Charlie Brooker's Screen Wipe

CracktonMoj

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought his point was quite interesting, about how you pay for the content but are denied it.

I fucking hate this as well.

Taken objectively, this all makes sense - but I've found that in a lot of games, the reward of unlocking new parts of the game/tracks to play/characters is a major part of the impetus to play on. As an example, in the latest Fire Pro for the PS2, all the wrestlers are there from the start, as are all the rings and venues. There is very little incentive to play in single player except for the joy of playing. I would have much preferred something to play for.

There are also other nitpicky problems with Dara O'Brain's segment (GTA4 has an option to restart the mission immediately via your phone, cutting out a lot of tedious driving - also, cabs help) too.

Also, those Consolevania guys made me want to stab my eyes out. 'Oh, British games for the 8-bit computers were so great due to them being homebrew and unfinished and broken and buggy'. Well, nostalgia is a powerful thing, but that argument doesn't make much sense to me. British games are great because they're badly done? Then at the end, after talking about how people who love Sonic and Mario are cunts because they were made by EVIL CORPORATIONS BEING ALL CORPORATIONY FROM AMERICA AND JAPAN, they venerate MARBLE MADNESS, a game made by ATARI, a division of fucking WARNER BROTHERS. It's like listening to a horrible debating mutant that is half Peter Kay and half Vince Russo with a dash of Scotch.

I thought his point was quite interesting, about how you pay for the content but are denied it.

I fucking hate this as well.

Taken objectively, this all makes sense - but I've found that in a lot of games, the reward of unlocking new parts of the game/tracks to play/characters is a major part of the impetus to play on. As an example, in the latest Fire Pro for the PS2, all the wrestlers are there from the start, as are all the rings and venues. There is very little incentive to play in single player except for the joy of playing. I would have much preferred something to play for.

There are also other nitpicky problems with Dara O'Brain's segment (GTA4 has an option to restart the mission immediately via your phone, cutting out a lot of tedious driving - also, cabs help) too.

Also, those Consolevania guys made me want to stab my eyes out. 'Oh, British games for the 8-bit computers were so great due to them being homebrew and unfinished and broken and buggy'. Well, nostalgia is a powerful thing, but that argument doesn't make much sense to me. British games are great because they're badly done? Then at the end, after talking about how people who love Sonic and Mario are cunts because they were made by EVIL CORPORATIONS BEING ALL CORPORATIONY FROM AMERICA AND JAPAN, they venerate MARBLE MADNESS, a game made by ATARI, a division of fucking WARNER BROTHERS. It's like listening to a horrible debating mutant that is half Peter Kay and half Vince Russo with a dash of Scotch.

bang on. Rob Florence's nausiating sense of self and his overall mission to get another sitcom made overpowers any point he tries to make. If he ever had one in the first place. His own gaming show videogaiden was basically a sketch show that happened to be about games. Whereas Brooker has made an actual videogames tv show. Brooker said it was a one off. But I heard a few whispers that the production company are interested in further shows. Don't take it for gospel. It's just something I've heard

This is the first time I'd seen Charlie Brooker, as for some reason I always imagined he'd come off as an arrogant twat, but I've now turned into a fan. Great show.

And never mind pushing Mylene Klass into a canal - was I the only one disappointed the friendly neighbour-em-up wasn't real? :(

I can't look at the Wii remote the same now, just cracks me up with how he described it and showed it.

Re CracktonMoj, didn't know that about GTA: 4. Just got an Xbox 360 and the only game which stays in is Batman: Arkham Asylum which I'm making my way through. Still don't like islands being unavalaible if you can't do a mission. Surely there must be a better way. I also own GTA: 4 so didn't know about the rest as well so thanks.

bang on. Rob Florence's nausiating sense of self and his overall mission to get another sitcom made overpowers any point he tries to make. If he ever had one in the first place. His own gaming show videogaiden was basically a sketch show that happened to be about games. Whereas Brooker has made an actual videogames tv show. Brooker said it was a one off. But I heard a few whispers that the production company are interested in further shows. Don't take it for gospel. It's just something I've heard

Heard where? I'd have thought the production company would've been Zeppotron.

• 2 months later...
Bump for tonight's Screenwipe Review of 2009.

10:30 BBC4

Good call that. Haven't touched my freeview box in months...

The advert right before the episode - is that the only advert they've had for this?

Archived