Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I watched the full HBO/Showtime cards throughout the week, slow watching but i avoided all results, few quick thoughts...

* Fight of the weekend was Bika/Dirrell, just a wild, rough, foul ridden contest but it was nothing less than compelling. I've never seen anyone with the ability to wing haymakers for as long and as powerfully as Sakio Bika, the guy is a machine. He dragged Dirrell into the trenches and outlasted him there. Bika's a guy i always associate with Joe Calzaghe, but he's a World Champion now late in his career and he's lots of fun to watch.

* The fight which was on it's way to being a fight of the year was James Kirkland/Glen Tapia, until round 3 it was the FOTY but Tapia's tank ran empty and Kirkland went into beast mode. Tapia's corner need signalling out for letting Tapia go out in the last two rounds, it genuinely felt like one of the those fights where Tapia could get seriously hurt. James Kirkland is a dangerous muthafucker and he's probably the most exciting fighter in boxing, never a dull moment.

* Guillermo Rigondeaux finds himself in a very strange position. He's on most people's P4P lists, he's technically one of the best fighters on the planet, but nobody wants to watch him fight. On Saturday he was in the main event of a HBO card and the arena litereally emptied after the Tapia/Kirkland fight, and the fans that did hang around boo'ed the fight with Joseph Agbeko. It's unfortunate because Rigondeaux has the potential to be in exciting fights, but the fact that he's a patient power puncher and just shuts down opponents. The thing with Agbeko going in was that he was a volume puncher who would go forward but once he tasted Rigondeax's power he did literally nothing for 12 rounds, there were rounds where Agbeko landed 0 punches. Rigondeaux might need to learn to get more aggressive in there because he's in a strange spot right now. You'd think they'd wanna get Rignodeaux in the biggest fight possible to try bringing in the fans but then do they want Rigondeaux knocking off the main draws in the division (Donaire for example).

* The Battle of Brooklyn was very disappointing, Zab Judah just didn't show up. Paulie boxed a great fight, looked sharp but he didn't have a willing dance partner. To have 2 Brooklyn fighters get boo'd at home tells the story really :( Paulie's still the fucking man though.

ep_poster__broner_vs_maidana.335220656_std.jpg

Who's on board for Adrien Broner/Marcos Maidada this weekend? If you haven't seen All Access part 1 yet (part 2 is on tonight), i highly recommend it. Broner's like a hyper-active Floyd Mayweather, he clearly loves the spotlight but he's making some bad mistakes along the way but he's turning himself into must-see TV.

Broner/Maidana really are like chalk & cheese in every way, and i think the majority of people will be tuning in to see Broner have a bit of a slap...whilst Broner is becoming a bit of a star, he's turning a lot of people off at the same time, but in a way where people will still tune in to see him lose.

I'm rooting for Maidana, i love his style and i'd love him to send Broner to the seat of his pants. You have to imagine Broner has the ability to box rings around Maidana, the hope is Maidana can get in there and rough him up. Gonna be good!

Broner-Maidana-NaokiFukada-WeighIn6.jpg

I'm intrigued by the Broner/Maidana fight. I think Maidana will struggle with Broner's hand speed and power which will make him hesitant to charge into him. Maidana always seems to get knocked down by world level fighters, even with his chicharito head. We've never seen Broner get pressurised with a flurry of powerful punches which I hope Maidana tries to do. He can't out-box him because he doesn't have the skills so will have to come out swinging.

Shumenov, Leo Santa Cruz & Keith Thurman are also on the card in world title fights.

• Paid Members

Ha!

Wasn't going to stay up for Broner vs Maidana but I'm glad I did now. Wasn't expecting that, chuffed for Maidana. Watching him drop Broner was as satisfying a time as I've had watching boxing all year. And it's been a great year. Lovely.

I guess Maidana figured out how to solve the "problem" He fought a great fight, both showed a lot of heart, Broner to come back from the knockdowns and Maidana in the later rounds when he was hurt and tired. It's going to be hard for Broner to take this defeat and how he responds will answer a lot of questions about him. I still feel like I did before he fought Malignaggi that he moved up to 147lbs too quickly. Physically he didn't seem ready for it and that showed last night. He can still come back and have a great career, hopefully he goes back down to 135lbs or to 140lbs. He shouldn't go straight back in there with Maidana for a rematch at 147lbs, that be a big mistake after what just happened.

I agree with that Gooner. Broner was sucking air in those last rounds, mouth wide open, gulping like a fish. He's needs better conditioning at 147 or its too much muscle for his frame. I did see he weighed in under the 147lb limit at 144lbs and then went up to 156lbs for the fight. His punches don't have the snap like they did at lightweight. They're hurtful shots but not jawbreakers. I had the fight 115-112 to Maidana, it should have been even more if the pushing and forearms were point deductible. I think the experiment at welterweight is over and he needs to drop down a division. The Malignaggi fight was a close call but this one showed he can't match it with a rounded welterweight fighter.

I thought Keith Thurman on the fight previous, showed more acclaim for a welterweight standout. He's got the power, the movement and composure to be a future star in this division. Soto Karass lived the true definition of "out on his feet." Stunned like a statue and then uppercutted to the canvas, luckily the referee was ready for the catch.

4_medium.gif

• Paid Members

Broner poor work rate in both welterweight fights is worrying. He just doesn't put his punches together enough.

Credit to Maidana for finding that 2nd wind just when Broner was getting in a groove.

He was huge at 135 so 140 will be interesting if he goes down there.Garcia is staying there for now too.

Some good doggy by both though.

Edited by Fox Piss

• Paid Members

in what has been an absolutely amazing year for boxing, i think my favorite fight of the year was saved for last. Broner's humbling was one of the more satisfying things ive ever seen in any sport. Broner showed character in the later rounds but before that he was was just beaten everywhere, his little sulks in the ring and in the corner, the play acting after the headbutt added with Maidana returning the little doggy-style gesture towards the end was just the cherry on the top.

Brian Kenny summed it up after the fight on the Showtime broadcast perfectly, berating Broner a little for not staying around after the fight and accepting his defeat like a pro. I've never seen a losing fighter pelted with litter as they have left the ring.

Keith Thurman has looked a start for a while, he may the true heir to Floyd Mayweather's throne when he's gone. Even after a rough few rounds i did expect Broner to come back and whilst thinking that i was thinking Keith Thurman would handle Broner no problem at all (no pun intended).

Great show, great year for boxing.

• Paid Members

Claire Balding's show on BT Sport this week had both Mike Tyson and Ricky Hatton on. Don't know if it's repeated, they were promoting their books mainly but they covered a lot of stuff. Worth a watch if it's still repeating.

EDIT - It is repeated. 3am on BT Sport. Worth Sky+ing.

Edited by wandshogun09

Claire Balding's show on BT Sport this week had both Mike Tyson and Ricky Hatton on. Don't know if it's repeated, they were promoting their books mainly but they covered a lot of stuff. Worth a watch if it's still repeating.

EDIT - It is repeated. 3am on BT Sport. Worth Sky+ing.

Pretty sure I seen Tyson wasn't allowed in the country the other day, did they do a video interview?

Edited by the_mole

Matchroom have done the deal to bring Terence Crawford over as Ricky Burns' mandatory challenger for an early 2014 fight. I was thinking, its a rare occasion to see an undefeated US prospect come over here and fight for a belt. The last one must have been Andre Dirrell when he faced Carl Froch in 2009.

Sports Life Stories with Chris Eubank will be on tomorrow, ITV4 at 10pm.