UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

• Moderators
How did Teddy Long go from referee to GM?

He fucked up a bunch of finishes/matches as a ref so they had to get him away from that, but everyone liked him so they put him back in a manager role. That had him messing about with the likes of Rodney Mack and Mark Jindrak, and he showed a good bit of charisma with his thuggin' and buggin', then they made him Smackdown GM and it got old fast.

I thought they just fancied rejigging his angle with the Roadies from 1989? I'm pretty sure the web was saying for a while that they were thinking of putting him with D'Lo.

Lance Storm said it was because he was a shit ref:

Q: What is ride jumping and why do people have a problem with it? Also what were your problems with Teddy Long?

A: Ride jumping is switching rides mid trip. If I agree to travel with Christian and go to the first show with him, and then decide to switch and ride with Jericho the rest of the loop, I have ride jumped. This leaves your original partner stuck and is frowned upon. As for Teddy, at the tail end of his run as a ref there were several instances of him 3 counting planned near falls. This really screwed up matches, and I believe led to his stint as a manager then GM.

Q: In many current Q and A's you have blamed teddy long on counting to 3 at the wrong time or messing up finishes. I would think it would be the wrestlers job to kick out and not the refs job to have to make sure he kicks out. Shouldn

The most glaring faux-three count fuck-up Teddy Long did was probably during the Gangrel/X-Pac European Title match at the 1999 Royal Rumble, when X-Pac was delivering a top rope crossbody which Gangrel reversed. I'm assuming there was meant to be a 1 count and then a separate 2 count, but there was no gap inbetween so it sounded like 3 and killed the crowd stone dead.

The French did it for a while. I know they were on a shedload of 1997 PPVS. I remember Ray Rougeau, but who were the others?

Jean Brassard was the only other French announcer that I can recall. From my basic understanding of French and looking at his general demeanour he seemed to be the more excitable of the two commentators. I remember him referring to WM13 as "l'extraordinaire de WWF".

The French did it for a while. I know they were on a shedload of 1997 PPVS. I remember Ray Rougeau, but who were the others?

Jean Brassard was the only other French announcer that I can recall. From my basic understanding of French and looking at his general demeanour he seemed to be the more excitable of the two commentators. I remember him referring to WM13 as "l'extraordinaire de WWF".

The Rumble had Raymond and Jacques snr who i'm assuming is his dad. Hadn't seen it before or since.

• Paid Members

I've always wondered if they did French Canadian commentary only, or for France as well? As the French spoken isn't the same is it?

Just watched Vintage Collection this morning and saw scraps from that French show they did in 1988. I love how visually different it all looked, was this part of a global tour at the time, or just a one-off? I know in 89 & 90 they got about a bit more, as evidenced in that World Tour video with Warrior on the cover, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the 88 guys in these settings. Demos/Bulldogs was first rate, and seeing an enormous bloated Don Muracco was great too.

Any other shows from this tour or youtube clips anybody has come across, just to save me the googling? Cheers

• Paid Members
Just watched Vintage Collection this morning and saw scraps from that French show they did in 1988. I love how visually different it all looked, was this part of a global tour at the time, or just a one-off? I know in 89 & 90 they got about a bit more, as evidenced in that World Tour video with Warrior on the cover, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the 88 guys in these settings. Demos/Bulldogs was first rate, and seeing an enormous bloated Don Muracco was great too.

Pretty sure it was a one-off, perhaps a testing ground for the tour the following year. The matches were all shown on an episode of Prime Time, 8th November 1988 according to my old DVD list.

Just checked History of WWE website and it looks like they did a show in France a year earlier too. Some of those matches did air on TV but not for 4 months.

Edited by tiger_rick

Is the UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko event going to be shown over here on ESPN?

ESPN's Facebook page said it was, but last I checked, the EPG schedule didn't have it up yet.

Doesn't look promising, but at least UFC 117 is the following Saturday. I'm fucking psyched about that.

Pretty sure it was a one-off, perhaps a testing ground for the tour the following year. The matches were all shown on an episode of Prime Time, 8th November 1988 according to my old DVD list.

Just checked History of WWE website and it looks like they did a show in France a year earlier too. Some of those matches did air on TV but not for 4 months.

Any links for this floating about lads? cheers in advance if so.