So what's unacceptable?

Chris B

But Hamrick was joining in the 'faggot' jokes? And Tighe and Simmons were playing up to them?

Tighe and Simmonz prompted the 'faggot' jokes with their dancing in the 'dance-off', apparently inspiring Tracey to make a comment. The dresswearing was what caused the 'faggots' chant afterwards.

Whereas I think it couldn't be more obvious that this incident paints 1PW in a bad light all by itself.

Not really. I'd say it reflects badly on Tracey Smothers and Chris Hamrick more than anything; that is, for anyone who isn't continuously trying to trace it back to the promotion.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this may be all getting a bit blown out of proportion. i would never blame a company for what someone may put into a promo, the promoter cant stop something from being said on a live mic!In SWA in scotland, the faction known as the A--List are usually called the Gay-List on interviews and promos. I've never heard of anyone being offended by that

I agree at the end of the day you cant please everyone theres always gonna be someone whos not happy with something, if people were chanting then they were entertained. as to the faggot reference you seen stuff like that splashed all over TV these days I seriously cant see someone not watching hollyoaks, or corrie because they made a negative remark to Gays, like what was mentioned before I dont think there would have been half a problem if they were chanting 'get your tits out' or 'you fucked up' both are still offensive but for some reason people think its okay to chant them.People need t remember its entertainment at the end of the day and James Tighe in a skirt whats funnier

I honestly don't see it to be much of a problem. It happens in alot of sports. At football matches you've got fans chanting sexist stuff to the female stewards, racist stuff to players (hardly ever in this country thankfully) & insults of a homosexual nature. I don't really see what's so wrong with chanting "faggot" towards a wrestler. If fans can get away with "you suck dick" & "she's a crackwhore" , I'm sure "faggot" can be let by. Whether the wrestlers encouraged it or not, it's nothing to throw a fit over. I bet you wouldn't complain if fans were mocking a gay wrestler calling him straight.

This is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. You seem to understand that racism at football matches is a bad thing, but somehow your brain has managed to use this to justify the encouragement of homophobia at wrestling matches. It's the kind of logic only employed by sociopaths.

But Hamrick was joining in the 'faggot' jokes? And Tighe and Simmons were playing up to them?

Tighe and Simmonz prompted the 'faggot' jokes with their dancing in the 'dance-off', apparently inspiring Tracey to make a comment. The dresswearing was what caused the 'faggots' chant afterwards.

Whereas I think it couldn't be more obvious that this incident paints 1PW in a bad light all by itself.

Not really. I'd say it reflects badly on Tracey Smothers and Chris Hamrick more than anything; that is, for anyone who isn't continuously trying to trace it back to the promotion.
I'd say it reflects on both the wrestlers and the company. It obviously reflects on Smothers and Hamrick, as the comments came from them. I know they have a lot of fans at 1PW events, but I bet they've lost a few after their comments.It also has to reflect on 1PW to a degree, although if those in charge didn't know the comments were going to be made, there's not a huge amount they could have done bar kill the live mic. That said, if a family has been put off attending future shows, that's because they'll associate those comments with the promotion itself.

Guest May 19th

What is the difference between chanting "Faggot" and "You fat bastard"........I bet no-one would be kicking off about the latter although i'm sure that could be equally offensive to a person with a weight problem.Its all good fun in my opinion

I honestly don't see it to be much of a problem. It happens in alot of sports. At football matches you've got fans chanting sexist stuff to the female stewards, racist stuff to players (hardly ever in this country thankfully) & insults of a homosexual nature. I don't really see what's so wrong with chanting "faggot" towards a wrestler. If fans can get away with "you suck dick" & "she's a crackwhore" , I'm sure "faggot" can be let by. Whether the wrestlers encouraged it or not, it's nothing to throw a fit over. I bet you wouldn't complain if fans were mocking a gay wrestler calling him straight.

This is the most stupid thing I've ever seen. You seem to understand that racism at football matches is a bad thing, but somehow your brain has managed to use this to justify the encouragement of homophobia at wrestling matches. It's the kind of logic only employed by sociopaths.
What Bobbins said. Aside from the trolls posting in this thread, who I don't care about, the degree of acceptance of this in this is absolutely appalling. If you wouldn't shout it, on your own, to a group of 10 people of that sort, don't shout it at all. It just really saddens me that wrestling promoters think this is an acceptable way to get heat on heels in 2007. It saddens me that they ever did, but especially now. How do you think any gay people at that show felt? Or any gay wrestlers on the card? In fact, why not get a group of BNP assholes as a face faction for their next show?

• Paid Members

What Bobbins said. Aside from the trolls posting in this thread, who I don't care about, the degree of acceptance of this in this is absolutely appalling. If you wouldn't shout it, on your own, to a group of 10 people of that sort, don't shout it at all. It just really saddens me that wrestling promoters think this is an acceptable way to get heat on heels in 2007. It saddens me that they ever did, but especially now. How do you think any gay people at that show felt? Or any gay wrestlers on the card? In fact, why not get a group of BNP assholes as a face faction for their next show?
I agree with everything you've said. Homophobia is wrong. I'm not gay, but the thought of people shouting homophobic terms to other people makes me sad.

Guest May 19th

I agree with everything you've said. Homophobia is wrong. I'm not gay, but the thought of people shouting homophobic terms to other people makes me sad.
Walking on the grass is wrong, but who caresseriously does anyone really care?It wasn't done in a way to intimidate people. It was just harmless fun.None of us on here or who were at the show are homophobes. Least of all 1PW. We all watch grown men wrestle in spandex pants for christ sake!!

It wasn't done in a way to intimidate people. It was just harmless fun.

If little Johnny went to that show, chanted "faggot" as if it's an OK thing to yell at someone, then does the same thing at school to a fellow pupil, little Johnny's going to get a bollocking from teacher.

So in a climate where the number of attacks on gays are increasing,it's a good idea to encourage people to use homosexuality as areason for abuse.This is nothing to do with being PC. And anyone who thinks it'sacceptable should just fuck off and die.

Guest May 19th

It wasn't done in a way to intimidate people. It was just harmless fun.

If little Johnny went to that show, chanted "faggot" as if it's an OK thing to yell at someone, then does the same thing at school to a fellow pupil, little Johnny's going to get a bollocking from teacher.
Your not allowed to do anything at school apart from work.Wrestling is an escape from reality and everyday life. Its just a bit of fun.

As much as I cant condone homophobia, I think the WWE/TNA have put far more offensive things on TV than some fans shouting "faggot".Also i'm sure it wasnt the whole crowd, it was probably just the minority.

This is nothing to do with being PC. And anyone who thinks it'sacceptable should just fuck off and die.

Is this much better than homophopic chants??