The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

I weren't planning on posting a song in here for a while, but I will today based off of the response my last lot got.

The opener of Parliament's Mothership Connection album. Today was the first time I heard the album but it's been in my head all day and I've gone back to listen to it again. These guys will give it to you in your earhole.

Parliament - P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up):

I came across a song I hadn't heard since my childhood the other day and it had been stuck in my head until songs from Mothership Connection took over. This is it.

Camp Lo - Luchini (AKA This Is It):

• Awards Moderator

The General Music thread reminded me that I'm wasting my time listening to people who aren't Stevie Wonder.

This is my favourite Stevie performance, on Sesame Street of all places.

The false ending, Stevie bellowing "Sesame Street!", the little kid with the afro wigging the fuck out... It's amazing.

• Paid Members

Not just my favourite Stevie performance there, I truly believe that's amongst the very greatest musical performances captured on film.

Love it.

Ray Parker Jr on guitar there, too.

From the same album, I Am The Walrus is a great fade out. It's mad how it's nearly 50 years since both songs were released and, to me, they're still right up there with the most engaging, innovative music. The stuff they were doing with the limitations they had is mad. John Lennon's vocals being played back through a revolving Leslie speaker that was then recorded on Tomorrow Never Knows, the shift in pitch in Strawberry Fields, the final chord in A Day In The Life where there's multiple pianos playing it and more layered on top, and tons more.

Edited by Sphinx