Condiments, Sauces, and Storage

Lorne Malvo

• Members
1 minute ago, FLips said:

I’m still on the fence about BBQ Pizzas where they replace the marinara sauce with BBQ sauce. Sometimes they hit the spot and other times I’m begging for a regular pizza.

They're never going to be as good as a "normal" pizza though are they?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

They're never going to be as good as a "normal" pizza though are they?

In my short stint at pizza express we had did a carbonara pizza which was carbonara sauce, ham and an egg cracked into the middle of it.

BBQ ranked above that.

• Paid Members

I like BBQ sauce, but not as a replacement for marinara sauce - it's too sweet, even for me. Once had a gimmick "Oriental" pizza with hoisin sauce instead, and, addictive as that stuff is, that was also too much. Bread's too neutral a flavour; you need fat and salt to balance out the sweetness.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I like BBQ sauce, but not as a replacement for marinara sauce - it's too sweet, even for me. Once had a gimmick "Oriental" pizza with hoisin sauce instead, and, addictive as that stuff is, that was also too much. Bread's too neutral a flavour; you need fat and salt to balance out the sweetness.

Oh I’ve had one of those too and you’re right. Sweeter than Daz’s dessert cheeses.

• Members
16 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

hoisin sauce

I'm not a huge fan of that either to be honest.

1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

I had my first white sauce pizza when I was in Sheboygan and it was incredible, but so rich I could only manage one slice. Way above BBQ as a pizza sauce though, and I don't mind BBQ sauce.

What's that made with, bechamel? 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I had my first white sauce pizza when I was in Sheboygan and it was incredible, but so rich I could only manage one slice. Way above BBQ as a pizza sauce though, and I don't mind BBQ sauce.

Home Alone related visit?

Edited by FLips
Got my Candy films mixed up!

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Apologies if my tone was off. I think I should exit the thread, not you 

Personally I'm surprised Daz wasn't happy with how dry you were.

5 hours ago, Jesse said:

At the risk of being beaten in the streets, I was also sauce-averse until I got married. My wife is obsessed with suaces, so over the time she's gotten me into them too. Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce is now my go-to for any meal that allows it, and I'll eat a ketchup, mayo or burger sauce if it's on food while I'm out.

I'm not a huge barbecue sauce guy but picked up some Sweet Baby Rays sauce when it popped up in the middle of Lidl quite cheap. I'd seen quite a few US foodie YouTubers recommend it and was surprised how nice it was. I don't think it will convert any no sauce at all types but it does do what it sets out to do very well.

Lidl's different country food weeks can be awesome for sauces tbh. I always pick up Andalouse Sauce when it is Belgium week. It is so good with their skin on fries.