UKFF Questions Thread V2

neil

Was watching some old Ravens Flock in WCW and Tenay mentioned a "Toughman/NHB" Division, this was in 1997 and was anythng really made of this?

There was definately a period when Bischoff was looking to bring in a group of legit MMA fighters, however the only name I remember as a cert was Don Frye. It is on one of the old Wrestling Observer Lives where Frye was a guest, and he tells a great tale about how he met with Eric Bischoff for lunch to discuss him joining WCW. Ernest Miller was either already with Bischoff or turned up late, then Miller started spouting off about how he would win the UFC as he would knock every one out. Frye started saying that he wouldn't knock him out, and Miller responds by saying they have never had a true world class kickboxer in the UFC, to which Frye responded with Maurice Smith. Miller kinda dismissed Smith, and was again spouting his own credentials and how he would knock everyone out. At which point Frye had enough of Miller, got in his face, and offered him outside there and then. No fight occurred, but that was the end of Frye for WCW, and probably also put the nail in the proposed MMA division. Frye also mentioned that due to his actions, WCW didn't even pay any of his bills.

Frye's incredibly lucky that Miller didnt step outside. The Cat is a THREE TIME WORLD KARATE CHAMPION. And a great dancer. He'd have stunned Frye with a one-liner and kicked him in the jaw while he was still groggy from witnessing a James Brown shuffle.

Coincidentally enough, from the current issue of the Observer that Meltzer has just released (issue 4th January 2010). Meltzer wrote a piece on Frye as he announced his retirement from MMA.

He (Frye) had talks with both WWF and WCW during that period, and in later years, had negotiations with TNA, but never wrestled for a major U.S. promotion. WWF was concerned with his legendary drinking. WCW saw him get into an argument that nearly turned into a fight with Ernest Miller, a management pet, who kept telling Frye that he

• Paid Members
WWF was concerned with his legendary drinking.

Jesus, the WWF (in an era featuring pissheads and druggy's like Steve Austin, the Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, X-Pac, The New Age Outlaws and The Road Warriors etc) were concerned about Frye's drinking habits? He must have been hardcore.

• Paid Members
Living in Scarborough, I was wondering what the best wrestling school is in the north east if anybody can help. Maybe York, Hull, Newcastle or Middlesboro. I've tried google but couldn't find a great deal. Thanks

There was definitely a thread about a "school" in Hull, think it was this one http://ukff.com/index.php?showtopic=110181

Not sure about further North, there seemed to be a decent scene up there not so long ago, dunno if it's still going.

On a Raw in between Summerslam and Breakdown (14/9), before his usual spiel, the Road Dogg said "the show must go on". The announcers didn't mention it and even Jammes himself glossed over it. Anybody know what he was on about? Somebody die/get injured or anything?

• Paid Members
On a Raw in between Summerslam and Breakdown (14/9), before his usual spiel, the Road Dogg said "the show must go on". The announcers didn't mention it and even Jammes himself glossed over it. Anybody know what he was on about? Somebody die/get injured or anything?

I know they teased a Billy Gunn heel turn around this period, because they came out with a blow up doll dressed as Gunn on an episode of Raw. Another thing, Triple H had done his knee in and wasnt seen with DX until around Survivor Series time. I assume it had something to do with one of these incidents.

Funnily enough, I remember around the same period, Kevin Kelly asking Road Dogg "will DX go there seperate ways" and Road Dogg gave a total shoot comment saying "When it comes to DX, whether you like us or not, money is thicker than water, Kevin and I think you no what I mean". Basically the same reason John Cena and DX have clogged up TV with a stale act, is because money is higher than whatever you think about the quality of the product.

Edited by Ian_hitmanhart

I know they teased a Billy Gunn heel turn around this period, because they came out with a blow up doll dressed as Gunn on an episode of Raw. Another thing, Triple H had done his knee in and wasnt seen with DX until around Survivor Series time. I assume it had something to do with one of these incidents.

Funnily enough, I remember around the same period, Kevin Kelly asking Road Dogg "will DX go there seperate ways" and Road Dogg gave a total shoot comment saying "When it comes to DX, whether you like us or not, money is thicker than water, Kevin and I think you no what I mean". Basically the same reason John Cena and DX have clogged up TV with a stale act, is because money is higher than whatever you think about the quality of the product.

I remember (and know am a few weeks away from) the "Mona Gunn" inflatable doll deal, but you might HHH is on the same episode. Though I know he crocks himself around this time (and may already have done so), so maybe he knew something. And yeah, that RD quote stuck out to me too. Of all of the half-talent guys that made a truckload of cash in a hot time, Dogg struck me as one of the most self-aware. In an interview with Raw Magazine a few months after DX split after WM15, he constantly mentions being gutted about finishing it, more because of merchandise losses than anything else. Ironic considering he and X-Pac feuded with Gunn & Chyna over DX rights in a passion vs money sort of thing at the time.

About 10-15 years ago the local paper here (Isle of Wight County Press) had a big article, with photos, about a young female wrestler from the Isle of Wight. She was apparently wrestling the womans UK champion i think. Or at the very least a popular/well knownish UK female wrestler.

This was a long time ago and i have no idea why it came in too my mind today, but i just wondered if anyone knew who she was?

• Paid Members
I'm not sure as to why he didn't wrestle all summer but in Sean Waltman and Scott Hall shoots they both say that Shawn used to like taking the summers off while laughing. Take it for what you will.

Shawn Michaels got suspended for a period in 1993, he wasnt wrestling throughout much of 1994, he was selling injuries and was out for a while after WrestleMania XI and was again off the road throughout the end of 1995 selling injuries. Then there was the whole 1997 fake injury bollocks. Nash laughed on his shoot that Michaels always used to find time off. Maybe it's an in-joke to how much time off Michaels had during his singles run in the 1990s.

• Paid Members

I remember on the "This Is Extreme" montage on some of my ECW videos, there is a segment where Steve Corino is arguing with Fred Durst.

What was the deal with that?

Also, keeping with ECW videos, I'm guessing it had something to do with copyright, but why on the later ones (I think it was from Anarchy Rulz 2000 onwards), the ECW entrance music was overdubbed with annoying stereotypical dance music.

I didn't actually know until I saw a version someone had taped from the TV, that the opening video was Guilty As Charged 2001 was to RATM's Renegades of Funk as opposed to a looped This Is Extreme.

Final question, on said taped copy, there is an advert for Farmclub.com? What was this supposed to be?

Ooh, lots of questions there, thank you!

I remember on the "This Is Extreme" montage on some of my ECW videos, there is a segment where Steve Corino is arguing with Fred Durst.

If you didn't know already, it was at a Limp Bizkit gig.

I can't add much else. Except i watched a dvd recently (i'm not sure what one) and Corino was cutting a promo backstage, and then storms off and onto the stage that they were playing. Is there a possibility that ECW and Limp Bizkit both had events/gigs and the same venue so something was set-up?

Also, keeping with ECW videos, I'm guessing it had something to do with copyright, but why on the later ones (I think it was from Anarchy Rulz 2000 onwards), the ECW entrance music was overdubbed with annoying stereotypical dance music.

:yinyang: I'm assuming it was to do with copyrights and so on but what always strikes me is how some DVD's are totally dubbed, some of them are half dubbed(ie: Raven's music is and Sandman's isn't, etc) and some of them aren't dubbed at all.

• Paid Members

If you didn't know already, it was at a Limp Bizkit gig.

I can't add much else. Except i watched a dvd recently (i'm not sure what one) and Corino was cutting a promo backstage, and then storms off and onto the stage that they were playing. Is there a possibility that ECW and Limp Bizkit both had events/gigs and the same venue so something was set-up?

I'm watching through ECW on TNN, they show it on that. He moans about them playing too loud next door, goes off and slags off some fans, gets in Dursts face and tells every one they are whats wrongs with america and how they are all drunk and stoned and evil and "extream". Then new jack, balls and axl turn up, Durst mubles something and Corin says how if Balls was there he's fuck him up, turns around and gets hit by the three, and the walloped with a chair. They plugged the hell out of it for the whole show.

I think its this show, with the whole saga split into bits through the show

I have a ECW title question. In the montage RVD gives a van daminator to some one, buh buh Dudley I believe. What shows that off?