Official Darts Thread

Dai

Glen Moody coming out to Bronski Beat and throwing some shapes was a real highlight of the 2008 Worlds.

Glen Moody was the man that year, having the absolute time of his life up on the Lakeside stage playing to the crowd and dancing during his walk on entrance and then on the stage. Defeated 'The Excellent Dude' Nils de Rieuter in a painfully poor game where he plodded away with consecutive scores of 60 (20, 20, 20) whilst De Rieuter was all over the place with his awkwardly arched back action. To this day whenever I play a game with one of my mates and we score just 60 it is known as 'Moody'.Not much to shout about in this years tournament so far. First set aside O'Shea looked good and really should dick over Montgomery in the next round. Wolfie as always gave his opponent chances but they weren't good enough to take advantage, and I thought Robbie Green looked decent. Scotty Too Hotty on later this afternoon and he appears to be most peoples tip for the title. Rob Walker still sucks balls as interviewer though.

• Paid Members

I'll tell you one thing the BDO has over the PDC - Martin Fitzmaurice, the brilliant old bastard. Much better than Sky's rent-an-MC. I love the way 99% of matches are announced as "England...vs England..."I'm always heartened by the fact that all BDO players still use music from 1995 or before for their walk-on. A little bit of darts died the day someone told the PDC crowd the Now! series continued after 30.

I hate Martin Fitzmaurice. He's a dinosaur.

I hate Martin Fitzmaurice. He's a dinosaur.

He's also not shy about making it obvious which players he does and doesn't like in his intros and outros. Scott Waites is the perfect example of someone he clearly doesn't like, right down to the obligatory handshake and lack of eye contact he gives them. Compare that to the old pals act and joviality when he intros his good buddy Wolfie.

• Moderators

His brand of supposed humour between games when he acts as somewhat of a warmup man is pretty shocking as well. Has the Beeb ever accidentally shown him telling one of his "jokes" on the red button or anything?

Edited by PowerButchi

His brand of supposed humour between games when he acts as somewhat of a warmup man is pretty shocking as well. Has the Beeb ever accidentally shown him telling one of his "jokes" on the red button or anything?

He was absolutely appalling as MC when we went to The Masters. The crowds were dead between the games and were crying out for some entertainment to keep everyone 'up', whether it was some music over the PA or something from Fitz. As it was at the end of the games he waddled on stage, announced the winner and loser, said the averages and then just sat on a chair at the side of the stage. There was occasional gesticulations and mouthing of stuff to some of the other officials, then he would pipe up with 'two minutes', and the next words out of his mouth were that ridiculously overused catchphrase. Really poor from him, to the point we were crying out for some of his blue jokes.

The lack of quality isnt even the thing that annoys me the most about the coverage. Its the absolutley awful directing. The PDC are pretty bad for constantly cutting to shots of annoying shits in the crowd between throws, but at least they keep it simple during the throws. Whereas, the BDO/BBC guy (or guys) has an almost tourette like need to cut to different shots, even inbetween a players three darts. Case in point; during the John Boy Walton match, they cut to the players wives inbetween EVERY throw at one point.Between this, and the really shit side-on angle they do (show the player head-on, then switch to different angle mid-fuckin-flight of every throw), its even to make you feel dizzy.

• Paid Members

Thing that annoys me most is the noise of the darts hitting the board. It's horrific. It sounds like someone ripping a tramp in half. I also hate the dullness of the setting but I like that the focus is on the players not the crowd. They can't really win there, if they light the crowd more, it'll turn into the freak show the PDC is.Dekker/Kist the best match so far. I think Dekker went out with the second best average of the tournament so far, and by some distance too.

• Moderators

What do we all make of Martin Adams being the new head honcho of the BDO? If I was a card carrying member there I'd be running for my life to the Q-School. You can't make changes with the same old faces, and changes need to be made post haste. They really should have put some real new blood from the board, not tainted by the past years of BDO failure.