Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Lewis Ritson is quickly becoming one of my favourite fighters to watch. Can't help thinking he's going to get clipped at some point with how wild he gets sometimes, but that all adds to the excitement. 

Oh and that July 28th card is really shaping up nicely...

Dillian Whyte vs Joseph Parker

Kell Brook vs Brandon Cook

Katie Taylor vs Kimberley Connor

Dereck Chisora vs Carlos Takam 

Joshua Buatsi vs Ricky Summers

Conor Benn vs Cedrick Peynaud 2 

I really wasn't going to pay for this when Whyte vs Parker was originally announced...but Hearn's got my money now. The prick. 

• Paid Members

Sorry to turn this into a “boxing questions” thread but reading this article on BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/44509718

What does…

By defending the Lonsdale Belt for the third time, Ritson, 24, gets to keep the title.

…mean? Why has he only now just won it outright?

I thought if you fought for a belt and won the bout, you became champion and were for as long as you defended it. This seems to imply it’s not that simple?

Is there some complexity around winning a belt then and if so, is it only that tier of title or all boxing championships?

Edited by Your Fight Site

As far as im aware, of the top of my head, its the oldest belt in boxing history and one of the most prestigious.

It’s now also known as a stepping stone to bigger things. Whereas some fighters may win it and then say be offered a European title shot or a big money match against a higher ranked opponent and then take it, they will vacate and move on and the next person gets it, or if they smashed defending it, they lose it.  However, if they stay on and defend the belt 3 times, as far as im aware they will get to keep that belt then a new one made, or they get a new one made and the old belt gets passed on. 

Henry Cooper is known as having 3 of them, i think thats the record.  Many British fighters want to defend the belt 3 times to get one, even though it may temporarily hold back their career by keeping them at small hall shows when they could have gone on to bigger things. 

Think thats it. May be talking shite. 

Edited by Porkchopcash

3 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

As far as im aware, of the top of my head, its the oldest belt in boxing history and one of the most prestigious.

It’s now also known as a stepping stone to bigger things. Whereas some fighters may win it and then say be offered a European title shot or a big money match against a higher ranked opponent and then take it, they will vacate and move on and the next person gets it, or if they smashed defending it, they lose it.  However, if they stay on and defend the belt 3 times, as far as im aware they will get to keep that belt then a new one made, or they get a new one made and the old belt gets passed on. 

Henry Cooper is known as having 3 of them, i think thats the record.  Many British fighters want to defend the belt 3 times to get one, even though it may temporarily hold back their career by keeping them at small hall shows when they could have gone on to bigger things. 

Think thats it. May be talking shite. 

It would probably be easier to google the facts nowadays, but as i recall if a British Title is successfully defend 3 times the holder owns the belt (& what a beautiful old school belt it is) maybe in today's climate it is not such a big deal? But the Lonsdale Belt is steeped in history & what a real student of the game would dearly love to own. 

6 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

Is there some complexity around winning a belt then and if so, is it only that tier of title or all boxing championships?

A Lonsdale Belt is different / separate to a title belt, it's awarded to someone who wins a British championship and they get to keep it after three successful defences.  If they lose the next fight, they lose the British belt (and championship) but they keep the Lonsdale as they've won it outright. Essentially, a British title is lineal and there is only one at a time, but all British champions are awarded a Lonsdale which they keep if they meet the criteria.

• Paid Members

Ha, love this little dig at Canelo from Golovkin's press conference...

image.jpg

What's the general UKFF feeling on this rematch? I loved the first fight. Had GGG edging it myself. I'm a big fan of both but I'd be lying if I didn't admit the whole drug test/Mexican beef stuff has soured me on Canelo a bit. Golovkin's always seemed a top man to me, great to watch in the ring and he's fighting the good fight in this one. Love to see a decisive finish either way but I'd be happier if Golovkin wins. What say you? Is anyone still rooting for Alvarez? 

Edited by wandshogun09

Ive soured on Alvarez over the years, i have always liked watching him box, but feel he and Dela Hoya feel they are a cut above. Always bringing up that A-side of the deal argument. Things like that should be kept behind the scenes. The steroid thing was the final straw.

I can see why a draw was given in the first fight, i havent watched it for a while but at the time i thought he took 3 out of the first 4 rounds and won the last 2 and maybe won one in the middle. But can also see why people think it was a robbery as despite Canelo winning them rounds, GGG was the aggressor throughout the fight and overall seemed a bit more dominant than Canelo. I will definately be watching Sep 15th. I have a feeling it will be the first fight on BT PPV. 

A potential great fight this weekend, Josh Taylor v Viktor Postal. Taylor best known for himbling Ohara Davies. Postal has only ever lost once to Crawford. A massive step up. Postal best known for beating Mattheyse. 

Dubois v Tom Little. Little has talked a good game on IFL, comes across like BJS . But has made me want to watch the fight. 

Does anyone know what side the Kelly fight is on ch5?

I had GGG winning the first fight by a few rounds. I also hope that he wins the rematch. However, I have this sinking feeling that Canelo is going to beat him this time round. 

I'm looking forward to Taylor vs Viktor Postal on Saturday night. It's a real litmus test for Taylor. I've backed him for a while, so I am not going to jump off the bandwagon now. I think it will go the distance, and Taylor will win by 3 or 4 rounds in a very competitive fight. I am also looking forward to McGuigan making a tit out of himself as always. 

• Paid Members

Taylor vs Postol is on 5, yeah. 10.20pm by the listings. Should be good. 

Interested to see Dubois vs Little on BT as well. Really like Dubois, hope he can go all the way but it's very early days obviously. Anthony Yarde's on that show as well. And Martin Murray vs Roberto Garcia headlines as the makeshift main event after the Saunders pullout. Looks a decent enough little show in fairness. 

And yeah, pretty sure GGG vs Canelo 2 will be the first BT PPV. Would make sense seeing as they charged for the first fight and their PPV platform is supposed to be launching anyway. Would've liked to have seen a big double header with a UK card earlier on like the old days on Sky where you'd have maybe a Nigel Benn or Naz fight on here then over to the US for Tyson or someone later on in the wee hours. They could've had maybe a Tyson Fury and/or BJS on the UK half but Fury's fighting on the Windsor Park show in August so that's unlikely now. Could still do a Saunders fight maybe. And it wouldn't be a bad idea to have him ready for that date anyway. You know...just incase he needs to step in if poor Canelo is the unsuspecting victim of a dodgy steak again. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

GGG/Canelo 2 just feels weird at this point. When the tained meat thing first came up i genuinely thought it would blow over but it's put a huge black mark on the rematch. I'll be well up for it come fight time though.

• Paid Members
On 6/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, wandshogun09 said:

Dillian Whyte vs Joseph Parker

Kell Brook vs Brandon Cook

Katie Taylor vs Kimberley Connor

Dereck Chisora vs Carlos Takam 

Joshua Buatsi vs Ricky Summers

Conor Benn vs Cedrick Peynaud 2 

I really wasn't going to pay for this when Whyte vs Parker was originally announced...but Hearn's got my money now. The prick. 

yeh, top to bottom that's looking lovely. Cant wait.

Here's Warren's Windsor Park summer show...

35654409_1313209572146813_62311114775629

Not sure who Luke Jackson is. I'd liked to have seen Frampton given a biggish domestic showdown or a more recognised name. Jackson is a 16-0 Olympian from Australia.

Interesting to see that this won't air on Boxnation. Apparently all Warren produced shows are exclusive to BT now.

Edited by Egg Shen