This is the worst match, I've ever been in...

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

So we take someone who has had a cracking career and point out the worst match they've even been in. The absolute height of shitarsery from someone who should be or would be far, far better than this.

First up, Randy Savage.

Not a guy known for stinkers in part because his meticulous planning of big matches, his pretty awesome selling and his collection of regular spots that brought excitement and realism.

There's a match I think a few people will go for but I have never seen it so my choice is:

WWF SummerSlam 1992 - Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior

I think people quite like this. I fucking hate it. I'll readily admit that my expectations play a big part in that. This was the sequel to the best wrestling match there has ever been. So right away, I'm expecting another classic. Then there's the possibility that one of the guys is in league with Ric Flair. And then there's the possibility of the Warrior getting his title back.

Jesus watched this match and wept. Eyes red raw. Beard sodden. It was rubbish. First major disappointment was Warrior looking like Madge from Benidorm wandering around Tanfastic in the buff. Second major disappointment is Flair and Perfect completely over-shadowing the match. The director must have had ADHD. "Get Flair, get Perfect, get Flair, get Perfect".

The action is wet. Savage spends half the match having a kip in a corner. The story is shit before the match becomes irrelevant and worse after. And once Flair and perfect come down, they try to tease tension. But all the achieve is making Savage and Warrior look like the two stupidest people alive.

And then there's no finish. No promised turn, no title change, no heroic equalising win for Savage. Nothing. God I hated this when I was a kid and I hate it even more now.

I watched Summerslam 92 before the WM7 one, so I never had a chance to be soured on it for that reason.

Wasn't there an awful cage match with Hogan in WCW circa 95? I remember people branding it "Age in the Cage". That's probably a good candidate.

P.S, It's NOT the Uncensored Doomsday Cage I'm thinking of, as I enjoyed that on a purely ridiculous spectacle level. It wasn't even the worst match on the card.

EDIT: Uncensored '98! That was it!

I watched Summerslam 92 before the WM7 one, so I never had a chance to be soured on it for that reason.

Wasn't there an awful cage match with Hogan in WCW circa 95? I remember people branding it "Age in the Cage". That's probably a good candidate.

P.S, It's NOT the Uncensored Doomsday Cage I'm thinking of, as I enjoyed that on a purely ridiculous spectacle level. It wasn't even the worst match on the card.

EDIT: Uncensored '98! That was it!

Is that the one with with Flair and the barbed wire surrounding the top of the cage?

how was Savage's work in WCW, i didnt see any of that stuff.

Up until his knee finally imploded in 1998 he was working to an insanely high level considering his age. When he came back from the injury in 1999 he was a lot less mobile and was only really around for 6 months before calling it a day. There's definitely a lot of great stuff to check out, the obvious choice being his feud with DDP in 97.

In fact he was so good that the only matches I can think of that would really fall into this thread are those from the 1999 run. Pretty much the entire feud he had with Nash that summer was horrific in every way. Matches, promos, angles (buckets full of shit, limos full of sewage, bags full of women.....), not a single positive from the whole ordeal. The main event to BATB 99 was particularly bad. Nash (champ) & Sting vs Savage & Sid with the stipulation that anyone (including Sting) could become champion by pinning Nash, but in true WCW style they never bothered to explain exactly how that would work.

• Paid Members
how was Savage's work in WCW, i didnt see any of that stuff.

Up until his knee finally imploded in 1998 he was working to an insanely high level considering his age. When he came back from the injury in 1999 he was a lot less mobile and was only really around for 6 months before calling it a day. There's definitely a lot of great stuff to check out, the obvious choice being his feud with DDP in 97.

In fact he was so good that the only matches I can think of that would really fall into this thread are those from the 1999 run. Pretty much the entire feud he had with Nash that summer was horrific in every way. Matches, promos, angles (buckets full of shit, limos full of sewage, bags full of women.....), not a single positive from the whole ordeal. The main event to BATB 99 was particularly bad. Nash (champ) & Sting vs Savage & Sid with the stipulation that anyone (including Sting) could become champion by pinning Nash, but in true WCW style they never bothered to explain exactly how that would work.

Took the words out of my ... erm ... fingers?

Savage isn't credited half as much for what he did for WCW. When Hogan was off filming the Secret Agent Club and Santa Claus With Muscles, Savage and Flair turned WCW's house show business around. The biggest house show series they'd ever done up until that point was Savage and Flair built around the Elizabeth turn. Their Slim Jim sponsorship was a massive deal as well for them. A huge sponsorship which they gained and (just as importantly) the WWF lost. It sort of showed Vince up for thinking Savage on finished, because while Bret Hart and whoever else were doing so-so business, Randy was sitting at the announcers desk and was a way bigger star. You could have ever done Shawn vs Savage and Bret vs Savage and he could have put them over. Like in the WWF, Savage was one of the few who could draw Hogan level numbers without Hogan on the cards.

The nature of how intense he was fitted so well into his angles the feuds with Flair and the nWo and later on DDP were so great. He was just a wild man in them. When he came back in 1999 his knees were shot, he'd gained so much muscle and he was grounded to the floor. I'm stunned he could still do the elbow (even though it didn't look as pretty as it used to). He was on Hogan's level as a worker. Worse probably, because Savage had high standards to reach, where Hogan was always accepted for his routine. There was something so shit about him in 1999. There was something very late 90s about the makeover. The ponytail and the new music and the trio of women made him as cool as Peter Springfellow. Like they were trying to make you go "Savage looks 15 years younger with the new makeover", but he really didn't. He looked like an old rocker trying to drag himself into modern day trends. We wanted the Randy Savage we knew and loved, not this bloke.

Still gutted they didn't do the Mega Powers vs the Blade Runners in 1998.

The TNA "match" wins this.

Hahaha... Oh hands-down... A rotten couple of telegraphed punches, then a horrible standing punch finish (WTF?). He looked weird as fuxk too with the died black beard and remnants of hair... Dross...

If 99 is the Savage low point, then the Tokyo Dome match he had with Rick Steiner from this period is the lowest point of that run (match wise) that I remember. An unbelievably dull match. Plenty of stalling, and not much else really. Clocks in at 13 odd minutes, but feels about 60. The two redeeming moments of the match are a sweet elbow from Macho, and the hilarious botch from Rick at the end.

Disclaimer: Have never seen/cant remember the Nash matches from this period. Have just read that he faced Rodman in singles around this time as well, which went an incredible 12 minutes. A match that never gets talked about, so cant be that much of a disaster.

Disclaimer: Have never seen/cant remember the Nash matches from this period. Have just read that he faced Rodman in singles around this time as well, which went an incredible 12 minutes. A match that never gets talked about, so cant be that much of a disaster.

I almost mentioned this in my earlier post. The Rodman match was far from great, but considering Savage could barely move and he was facing Dennis Rodman it was a minor miracle that it wasn't a complete disaster. It was an overbooked brawl (from memory 3 ref bumps and Rodman getting tipped over in a Portaloo to lead into the finish) but perfectly acceptable for what it was. The build up was absolutely mental too, with Rodman kidnapping Gorgeous George and Savage later finding her crying with her clothes ripped and Rodman shouting "I had sex with your girl" in the background. Rodman was meant to be the babyface too.

Archived