Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Best Okada match in AEW? I laughed when Ciampa said it was a dream match that everyone wanted. But they exceeded my expectations. A really great match. Okada is the best at doing a closing stretch. Tied between this match and the Trios match for match of the night. I loved the Hangman and Swerve interactions. I think what makes their rivalry so special is that they haven’t overdone it. They’ve had their feud, not hundreds of matches, but it’s always there, ready to go again.   

It was excellent, but definitely not in my opinion - his matches with Takeshita and in particular the triple threat with Dorada were significantly better and the tag matches against Brodido also come to mind but I’m sure there are others I’d rank above it, as good as it was. Okada often gets a bad rap for not being what he once was, and while I’ve not seen his Japanese stuff, if there has been a decline it can only have been from exceptional to superb.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Apparently it was Dustin Rhodes who agented the match. If this was anywhere else, questions would be asked for allowing someone with 36 matches under his belt do something that dangerous. But as @herbie747 said on his interview with Alan4L years ago "its wrestling, nobody ever learns anything."

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Depressingly likely they tried to run the spot past Dustin but he was too distracted looking at photographs of guns on Twitter.

Edited by Supremo
Posted
13 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Apparently it was Dustin Rhodes who agented the match. If this was anywhere else, questions would be asked for allowing someone with 36 matches under his belt do something that dangerous. But as @herbie747 said on his interview with Alan4L years ago "its wrestling, nobody ever learns anything."

Wasn't it Dustin who got disciplined/sacked from WWE for letting someone do something dangerous in a match he was agenting?  I have vague memories of some sort of incident, though I may be mixing him up with someone else. 

Posted

Good show, could've been improved by a bit better maych placement, but its one of those PPVs that if you watched it it was entertaining, but if you didnt you didnt really miss much. Aside from the Bucks winning the tag belts there was nothing majorly newsworthy.

Pac/Andrade is a good match, but didnt really start the PPV hot, tag titles going here would've got it off to a proper hot start.

Obviously can't plan for the Borden injury, but from that to Persephone and the open challenge was a tough watch, if id been watching live id have been fast off by this point.

Thankfully from there, and especially from the Brawling Birds match onwards it really picked up and it ended fairly hot.

Ospreay/Okada already confirmed for Grand Slam Paris so I expect Dynamite this week to be more of a placeholder/lead in to that show but maybe we'll get some developments, Death Riders related or something else, no idea what the WrestleDream card will look like and its only 3 weeks away so theyll be moving quickly.

But yeah, enjoyable if not all that newsworthy.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Apparently it was Dustin Rhodes who agented the match. If this was anywhere else, questions would be asked for allowing someone with 36 matches under his belt do something that dangerous. But as @herbie747 said on his interview with Alan4L years ago "its wrestling, nobody ever learns anything."

image.thumb.jpeg.aa39d6158e6829d4169265dcdf16473a.jpeg

 

Posted

Enjoyed the show, like I do every PPV, but like others have said, the spot that Steven Borden got injured from took me right out of it for a good hour. Absolutely terrifying seeing his hand go like that, thankfully by the end of the show he was conscious and speaking so he hopefully won’t miss too much time out. Really great hearing in the aftermath the views of Taz and Excalibur of their experiences of in ring injuries to help ease the fears of the home audience

Posted (edited)

I thought Taz especially was excellent with the scary Borden injury. He seemed the first one to realise something was wrong, and then afterwards him speaking to camera about how safety comes first and relaying his own experiences with serious injuries was really helpful. 

Horrible situation and Borden shouldn't be doing spots like that anyway but I thought AEW handled the aftermath about as well as you could possibly expect. It's a relief it sounds like he's going to be ok.

I enjoyed the show a lot, the standards for AEW PPV's are so high and it was always going to be near impossible to match up to All In but I still thought it was a very good show. I thought Okada vs Ciampa was match of the night, Ciampa has totally proved me wrong. When it was announced he'd signed I was completely underwhelmed, I think the horrible NXT one final beat match or whatever it was called totally soured him on me.

But he's been great in AEW, he's had fantastic match after fantastic match. He's been a brilliant signing. 

Favourite moment of the night was seeing the crowd go wild anytime Hangman and Swerve interacted. They don't want to overdo it but they are a pairing that you can go back to at any time and the crowd will just lose their shit, it's a really special all timer rivalry.  

I'm not as down on the main event as some seem to be but I really really hope that's the last multi man run in, ref bump Death Rider AEW PPV main event we ever get. If this was them killing that off then fine, but please no more. 

 

 

Edited by digforvictory

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...