UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

I don't recall an answer to this question anywhere on the Internet. Who was the "Japanese" photographer who blinded Hogan at King of the Ring 1993? Was it ever mentioned again? Thanks!

I believe that was Harvey Whippleman. IIRC. He should have taught Hogan how to use the flashpaper before his match in WCW with The Warrior!

I don't recall an answer to this question anywhere on the Internet. Who was the "Japanese" photographer who blinded Hogan at King of the Ring 1993? Was it ever mentioned again? Thanks!

It was one half of the Orient Express, Akio Sato.

I always thought it was Harvey Whippleman too, I think from a Power Slam Q&A years ago. Where did you find out it was Sato?

It was one half of the Orient Express, Akio Sato.

I always thought it was Harvey Whippleman too, I think from a Power Slam Q&A years ago. Where did you find out it was Sato?

Took the info from the issue of the Wrestling Observer that reviews King of the Ring (21 June '93). However, after you thought it was Whippleman aswell I looked in some subsequent issues and Meltzer appears to be backtracking on what he originally wrote: 'Judging from reviewing the tape, by the slim build of the photographer who shot the fireball from his camera, it doesn't appear to have been Akio Sato' (28 June '93 issue).

Scrap what I originally posted, and it is quite probably old Harvey afterall.

Ok, a question the active wrestlers should be able to answer here. Are ring ropes actually made with bona fide rope? It just seems to me that if real ropes were used, there would be no real give in them to spring off when running at them. The ropes used in the WWE appear to me to seem to look like faux-ropes with their shape, possibly with a plastic/rubber compound? I recall someone mentioning that the ropes used in the original ECW were "cable ropes" - I'm going to take a guess that this used twisted steel fibres or something similar coated in plastic or another shiny material? Finally, is the rope supplied in one piece or does it be fixed together when the ring is being set up? In the WWE it looks like the ropes have a very obvious connection where the two ends of the rope meet, but I don't see this much elsewhere.

• Paid Members
Ok, a question the active wrestlers should be able to answer here. Are ring ropes actually made with bona fide rope? It just seems to me that if real ropes were used, there would be no real give in them to spring off when running at them. The ropes used in the WWE appear to me to seem to look like faux-ropes with their shape, possibly with a plastic/rubber compound? I recall someone mentioning that the ropes used in the original ECW were "cable ropes" - I'm going to take a guess that this used twisted steel fibres or something similar coated in plastic or another shiny material? Finally, is the rope supplied in one piece or does it be fixed together when the ring is being set up? In the WWE it looks like the ropes have a very obvious connection where the two ends of the rope meet, but I don't see this much elsewhere.

You can get both. Some are just tight rope, and you can get steel cable ropes.....which aparently are easiser to perform moves from. I have wrestled in both, and unless they are stupidly slack i dont think its very noticable.

From what i understand, WWE use steel cable ropes with a thin plastic covering. Many "ropes" are the old school tight rope versions, with some sort of hose-pipe covering on them. Again unless the tight rope style ones are slack, you wouldnt really notice the difference.

Just on a side topic, anyone know if Harveys book is any good?

I'm wondering that as well. I think someone on here said it was the worst book they'd ever read, wrestling or otherwise.

Surely cant be worse than The Rock Says.....hehe....may focus on getting round to reading Pure Dynamite or Dutch Mantell's books

• Paid Members
Just on a side topic, anyone know if Harveys book is any good?

I'm wondering that as well. I think someone on here said it was the worst book they'd ever read, wrestling or otherwise.

Surely cant be worse than The Rock Says

I've never read Harveys book, but I have read two books worse than the Rocks, Positively Page, and whatever Goldberg's was called. Absolutely hideous, the pair of them.