Off-Topic Questions Thread - closed. Open new threads for specific questions please.

KRS

• Awards Moderator

Then why did we get 'em in the first place? After thinking it over, I wouldn't say Evolution is a pile of crap, but something very hard to believe and I still don't really.

I haven't heard the nipple thing Dave Beaste mentioned; but as we are all female 'by default' and then turned male at the right moment we're provided with the sexual development tools needed depending on which way we're going to develop. So nipples are there in case you were supposed to be Tequila Girl.To pick up the other point; so what do you believe in? And what is it you don't believe about the Big Bang?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

I guess I am growing closer to the diea of creation. My main concern with the Big Bang. So the Big Bang happened when some particles reacted together, sop where did these particles come from?

Big Bang refers to the first thing that happened in the universe (a sequence of massive temperature, reaction and expansion that created everything) as we know it. The actual moment of 'creation' is still debated, although popular theories include the collapse of a previous universe or a singularity entering flux.It was first arrived at by examining the current expansion of the universe and extrapolating backwards.

• Paid Members

yes.....us..........fish....right

Yes, us, fish. Evolution.Or are you a Creationist? If you are, I'm sorry.
I'm nothing at the moment but I don't believe in the big bang nor evolution from fish, monkleys maybe, fish no.
If you believe in evolution, you should maybe learn about it.When life was created, it began as a primordial soup - that is, a vast mass of liquid which contained just the right conditions to nurture gorwth of living organisms. These organisms were originally single-celled, but as time went on they would evolve into mroe advanced creatures to adapt to thier increasing predators and the nature of their environment changing, as the Earth cooled down and the levels of methane etc. in the atmosphere reduced. The primordial soup would eventually become water, the single-celled organismwould evolve into fish.Evenutally, the time came for evolution to progress even further, and these fish grew legs. Some would become frog and newt-like amphibians, which would be capable of land-based movement but would be far more efficient in water, others owuld become reptiles like crocodiles, turtles - and dinosaurs.The Earth would continue to cool, and eventually the reptilian evolution would spawn in two directions. Those with wings would develop feathers which not only aided flight, but were also used to keep warm in the cooler winters. Land-based reptiles would evolve to grow fur - the first mammals. Then when the ice age came along, the last of the land-based dinosaurs would be wiped out by the low temperatures - but the furry, warm-blooded mammals were able to stay warm, including Wooly Mammoths, rodent-like creatures and a form of creature aesthetically disimilar to everything else - apes.So, we're all evolved from fish. Every animal on planet Earth can theoertically trace its ancestory back to a life in the sea - birds, reptiles, humans... and even fish.
You just watched that Guinness advert over and over didn't ya? ;) Seriously though, if my science teacher put it like that, I'd know a lot more about science than what I learned from watchin Jurassic Park and Guinness adverts...

You just watched that Guinness advert over and over didn't ya? ;) Seriously though, if my science teacher put it like that, I'd know a lot more about science than what I learned from watchin Jurassic Park and Guinness adverts...

Hell no, I read Horrible Science as a kid. I learned more from those books than I did from GCSE Triple Award.I prefer to drink Guiness over watching the ads. ;)

I've always wondered what it means when in a sentence or something, the term 'sic' is used, in brackets... For example, the NME do it a lot, like they might be writing about a band and say something like "they sound a lot like The Smiths (sic)". That is just an example I've come up with off the top of my head... I've never known what it means, any help would be very much appreciated. :)

• Awards Moderator

I've always wondered what it means when in a sentence or something, the term 'sic' is used, in brackets... For example, the NME do it a lot, like they might be writing about a band and say something like "they sound a lot like The Smiths (sic)". That is just an example I've come up with off the top of my head... I've never known what it means, any help would be very much appreciated. :)

Sic is usually written [sic], the Latin word meaning 'thus' or 'so'. It's used to say "I'm just quoting this, don't have a go at me if it's wrong (often spelling)".For example, "they sound a lot like The Smith [sic]".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The reason why men have nipples is nothing to do with evolution. It's about the stages of embryonic growth.Basically, an embryo is female for the first 6 weeks and grows as such. At around the 6-week stage the male sex chromosome kicks in and the embryo begins to grow its male characteristics. Therefore the foetus will have nipples and breast tissue.Because men still have breast tissue they can still get things such as breast cancer or gynecomastia (enlargement of the breast tissue

Archived