Official Darts Thread

Dai

The European Championship on Bravo is to be presented by Dave Gorman and...

JAMES RICHARDSON!

This is going to be fucking spectacular.

That's fucking great news.

Butch, remember my mate Scott Rand? Taylor has been talking to him on the circuit offering him advice. Ain't spoke to Scott since he played in Vegas but I'll see him at my wedding in 3 weeks and see what was said.

• 3 months later...

Grand Slam of Darts kicks off this weekend, and the draw for the group stages is as follows:

Group 1

Simon Whitlock

Colin Osbourne

Robert Thornton

Dave Chisnall

Group 2

Gary Anderson

Wayne Jones

Mark Webster

Mark Hylton

Group 3

Mervyn King

Terry Jenkins

John Henderson

Stacey Bromberg

Group 4

James Wade

Van Der Voort

Tony O'Shea

Justin Pipe

Group 5

Adrian Lewis

Co Stompe

Scott Waites

Martin Phillips

Group 6

Raymond Van Barneveld

Colin Lloyd

Darryl Fitton

Tricia Wright

Group 7

Paul Nicholson

Ronnie Baxter

Steve Beaton

Arron Monk

Group 8

Phil Taylor

Wes Newton

Ted Hankey

Michael Van Gerwen

Undoubted highlight is the Taylor vs Hankey match from Group 8. I'll be having a sly bet on Dave Chisnall to take this, as I see him qualifying from his group along with Whitlock (Thornton is very hit and miss these days, and the Imposter Wizard can't perform on TV). Although really can't see past the usual suspects of Taylor, Wade, King etc. For those who haven't heard of him, Arron Monk is the son of Colin, and is someone big things is expected from in years to come.

• Moderators

My heart says Steve the Bronzed Adonis, but my head says Phil Taylor. Taylor vs Hankey will be great value for Hankey's inevitable nervous breakdown on the oche and a repeat of "IF THIS IS DARTS, YOU CAN KEEP IT!" and punching the board while sweating profusely.

Does Aaron Monk do that weird thing with his mouth that his dad did?

Been some cracking games on this afternoon and the BDO boys are holding there own nicely. Waites/Stompe was a great opener, Fitton was unlucky not to win after that marvelous 180, 130 finish. That Arron Monk looked good and like Fitton he was unlucky not to nick it. Hankey and Phillips winning were shocks, Phillips looked as good as he did in the BDO World if not better, I love his no nonsense way of playing.

Hankey and Phillips winning were shocks, Phillips looked as good as he did in the BDO World if not better, I love his no nonsense way of playing.

I didn't think Ted winning was much of a shock. The guy clearly learned from last year, got his head screwed on right and didn't react or play up to any of the nonsense from the crowd. I thought Phillips would do OK, but I certainly didn't expect him to beat Lewis, and do it so comprehensively and play so well. How well the BDO boys have been performing is a real nice surprise.

I think they really need to axe the women from the tournament though. They clearly only had them as a way to get Anastasia in, and to get her some exposure. They got their victory when she beat Vincent last year, and now she hasn't qualified I really don't see what having Stacy Bromberg and Tricia Wright in actually adds to the event.

I know Ted had been struggling in the BDO, but just felt that he would be motivated and in the right frame of mind for this tournament. We had money on him (on an accumulator that didn't come off) and believed he has too much experience in the big games for Newton, plus he has probably one of the best, most natural actions in the game (along with Beaton).

Didn't see Taylor's match as I was on the train back home at that point, but it was the stand out tie of the round from the moment the draw was made. Just hoping Ted keeps everything together tonight, as you know full well Taylor will be doing all he can to get the crowd on The Count's back.