So what's unacceptable?

Chris B

• Paid Members

I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is.Someone's probably made that joke but I can't be arsed to wade through any more of this thread to find it.OT: this is one of those instances, as so often happens at wrestling shows, where someone steps over a line and it makes you cringe. 1PW apologised, and it seems to be made clear that they do this kind of thing fairly often, given the parental warnings.What more can you do? Well, besides hooking Jim Davidson up with SoCo.

They've apologised? Other than the guy that runs the 1PW fancast, Dingbat, who seems to have been watching a different match to any other reports, I'm unaware of a direct apology.And I'm not going to even touch what impact said (or let him suggest I was 'senoring' his thoughts), as I don't really need to. Let's face it, who has he convinced with his badly written, badly argued take? And besides, my g-string is chafing.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to argue about use of words lets look at the word homophobic as I take serious offence to that. It implies fear of gay people which is wrong from the start. Personally I am disgusted by the fact that the un-natural disease spreading gay mentality is so affluent with the current generation Disgusted......... Not Fearful

For your information, sir, 'homophobia' means to have an unreasoned fear of, or dislike of, homosexuals or homosexuality. I hope this helps. You can now rest assured that being homophobic simply means you delight in having homosexuals fill you with distaste.

They've apologised? Other than the guy that runs the 1PW fancast, Dingbat, who seems to have been watching a different match to any other reports, I'm unaware of a direct apology.And I'm not going to even touch what impact said (or let him suggest I was 'senoring' his thoughts), as I don't really need to. Let's face it, who has he convinced with his badly written, badly argued take? And besides, my g-string is chafing.

Sorry, but I don't recall reading your recap of the show and how offended you were when you saw Smothers say what he said?Ah, of course; you weren't there, as with quite a number of other people who have commented upon this issue. There's no problem with that, of course, but these 'other reports' you seem to be talking about all seem to be focused around one report.EDIT: By no means construe this as a claim that it didn't happen, but I take offence to you seemingly badmouthing my recollection of events; I was actually at the show to be offended. Edited by Dingbat

A heel calling a face a faggot is outdated offensive cheap heat.A face calling a heel a faggot is plain retarded.

It's always been that way round though. Homophobia is the socially acceptable form of bigotry, especially in wrestling. I don't ever remember a heel using gay insults for heat. But there's been hundreds of effeminate heels to act as bait for homophobic chants. Normally the faces aren't quite so blatant at encouraging it, and it's no excuse for continuing with this shitty tradition. But a heel calling a face a faggot to get heat would actually be a progressive move for the wrestling business.

Guest May 19th

Impact and May 19th should form a tag team called...Fear of Being Bummed.....in the dark...and enjoying it. :rolleyes:

I think you should grow up, get a girlfriend (or boyfirend, i'm not getting into this again.........) , take off that shit new HHH t-shirt that your most probably wearing, and move out of your parents house.Thats what i think Edited by May 19th

• Awards Moderator

A heel calling a face a faggot is outdated offensive cheap heat.A face calling a heel a faggot is plain retarded.

It's always been that way round though. Homophobia is the socially acceptable form of bigotry, especially in wrestling. I don't ever remember a heel using gay insults for heat. But there's been hundreds of effeminate heels to act as bait for homophobic chants. Normally the faces aren't quite so blatant at encouraging it, and it's no excuse for continuing with this shitty tradition. But a heel calling a face a faggot to get heat would actually be a progressive move for the wrestling business.
I see what you're getting at here, but that could go one of two ways - as you say, it could be progressive, a "boo! How dare you use a homophobic slur, you bigot" kind of heat, or alternatively (and probably more likely) would be the opposite, a "boo! How dare you accuse a nice upstanding straight man of being a filthy gay" kind of heat.

Impact and May 19th should form a tag team called...Fear of Being Bummed.....in the dark...and enjoying it. :rolleyes:

I think you should grow up, get a girlfriend (or boyfirend, i'm not getting into this again.........) , take off that shit new HHH t-shirt that your most probably wearing, and move out of your parents house.Thats what i think
I am married?!I am not wearing a HHH T-shirt,anyway you probably only want me to take off my top to have a nice hard look at my nipples :rolleyes: Edited by FireBrand

• Paid Members

Sorry, but I don't recall reading your recap of the show and how offended you were when you saw Smothers say what he said?Ah, of course; you weren't there, as with quite a number of other people who have commented upon this issue. There's no problem with that, of course, but these 'other reports' you seem to be talking about all seem to be focused around one report.EDIT: By no means construe this as a claim that it didn't happen, but I take offence to you seemingly badmouthing my recollection of events; I was actually at the show to be offended.
That what didn't happen?And really, you taking offense to me badmouthing your recollection of events when you've done your level best to portray me as a 1PW HATER~! is amusing. There have been various confirmations of the fact that the term 'ass up, face down, pillow biting fags' was used, which you said you were sure you would have remembered. This was while you kept trying to divert attention from what happened - seriously, look back at your response when I pointed out that a 'yes' would have done. Look at the way you tried to claim that chopping off the end of the match would render the segment inoffensive. Look at the way you tried to portray me as a 1PW hater. Look at, now, the way you're diverting attention by raising the point that I wasn't in attendance, and trying to make out that other people that have said the same thing are all taking it from the same report.On top of this, you are the ONLY person I've seen on either this, or the 1PW board, that has said that Stevie Aaron apologised. If you're right in this, apologies, but you can see why I don't really trust your memory of the incident.Perhaps someone from 1PW can clarify matters? Edited by Darque Edge

Christ.How many times can this thread be ressurected by moral outrage? It happened. What can you do? There's not enough, ahem, 'backlash' for it to be a major issue anymore - it just seems to have been forgotten (like most controversial things are). I'm not saying that's right but your practically beating a dead horse. This thread has gone from the actual issue to putting two homophobes in their place.I'll put it right - I don't remember Stevie Aaron apologizing for the SoCo comments. He only really apologized for the language used by Wallace. But what difference does it make? 1PW aren't to blame in this case and it's down to the performers having a free say in their promo's (which happens alot because the performers are trusted to get their own angle/character over). I went to the show and generally nobody had a problem with the comments save a few people who felt uncomfortable. Nobody walked out over it or voiced their general anger (to my recollection) - the match went on and Simmonz/Tighe wore dresses. And the show went on with no more controversy. Only on the forums is the moral outrage and talk of boycott by... well, you.Why don't you ask Smothers/Hamrick for an apology as well as 1PW? You keep bitching about Dingbat painting you as a '1PW hater' but you don't ask the performers for an apology and you've spent this entire thread saying it's 1PW's fault. You've gone from being morally offended to downright begging for an apology.

Edited by NickMills

• Paid Members

You raise a fair point, Nick, in that I'm keeping this going - however, I'll point out that I didn't drag the thread back up (and I didn't respond to Dingbat either) until the thread had already been bumped by Bix and Bootcleaner.Some of the reports (on here and on 1PW - forgive me for not going back and finding quotes) have suggested that some families walked out. You've also essentially said 'nobody was offended, other than those who were uncomfortable'.And yes, I probably do come across like I'm begging for an apology. Do you know why? It's because I'm a fan of wrestling, I'm a fan of British wrestling, and I'm a fan of Tighe and Simmons. I don't care about SoCo, because they're out of touch has-beens. I do care about how British Wrestling is perceived.I really want 1PW to not be part of this. I really want Tighe and Simmons to not be part of this. I want this to be two old farts who put everyone in an uncomfortable position, and have 1PW distance themselves from it. Instead, by not apologising, they're condoning it.I want this to not be them. I don't want to think that 1PW see this as an acceptable thing to happen at their show. But they're not giving ANY indication otherwise. I want them to do some damage control, because they see what happened as being damaging. I don't want them to do it so that I can crow about being right.