So what's unacceptable?

Chris B

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you know where the term 'faggot' comes from, you'll find it to be a completely unacceptable word to use. Full stop.

Educate us
Seconded. I want to be edumacated.
Basically, it means 'kindling'. The Nazis used homosexuals to get the fire pumped up enough to start chucking on Jews.
I never knew that :( Beats Kid Kash going on about A2M in the offensive stakes

When watching wrestling from all over the years you realise wrestling uses sterotypes as a way of engaging the crowd. Hillbillys, british snobs etcThis to me is just another one of them. (his being a man/men wearing dresses). Ableit a quite offending one.For me the talent should be reprimanded, not dropped. With the angle more or less dropped as well.Remember this is a business where controversey creates cash and publicity, and the promotion should have thought about waht "reactions" this angle could cause to it's talent and to it's fans.

• Paid Members

Remember this is a business where controversey creates cash

WrestleMania 7 says hi. The collapse of the WWF business in the spring of 1992 says hi. Nash laying down for Hogan in 1999 says hi. The Gangstas in Smoky Mountain say hi. Viewers Choice would say hi, but they are busy watching the tape of Mass Transit.

Remember this is a business where controversey creates cash

So if Dixon was to book Smothers and Hamrick for a tour, and gave them the briefing to make comments similar to those made at 1PW every night, would that be good for business? We're talking about a relatively small promotion in the North of England (although I still maintain beyond York is The South) who draw a reasonable percentage of children and families to their shows. That kind of controversy will not draw cash.

We aren't talking about a promo on WWE RAW here, we're talking about a promo at an indy show - what's there to draw, the fans are already there! Talk of faggots and cunts is not going to make parents buy tickets for the next show is it?

When you know where the term 'faggot' comes from, you'll find it to be a completely unacceptable word to use. Full stop.

Educate us
Basically, it means 'kindling'. The Nazis used homosexuals to get the fire pumped up enough to start chucking on Jews.
I really, really doubt that's where the use of the word came from. Faggot as a derogatory word for homosexual predates the Second World War by some margin. It most probably derives from the Yiddish word for homosexual "faygele", or possibly from the use of the word "fag" in British public schools to denote junior boys who have to run errands for senior boys.

Educate us
I really, really doubt that's where the use of the word came from. Faggot as a derogatory word for homosexual predates the Second World War by some margin. It most probably derives from the Yiddish word for homosexual "faygele", or possibly from the use of the word "fag" in British public schools to denote junior boys who have to run errands for senior boys.
I wouldn't think the fine Southern gentlemen in question even know the true meaning of the word as per where it derives from, they just know how offensive it is. Edited by Ant

Steve Austin Vs McMahon says hiAndy Kaufman says hiMike Tyson says hiUndertaker says hiGoldust says hiEddie Gilvert USSR flag says hiNation of Domination say hiControversial moments create money, sterotypes included. And throught out wrestling it has been used. I don't condone it, I actually don't like it, but it is used as it works.

I went to the show and I found the use of the word 'Faggot' as offensive. I am gay and I found that using the word, particularly in close proximity to children, in a way condones the use of such language. This in turn would be taken away and children use the word in a school setting. As a bullying victim ( I aint your queeny gay guy but nonetheless) I feel that putting the message out there that its acceptable to use such language is irresponsible. I personally believe that if it is not acceptable to use 'The N Word' in a social situation then why should it be acceptable to use such a term for homosexuals. I will say that the '1PW conspiracy theory' which someone said (ie: people making excuses to bash 1PW) is a load of shit. 1PW runs the show. Wrestlers know their role and do their job as they are told. For management of 1PW not to give the wrestlers in question a good verbal kickin for using such language shows just how much 1PW condone such behaviour. The idea that to be controversial to be successful is one thing but the Gauntley's are NOT Paul Heyman and 1PW is NOT WWE, WCW or ECW. They are a tiny little indy promotion who rely on families and the like to draw money. So to put something that offensive (as was the C word but to less affect in my mind) that would encourage families to turn away from the product. Why is it acceptable for homophobic language and behaviours be displayed at a wrestling show, yet if their was a racist chant erupting would this be accepted? For the people who live it, it is just as offensive but because you cant see homosexuality (well not as easily) it's deemed ok?

I wouldn't think the fine Southern gentlemen in question even know the true meaning of the word as per where it derives from, they just know how offensive it is.
You're undoubtedly right, I was just pulling aaron up on his slightly hysterical connection to the Holocaust there.

Steve Austin Vs McMahon says hiAndy Kaufman says hiMike Tyson says hiUndertaker says hiGoldust says hiEddie Gilvert USSR flag says hiNation of Domination say hiControversial moments create money, sterotypes included. And throught out wrestling it has been used. I don't condone it, I actually don't like it, but it is used as it works.

One thing... All of these were used in BIG leagues and were done at least semi tastefully (barring a few). Even Goldust wasnt that offensive because it was an insinuation it wasnt flat out calling someone a Faggot or a racial obscenity.Mike