The UKFF Comics n Graphic Novels thread

Famous Mortimer

• Paid Members
Quick question. I dropped into my local comic shop and they have the Owls storyline from the Batman comics in various collections. However, which order should they be read in? There was Court of Owls, Night of Owls, and another one.

The Scott Snyder stories are the main ones. The rest are essentially back up. So it's "Court of Owls" first, then whatever you want. "City of Owls" is the next one in the main story though.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I'm finally reading Preacher. I've had the 1st 7 volumes for around 7 years gathering dust. Polished volume 1 the other night. This may be a shade controversial I've got say I'm a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong I liked it but its not especially interesting, only mildly amusing and a tad juvenile. It strikes me that it maybe a bit of its time and not aged as well as I expected. Still i willl definitely crack on with it as it got quite good towards the end.Any of you guys read much Superman? I'm thinking of getting some in before Man of Steel. Does Supes have stand out must read books like Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween etc?

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Any of you guys read much Superman? I'm thinking of getting some in before Man of Steel. Does Supes have stand out must read books like Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween etc?

All Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. There are only two volumes. The second volume is more out there, but it's still mostly accessible. It's absolutely gorgeous.Also 'Birthright' is good as well.

• Paid Members

Any of you guys read much Superman? I'm thinking of getting some in before Man of Steel. Does Supes have stand out must read books like Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Long Halloween etc?

I just read the first collected graphic novel of the New 52 Superman, it's called "What price tomorrow" it's a good read, it won't go down as a classic but I think it's the characterisation of Superman we'll be seeing in Man of Steel so it would be worth picking up. Superman Braniac is kind of a Superman modern classic.Superman Red Son is an absolute must have, it's one of the best things I've ever read, it's in an alternate universe where Supes is Russian though so it won't exactly prepare you for Man of Steel Edited by Steve 'Big' Jobs

• Moderators

I've done another bulk bargain box buy from the comic shop. This time, I've bought all the books of collected side stories from the Secret Invasion that they had - like 5 or 6 books.

- There was one that collected some highlights of the main story. That one was a bit too all over the place to really enjoy. I included it because I thought it would give me a decent summary of the main story which I know but I thought I may have missed some plot points in it. I didn't need to read this.

- The New Warriors one was stupid but a lot of fun. Features time travel, a dystopian future and a swerve.

- The Black Panther one is great, and the artwork is beautiful.

That's as far as I've got so far.

I genuinely don't know why Hollywood won't pull the trigger on a Black Panther flick. So many different avenues they can go down with that character...If not Deadpool, please give me a Black Panther flick.

Marvel, innit. They've got their phases, so unless they start putting out some smaller budget side films we probably won't see it this side of 2020.

All Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. There are only two volumes. The second volume is more out there, but it's still mostly accessible. It's absolutely gorgeous.Also 'Birthright' is good as well.
Yeah I'll echo the love for All Star Superman, awesome stuff. I also really like Superman For All Seasons, but thats more about Clark.

• 1 month later...
I'm finally reading Preacher. I've had the 1st 7 volumes for around 7 years gathering dust. Polished volume 1 the other night. This may be a shade controversial I've got say I'm a little underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong I liked it but its not especially interesting, only mildly amusing and a tad juvenile. It strikes me that it maybe a bit of its time and not aged as well as I expected. Still i willl definitely crack on with it as it got quite good towards the end.

IMHO, Preacher gets progressively better all the way through. I May have done it the wrong way round as seen the Walking Dead series before reading the graphic novels. Will that be detrimental to the storyline as I am not sure hw closely related the parallels between the shows and novels are.

I May have done it the wrong way round as seen the Walking Dead series before reading the graphic novels. Will that be detrimental to the storyline as I am not sure hw closely related the parallels between the shows and novels are.

Not that similar at all in terms of specifics (some characters aren't in both, and the ones that are don't necessarily die in both etc), yet both somehow manage to be exactly the same in terms of being utter crap while still compelling me to stick with them.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members
I think they could launch a Marvel Knights side project studio and relaunch Daredevil and Punisher. Then get cracking with Luke Cage, Black Panther and perhaps Iron Fist movies. They could make them for a more mature audience I guess. Just a thought.

They've already got the Marvel Knights studio, Punisher Warzone and, I think, the 2nd Ghostrider film were produced through them. The problem is Punisher Warzone which is probably the only Marvel film aimed at a mature audience was a massive flop and their lowest grossing film and well Ghostrider is just terrible. I do think Punisher would work as a tv series more than a film.

• Paid Members

batman-66-1.jpg

Did anyone else pick up the first issue of Batman '66? It's a new Batman monthly that's done in the style of the 1966 Adam West TV series, it's fantastic! The art is really cool and stylized and the story was a great complete tale that was a bit kitsch & retro & very much in keeping with the spirit of the TV show, I will definitely keep getting this, I think even non comic fans could enjoy it. It's great to see such a cool unusual idea so well executed.