General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, FLips said:

@Frankie Crisp Saw this trailer on Amazon Prime and thought it might interest you.

I'm sure Frankie will be pleased to have others scouring the IMDb for other shark films aside from me.

On 8/5/2024 at 7:13 PM, Merzbow said:

David Lynch is no longer able to direct in person saying he's now housebound with emphysema due to smoking for so many years, gutting news.

I mean it's shit for sure (although he claims he's in good shape outside of the not being able to leave the house thing so sounds like he as a human being seems to be doing OK with it) but I'd kinda always taken Twin Peaks: The Return to be the end of his main body of work.

Now sure, there was 11 years between Inland Empire and TP3 and 78 isn't at all decrepid (look at Coppola or Miller bashing out films this year) but it just sort of felt like there wasn't much chat of him doing much else large scale (i'm not counting Crysta Belle music videos) outside of vague thoughts about projects (that Lynch has kinda always thrown out with little actual further development).

Also TP3 felt like a sort of Requiem. Revisiting arguably his most popular/iconic work and using it to look at aging, life ending, the risks of nostalgia and so many other small similar themes. It was pure Lynch, a love letter to the fans and an instruction to them to go out and find something new.  There's so many tiny little references and details to all his other works and a seemingly endless rotation of actors who've starred in other works he's done. Little things like how David Bowie was factored in to it (and how he chose to end his work when he knew he was on the way out)... it really felt like the culmination of this amazing career.  Added to that you've so many "Lynch people" dying after it's made, from the number of Twin Peaks actors to longtime collaborators like Badalamenti and Catherine Coulson (and that incredible use of her almost final days within the show).  It's just kinda possibly the most perfect ending to one of the greatest auteurs of our generation's work.

But yeah if he announces another film shot in his house tomorrow I shall bate my breath and sit with absolute anticipation.

• Paid Members

100% agreed; I thought from the first couple of episodes of The Return that it was a very conscious attempt to make a swansong for his career as a whole, not just for Twin Peaks, and that a lot of it is spent either referencing or thematically tying together all of his work.

I've been doing a Twin Peaks rewatch recently, because the Evolution of Horror podcast are doing a spin-off Twin Peaks watch-through that my girlfriend's listening to. She's never watched The Return, and I just can't wait to get through the slog of most of series two and revisit that series; I loved having to wait a week between episodes, soaking up all the theories and debates, trying to figure out what was going on, and always everyone being wrong about all of it. I'm curious how differently I'll experience it without that social aspect, and how much will mean something different to me with hindsight.

As much as it ended with something that could be construed as a cliffhanger or an open question, I don't think it did, it ended with what David Lynch would probably consider an explanation. I'd love to see more, but we were spoiled enough to get what we got.

That, even since The Return aired, looking at a list of cast members that are no longer with us is sobering reading - Miguel Ferrer, Angelo Badalamenti, Julee Cruise, Warren Frost, Harry Dean Stanton, Peggy Lipton, Piper Laurie, Walter Olkewicz, Robert Forster, Al Strobel, and plenty more, between those who were only in The Return, and some who died before it aired. It's difficult to picture Twin Peaks without some of them, and for some, hard to picture any David Lynch project without them.

I know it's been said that he could still direct remotely, but I can't picture him going for that, and he's struggled to get funding to direct anything substantial for a few years. I imagine we're more likely to get more music and other projects out of him than ever getting another movie. 

• Awards Moderator
On 8/5/2024 at 11:08 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm sure Frankie will be pleased to have others scouring the IMDb for other shark films aside from me.

I really hope my missus never signs up to Letterboxd and tracks my account down.

IMG_8980.gif.c4d30ce27872731b485d0900c810eb53.gif

14 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

I really hope my missus never signs up to Letterboxd and tracks my account down.

IMG_8980.gif.c4d30ce27872731b485d0900c810eb53.gif

Hey, you seen the latest shark film on Prime No Way Down? A plane that’s crashed at the bottom of sea that is some how only partially submerged is set upon by sharks! I watched half before being forced to turn it off but it’s definitely watchable as far as shit shark films go.

• 1 month later...

I like Kyle Gallner's progression from "that creepy dude" which would just appear in films as a minor character to lead actor, he always made an impression regardless of how long he's was on screen.

I still say Dinner in America is the greatest American comedy in recent history, he shines so much in it.