Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

Bought a dvd off Amazon when I was pissed last week and it's region 1, not a problem as it works on the ps3 but it looks fake as fuck, its in a dead slim box rather than the thicker ones we have and the dvd itself has the UK and Irish age certificates on even though they're not on the box

So basically, does it sound fake?

I know it shouldn't really matter as it works anyway but I'm pretty fussy about my DVD collection and don't want a copy in it

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone got much experience dealing with UCAS? I'm applying to go back to uni in September and filled out my application mid November, pending a reference from one of my old college tutors. I'd been waiting on the reference since then until this week when I decided to chase it up, turns out the tutor never got an e-mail from UCAS asking him to provide a reference. I had to log in to my application, delete all the information I had saved for my reference, then type them back in (nothing had changed, everything I'd put down on the form was right) and save them. This time he got an e-mail from them and completed and submitted my reference, but they still don't have it. Their only correspondence so far has been suggesting we do everything we've already done, it's pretty obvious that the problem is on their end but I'm the one who needs to fix it. The deadline for applications is in 6 days, so I have until then to get everything sorted, but they're really not making this easy for me. Anyone know anything about this kind of issue, similar issues with UCAS, or failing that, what drugs I should be taking to try not to blow a gasket over their systems potentially fucking up my future?

Have you paid for your application? Once the reference is submitted, paying for it is the last step and then it goes to wherever you've applied.

January 15: although that is the published closing date, you can still submit applications after that date. Universities will consider it if they still have places available, but it might be worth giving them a call first and making sure.

I couldn't pay at the time, the reference section was listed as incomplete so the payment link was greyed out. It took a while but it eventually got sorted and sent away yesterday. First time I've ever had any problems with UCAS, I've used them a few times and nothing strange happened. No point dwelling on it now that it's sorted, now I'm just playing the waiting game. 

• Paid Members

Can someone help me with a video download? I'm looking for Byker Grover, series 8 episode 12. I've found a couple of websites that says it's downloadable but I can't do it - either because it's not showing or because I'm at work and it's blocked or something.

Anyone give me a hand and maybe Dropbox it or use an upload site?

EDIT: Actually, I don't know if it's epsiode 12 or 13 I need so if anyone can find them both I'd really appreciate it.

• Paid Members

The BBFC have a handy fees calculator to work out how much it might cost to get something rated.

Interestingly, BritWres events could get rated as an "As Live" production, as opposed to "DVD/Blu Ray", which appears to have a flat rate of £101.50+VAT. Although to qualify, the event would have had to have occurred within the last 7 days so they'd have to have their post production sorted out pretty sharpish.

• Paid Members

Does every film that's sold in the UK have to be certified by the BBFC? I know for any serious distribution it does, but what's the score with DVDs that are only sold at gigs and/or from a single website -- is it a case of it being illegal and nobody caring?

Yep, they should be although I doubt anyone will chase them up for it unless it somehow contained obscene material

Are BritWres DVDs rated?

Some of them chuck a certificate on to make them look more legit which is actually worse than not having a certificate because its copyright infringement. The only ones I can think that might have had legit BBFC certificates were 1PW when they released in HMV although it wouldn't surprise me if they just made that up. Theres a fair few companies that have managed to get their DVDs into stores recently, be curious to see if any of them have legit BBFC classification, easiest way to check is to just search for them on the BBFC website.

• Paid Members

Sticking fake certs on films is an art — there were definitely films released in the US where they were given a fake X certificate, to make them seem edgier. On the flipped, there are film nerds who will point out the typography of an R to prove that the distributor made up their own rating. Sure it happens plenty on films in the UK — definitely got some videos from the corner shop when VHS was being phased out that had one cert stickered over another, stronger certification.

• Paid Members

Stickers were all the rage back in the 80s when video shops had loads of un-certificated which became illegal when the classifications came in. A wonky 18 sticker on a massive clam shell VHS box was the sign of a good old school video shop.

Archived