The Song Of The Day Thread

Mr. Seven

• Paid Members

I dont know how to make links read anything other than the URL on the new boar,but i've yet to find a Billy Joel song that's anything less than spectacular, and this bad boy is no different.

Pressure..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyv905Q2omU

Can't tell you how much it sticks in my throat that Richie Freebird has seen him live and I havent.  Green as fuck i tell ya.

• Paid Members

I dont know how to make links read anything other than the URL on the new boar,but i've yet to find a Billy Joel song that's anything less than spectacular, and this bad boy is no different.

Pressure..

Can't tell you how much it sticks in my throat that Richie Freebird has seen him live and I havent.  Green as fuck i tell ya.

I really like that song, it's my favourite Billy Joel song, it should be considered one of his classics but I don't think it is.

Pressure..

I really like that song, it's my favourite Billy Joel song, it should be considered one of his classics but I don't think it is.

You're a good man, Matrix. I'd somehow never heard 'Vienna' by him until very recently and it's gone straight up there with some of my favourite songs ever. I really need to discover more Billy Joel songs (I'd struggle to name ten of his tracks).

• Paid Members

Billy Joel is terrific, my wife grew up listening to him as her folks were big fans of his in the 80s. Went with them too see him at Wembley Arena several years ago. All For Layla is my favourite of his non-obvious tunes. Pianoman is a truly great song.

• Paid Members

I'm delighted to see there's some Joel fans on the board.  That's restored my faith in humanity somewhat.

The thing with Billy Joel is, i always knew i was a fan, i just didnt realise it.  I borrowed a greatest hits album from a colleague 10 years ago because i wanted a copy of "River of Dreams", and upon listening to it realised at least a dozen other tracks on there i loved were actually Billy Joel songs, speaks volumes about how versatile a performer he's been over the years.

I just find i can immediately identify with almost every single song as if i wrote them about my own experiences, in that way his music resonates with me unlike any other artist.  Sure, there's lots of artists i enjoy listening to because their music sounds good, but no one touches me time and time again like Billy, i even enjoy his song about fishing for fuck sake.

Punkstep is bang on regarding "All For Leyna" i'd never heard it before listening to that CD but within seconds, as soon as that piano opener hits, i was hooked.

Just on Monday i bought a 5 album set in HMV for £16, cant wait to start working my way through those.  Did anyone see the documentary about his tour of Russia on BBC4 a few weeks back, absolutely fascinating!

Steak, if you want some reccomendations, let me know, in the meantime, here's another of my favourites.

Angry Young Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2iNLt_hUZg

The thing with Billy Joel is, i always knew i was a fan, i just didnt realise it.  I borrowed a greatest hits album from a colleague 10 years ago because i wanted a copy of "River of Dreams", and upon listening to it realised at least a dozen other tracks on there i loved were actually Billy Joel songs, speaks volumes about how versatile a performer he's been over the years.

I just find i can immediately identify with almost every single song as if i wrote them about my own experiences, in that way his music resonates with me unlike any other artist.  Sure, there's lots of artists i enjoy listening to because their music sounds good, but no one touches me time and time again like Billy, i even enjoy his song about fishing for fuck sake.

I agree with this entirely.

I only caught the last five minutes or so of that BBC 4 documentary, hopefully it's still on the iPlayer. There's been some great music documentaries on BBC4, there's one above The Eagles that's always repeated which is worth watching too.

• Paid Members

I've become a bit obsessed lately with 80s-inspired synthpop, I think it originally stems from playing to the Drive soundtrack to death last summer. Anywho, this is probably my favorite song I've heard/discovered over the past several months. Just lovely.

If you like this, worth checking the other videos from the same account that uploaded it. Cracking synth numbers on there.

• Paid Members

What a beauty.  I'd forgotten all about this song and then,  BAM, whilst washing up on Saturday afternoon it popped into my head out of absolutely nowhere.

I'm pretty down on my brain as a rule, but it has it's moments. 

Roxette - Almost Unreal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El7GVPUl-r0