*Official* Youtube.com cool finds thread

quote the raven

• Paid Members

Fucking hell, I just watched that show the other day! Its from the WWF Superstars episode following the Survivor Series. Its actually supposed to be promoting the house show match where he lost it to Diesel.

Diesel cuts a promo following it. Its so much like Roman Reigns promo, its shocking. All shite comedy and rolling his wrist.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

That'd only have been in the New York markets wouldn't it? As a kid, I feel like the next time wrestling was on after Survivor Series, they announced Diesel had won the belt. I always thought that MSG show was about three days after Backlund won it.

Were those Backlund interviews all as one segment with the cuts in it like that, Ian? I couldn't work out whether it was something that would have been interspersed throughout the show.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Livewire clip above, that's a brilliant find! How did JR get the salt of the earth rep? He seems horrific as a person.

Edited by King Pitcos

• Paid Members

Yeah, they're cut like that. I assume its because Backlund couldn't do a 3 minute promo and they just cut out all of his long pauses and mistakes. Heyman used to do it in ECW to try and get something watchable out of that lot.

Definitely never saw that as a kid. Because of the delay and being in the UK, SKY or WWF must have just cut those bits out where they were promoting the MSG house shows.

They left loads of that awkward stuff in to make it look like a mental bloke's outtakes as well. I wasn't sure whether it was all even aired footage. They've got him saying it's 1984 at one point, and another where he tells fans they've finally got a wrestler who "you can look up to you."

You can imagine Vince looking at wrestlers like Backlund doing promos and thinking one day he'd love to have scriptwriters.

• Paid Members

Bob Backlund is the living proof that not everyone should be allowed to speak off script. Its one thing if you are Punk or Stone Cold, but can you imagine 20 years on if you gave Backlund a live mic?

EDIT: Actually didnt Backlund ruin the Hall of Fame or something, one year? I remember he did something that angered Vince.

There must have been some sort of in-joke backstage to allow that to air on TV.  The entire thing is like an outtake reel.  Every single cut is like another take gone wrong.  He gets the year wrong within the first 30 seconds for fuck sake.  And there's no other reason to leave the clip of him losing his voice in other than if they're purposely taking the piss.  Same with the 10 seconds of blank staring at 1:09, which is hilarious.