
Incidentally I hear a lot of people say that "Heenan ruined the surprise" with his line of "Who's side is he on?" That's utter bollocks spouted by people that in my experience only saw Bash At The Beach 96 many many years later with the benefit of hindsight and used to the idea of Hogan or pretty much anyone being a heel. Watching him be "bad" on Nitro was utterly incredible and surreal at the time, and while I won't pretend to have watched the Bash live (impossible in this country at the time, after all), some of the Yanks that I've spoken to who did dismissed it as a throwaway line, just "The Brain being The Brain" as he had disparaged Hogan's character for years. They were gobsmacked, and watching it the first time a couple of years even after the show first aired, so was I.

Absolutely. That the line has been edited off certain dvd releases is ridiculous.

For possibly the only time in history Dusty gave the perfectly logical response on commentary as it was unthinkable that Hogan would be on their side.

I also would add that I think some people say Heenan ruined the surprise as a way of backing up the "Heenan didn't give a fuck in WCW argument".

Absolutely. That the line has been edited off certain dvd releases is ridiculous.

For possibly the only time in history Dusty gave the perfectly logical response on commentary as it was unthinkable that Hogan would be on their side.

I also would add that I think some people say Heenan ruined the surprise as a way of backing up the "Heenan didn't give a fuck in WCW argument".

I'm sure there was a story going around at the time that Heenan said that unaware that Hogan was turning heel.

I'm not sure how accurate that it is but it's certainly a possibility. Lawler in his book describes how he always avoided booking meetings, wishing not to know what he was about to call. And based on interviews (including Kevin Sullivan) there weren't many people who knew that Hogan was even in the building, yet alone turning heel.

I remember reading that the Undertaker was looking frantically about getting out of his contract in 1996 and had sounded out Bischoff to see if he'd be interested. Bischoff allegedly said to him that the Undertaker would be useless without the "Dead Man, Undertaker" gimmick and he'd be sued all ways from Sunday if he ever used him in that way.

Can you remember where you read that?