Paid Members Supremo Posted June 11 Paid Members Posted June 11 Everyone acting like it looks incredible, when it’s essentially just WWE’s Performance Center erected in the White House car park. Get some perspective. It’s no Wrestlemania 9. Quote
Dai Posted June 12 Posted June 12 16 hours ago, Supremo said: Everyone acting like it looks incredible, when it’s essentially just WWE’s Performance Center erected in the White House car park. Get some perspective. It’s no Wrestlemania 9. Its an Octagon a literal stones throw away from probably the world's most famous building, and the world's most powerful building. You're a hard man to please! Regarding Gane/Pereira, in these instances ill always go with the experienced and legit heavyweight, rather than the person moving up. It is super interesting though, and will be a fascinating watch. Quote
JakeRobertsParoleOfficer Posted June 12 Posted June 12 Massive Poatan fan and unlike some hes a very active fighter! If we pass his debut loss (how many atg lost 1 of their first 3) hes beaten everyone hes faced. I can take the Adesanya loss due to weight cutting as no idea how he made middle. Also no one thought he'd ice Ankalaev in the rematch. Now up at heavy will ot be? Without the weight making will we see an undrained beast....or a fighter whose biggest asset (size and power boiled down) gets exposd Now...Gane!!! Are we underating him?? He gave Ngannou hell and was it just a bottle job versus Jon Jones?? He sure as hell wasnt easy for Tom (descpicable foul aside) It is 2 kickboxers versus each other. Gane nevet lost in Muay Thai and had 13 bouts whereas Poatan had 40 and won 33...big difference!! Im going to go with Poatan as unlike Gane hes on the edge of greatness? And something special! I going ko1 If by some miracle ir does go 5? No way is Gane getting a decision. Poatan is where the gold (money) is As a footnote UFC not inviting Tom is shameful!!! Then again they announced he was the full champ at a nondescript event without even telling him!!! I Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted June 13 Author Paid Members Posted June 13 Haven’t watched the press conference and I don’t think I’ll bother. From bits I’m reading, Hokit just keeps interrupting everyone all the way through. Of course most of the reaction to it is ‘Hokit’s so funny man LOL. He made the press conference’. And ‘do you hate fun?’ to anyone saying his schtick is shite. Maybe I’m just an old fuck but even when I was watching 20 years ago, in my twenties, I don’t think I’d have found Hokit funny in the slightest. ‘You must hate fun’, and it’s just a grown man acting like an attention starved 7 year old. Somewhere along the line, the standard for what’s considered good trash talk/charisma dropped off a cliff. Went from Muhammad Ali to fat bigots just shouting bollocks. Can’t be doing with Hokit at all. And his fans are the types who would almost certainly shit on pro wrestling if asked about it, yet they love this twat who’s openly ‘playing a character’. Thick as wallpaper paste. Funny thing is, as bad as the Heavyweight division is in 2026, Hokit could’ve probably became popular without doing all this extra shit, just based on how he fights. Oh well. Here’s the presser face-offs… All political bullshit aside, that’s a cracking set of fights there. Starting to see rumblings of people talking themselves into believing Gaethje might pull it off but I’m not having it. Still think Topuria flattens him within two rounds, probably one. Nice to see Pereira sorted the hair out. We’ve gone into that fight, still got a bad feeling Gane wins but I really hope I’m wrong and it’s not like it’d be a massive shock if Pereira gets it done either. The rest, I’m thinking O’Malley, Hokit, Ruffy, Bo and Lopes get the wins. But I’d love to see the Black Beast wallop Hokit and I really think the Lopes vs Garcia opener is the dark horse show stealer on this card. Feels like that fight’s going massively under the radar but there’s serious barnburner potential there, I reckon. Still feels strange this being on a Sunday. The press conference and weigh ins being a day behind is weird. Luckily I’m off work this week so I can get properly stuck into this when I get up on Monday when Mrs Wand goes to work and the kids are at school. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted June 14 Author Paid Members Posted June 14 (edited) I was kind of with Supremo on this basically being a glorified WrestleMania 9 but I’ve gotta say, this does look mad… Seen people say it’s like a Street Fighter background. It’s no Pyramids of Giza like we had with the Usyk vs Verhoeven fight the other week but it’s pretty fucking insane as a visual. I read yesterday that Pereira weighed in at 251lbs, 3lbs heavier than Gane who was 248lbs. He looked better than he did in some of the build up stuff to me but, I don’t know. I just can’t look at Heavyweight Pereira and feel confident. Yeah, he’s technically weighed in bigger than Gane but that’s not necessarily good weight he’s packed on and his frame isn’t used to fighting with that extra bulk. Against a tricky, quick, natural Heavyweight like Gane, this feels like it could be a disaster. I’ve seen so many people suddenly believing in Gaethje pop up this week. From the time the fight was announced I didn’t see anything but ‘Topuria’s gonna crush him’ takes and now there seems to be a fair few people convincing themselves Gaethje is gonna do it. Seems to be all based on the press conference face-off where Gaethje was clearly taller. But he was always gonna be taller, I don’t know why that’s swinging opinion for some. Height doesn’t win fights. I also think it’s a lot of fans saying that stuff so they’ll look smart tomorrow if it somehow comes true. I’d be amazed if Gaethje wins though. He’s got a punchers chance and nothing more, in my opinion. Edited June 14 by wandshogun09 Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted June 14 Paid Members Posted June 14 Seeing the fighters facing off, pushing and shoving on the Lincoln Memorial, was positively dystopian. Proper Biff-Tannen-got-the-Sports-Alamac stuff. Or like John Carpenter came out of retirement to complete the trilogy with, "Escape from Washington." For what it's worth, I probably will watch this, which is more than I can say for 99% of UFC cards in the last three to five years, but I'm still not sure it's a good thing. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted June 14 Author Paid Members Posted June 14 Oh it’s definitely not a good thing. It’s never been a good thing that the UFC has gotten so far up Trump’s arse. It’s why, despite me being off work tomorrow, I’m not staying up to watch this thing live and I’m just gonna stick it on tomorrow when I’ll have the luxury of skipping all the Trump rimming. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted June 14 Paid Members Posted June 14 I'll be chucking it on after work tomorrow, stay off the social media and i'll be good to go. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted June 14 Paid Members Posted June 14 Saw an article where some bookies were offering odds on whether Trump will be presented a birthday cake, or join Rogan on commentary. Offer some proper odds, you cowards. ”Will Trump fall asleep during the show?” 1/2 Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted June 14 Author Paid Members Posted June 14 “Will Trump soil himself during the show?” ”Will Trump kick the bucket before the end of the show?” Anyone seen that Diego Lopes weighed in twice yesterday? Once at 145 for the Garcia fight. But also at 155 as the official backup for the main event. What the fuck? I like Lopes but I’m starting to think he’s doing sexual favours for Dana/the matchmakers at this point. I know it’s unlikely that either Topuria or Gaethje drop out at this stage but Lopes literally just went 0-2 in title shots against Volk. How many opportunities is he gonna be handed? I’m not even gonna moan about Tsarukyan being overlooked because I’m sure he said he didn’t wanna be the backup here. But I’m sure Charles Oliveira would’ve stepped up as backup. Or even just off this card, wouldn’t have been ideal but Ruffy’s right there and an actual Lightweight. I was joking before but this is really starting to make me think that they’re actually gonna run Volk vs Lopes 3 immediately if Lopes beats Garcia tonight. Feels like even if it takes until Volk vs Lopes 9, they’re just gonna keep booking that one until they get the outcome they want. Quote
Cousin Jim Bob Posted June 14 Posted June 14 There is a thunderstorm being forecast for Washington DC tonight. Which could be very funny if it hits halfway through this. Quote
Dai Posted June 14 Posted June 14 (edited) Has anyone ever done what Lopes has done before? Never heard of it. You're right though, its crazy. I wonder if there are viewing metrics that they have that have Lopes as being insanely popular. No other reason to do it. I'm going for Gane and Topuria for the main fights. Pereira doesn't actually look that bad from the ceremonial weigh in. No Jones pot belly, but I still think going up against a proper heavyweight, who is ripped at 250lbs, is something he won't be able to deal with. Only other prediction is Lewis getting starched within a round. Would love Iron Mike to get a nice win on the big stage too. Edited June 14 by Dai Quote
Dai Posted June 14 Posted June 14 This is a top 5 of all time, in terms of strength of card, for sure. 200 still tops it for sure, but not many others do off the top of my head. Quote
Gooner Posted June 14 Posted June 14 It looks like a strong card from top to bottom. I thought this was on PPV, so good to find out it isn't and I can try staying up tp watch it live as I know in someway it will be spoiled for me tomorrow before I get the chance to watch it. Pereira when I saw him about eight weeks ago on video, he did not look good at all, his belly completely hanging out through his shirt and I did wonder what type of shape he'd be in come fight time, but seeing him at the weight in, he looks really good. It's crazy how well he has done in UFC so quickly since leaving Glory and the kickboxing scene. The chance to become a world champion in a third weight division, what a huge moment that would be. Pereira and Topuria both to win by KO/TKO between 2/3 rounds. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.