This is the worst match, I've ever been in...

tiger_rick

The 99 Savage reinvention is one of those ones I think makes total sense on paper, say if they'd brainstormed a way to reinvent him for the Attitude era or something. Flamboyant nutcase becomes overdressed nightclub douchebag who easily snaps, I think that slots right into a Russo-era Raw and gets over. However, it didn't fit as well in horrible 1999 WCW, and more importantly, Savage didn't have the ability to get it over in the ring. The big muscles and stalling were fine in 1989 because when he got on offence he was a fucking killer and quick as shit. Those Hogan matches or that assault he laid in on Warrior after the Dibiase match in 1990 were proof of that. Had Savage drummed that gimmick up in October 1997 in the WWF, when he was still capable of great matches, I bet he would have opposed Austin's 1998 everyman character for the title that summer, no probs.

Sorry to derail there, worst Savage match for me would be the four way/tag World Title bullshit already covered. He's so poor, the angles dreadful, the company is going down the fucking drain and everything's just so grey and black and defeated. I hate the whole thing. Mind, having just sat through that Rick Steiner match I found on YouTube that somebody in here mentioned, I've found a close second.

I can't think of a single match of Randy Savage from the WWF or WCW up to 1999 that I really dislike. Fair play to him, good idea for a thread Rick!

• Paid Members

FYI guys, "Age In The Cage" was what the Hogan/Piper cage match at Halloween Havoc '97 was dubbed at the time, coming so soon after Hell In A Cell as it did. Not Hogan/Savage, not Hogan/Flair.

The TNA "match" wins this.

QFT.

Mind, having just sat through that Rick Steiner match I found on YouTube that somebody in here mentioned, I've found a close second.

I had no idea this match even happened. Savage is HUGE in it. Scarily big. Clearly preparing himself for a WCW comeback that never materialised.

I've just thought of another match I'd add to this thread - the match against Hogan the night after BATB 99. I haven't seen it since it first aired but I remember it feeling like two old guys lying around whipping each other for 10 minutes. It was such a sorry sight.

the company is going down the fucking drain and everything's just so grey and black and defeated

Perfectly put. The whole period of WCW from around Slamboree to Fall Brawl in 99 are/were so fucking depressing to watch. There's just no energy to anything on any of the shows. Even the good matches are brought down by the feeling of doom surrounding the rest of the company.

He looked bulky vs Steiner and Deca'd to the max in Spiderman!

I dont dislike any Savage match. Its only due to his high standards that his 99/00 matches are shat on. For a 50 yr old there not bad.

For me as much as Flair & Hart get cred Savage defines the term 'superworker' for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived