Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

ITV are launching their own PPV channel. If Eubank thinks he is going to make a fortune on PPV fighting for the IBO title then good luck to him. I've not heard of Renold Quinlan, and to be honest I couldn't even be arsed to google him let alone pay to see him fight.

The only positive I take from this is that ITV are back in the game. They haven't shown boxing since mid-2015 when Frampton defended his World Title in Mexico. It's been even longer since they've had consistent coverage. I've always associated ITV's boxing coverage with Nigel Benn, those domestic Heavyweight classics in the mid-00's, and the Big Fight Live theme. Good memories. 

I doubt I'll pay for this though. I would be tempted if it was a rematch between Eubank Jr and Billie Joe Saunders, but not for Eubank Jr fighting for a version of the World Title that few take seriously. ITV is probably Eubank Jr's last bridge. Matchroom and Warren don't seem keen on doing business with him again, and for good reason. Eubank Snr even has an ongoing feud with IFL of all people. It works both ways though. Eubank Jr is probably one of the few big names that is available to ITV at the minute. Haye won't be available until next year at the earliest, and it looks like Groves has a home on Channel 5. 

This iTV deal is really odd no? 

I look at it in two ways - One they re-launch there boxing schedule slowly and work there way up into a PPV marketable event. Or alternatively they kick it off with a big name fight to lead into the rest of the year. They've chosen neither. 

• Paid Members

You'd think they'd want to get this on terrestrial TV do huge numbers and build to a PPV show like Sean said. Like i posted previously though, im waiting on full details before i fully rip on it. I just can't see how anyone believes its worthy of PPV billing. Eubank Jr. posted something on facebook about how honored he is to be fighting for a World Title on ITV PPV. It's hardly a World Title, the IBO title is one of them paper titles that mean pretty much nothing. Eubank and his team are a strange bunch.

• Paid Members

Eddie talks about the Eubank PPV during this interview, he seems as baffled as the rest of us.

Eubank himself has faced backlash for claiming his IBO Title shot is some kind of big deal, this was on facebook:

For my loyal army of haters who came out in force again last night to claim that the IBO world title I will be fighting for in February is not a 'real' or 'recognised' title. Here is a short list of past & present IBO champions who may disagree with you.

Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin
Wladimir 'Dr Steel Hammer' Klitschko
Lennox Lewis
Roy Jones Jr
Bernard 'The Executioner' Hopkins
James 'Lights Out' Toney
'Prince' Naseem Hamad
Ricky 'Hitman' Hatton
Manny 'Pac Man' Pacquiao
Floyd 'Money' Mayweather Jr

So show a little more respect & please don't let your hate blind you from the wonderful truth that Chris Eubank Jr will become a Super Middleweight World Champ in less than 2 months, live on ITV Box Office & write his name into boxing history alongside all these other great IBO World Champions

Eddie was on the money regarding the PPV deal. Nobody's paying money to see Eubank fight a bum. Jr's a draw, but I still personally feel he's only a PPV headliner draw next to someone of similar stature as him or bigger, he's not AJ where people will pay to see him KO any old bloke. The undercard need's to be stacked but I just don't see that happening. Matchroom/Sky and Box Nation/BT have most the other major draws in boxing over here currently. Who can ITV really pluck out of the air to sell this too.  

On another Hearn related note I loved his McGregor impression of "Who da fuck is dat guy" btw. For all Hearn claims in his interviews to not really pay that much attention to MMA/UFC I don't buy any of it. More and more you see elements the UFC have been successful with incorporated into Matchroom shows. 

Edited by seanz25