Mr McMahon Netflix doc Thread

Hannibal Scorch

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Three episodes into this and it's just another wrestling history lesson. Nothing nobody hasn't seen before. At least half an absolute waste of time.

Yup, halfway through episode three and it's basically just a history of WWE and, oh, by the way, here's some things that happened to Vince McMahon. It's well edited and easy to watch but, yeah, nothing revelatory at all. 

DX are gonna drive their 'tank' into WCW country any minute now...

Is the danger that we all already know what there is to know, or what is likely to br shared publicly at least, and they're trying to take the story to people who haven't been visiting the same wrestling forum for over two decades (God, I'm old)?

I don't think we're the audience who will get the most out of this.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Finished episode 01.

They just covered Wrestlemania 1, then said "and right on the heels of this big success, scandal hits" - and show the steroid trial. WM1 was 1985, the steroid scandal was 1991. Hardly "on the heels" of each other.  The timelines are already out of whack. 

Edited by herbie747

9 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Is the danger that we all already know what there is to know, or what is likely to br shared publicly at least, and they're trying to take the story to people who haven't been visiting the same wrestling forum for over two decades (God, I'm old)?

I don't think we're the audience who will get the most out of this.

Looking at the episode listings, the last year or two all seems to be in episode 6 so yeah I might just skip straight to that to see how they handled it. 

5/6 of this thing was in the can - at least conceptually - before the allegations came out.

I don't think we're going to really get much out of it personally. I think we on here mostly all know the history and there is absolutely no way a coercive abuser with more power than god in his profession at the time is going to reveal anything about himself because it's a weakness. Imagine if one of the interviewers sneezed.

If anything it'll lead to people not too into the industry to go 'wow isn't wrestling fucking shit, fake and gay' and some mutants online stroking their chins about it Vince is really guilty because the internet.

Anyone expecting him to be challenged at any length about his decision or scandals is just wishful thinking like I am. The real story about Vince will only come from evidence and people brave enough with nothing to lose to talk/slate his narrative. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

All the reviews I’ve seen suggest it’s just five episodes of your average WWE Network documentary

I'm 5 minutes into episode 02, and Hogan is already doing the usual "I didn't know if Andre was going to lose to me at WMIII" bollocks.

So far it looks like the same old recycled stories and exaggerations we've all heard 100 times before. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

All the reviews I’ve seen suggest it’s just five episodes of your average WWE Network documentary, and then in the last episode you hear someone shouting “turns out he’s a sex pest!” as they run out the door.

Yeah, I’ll admit I haven’t watched any of it yet, I’ll get to it at some point over the next few days. But the bits I’ve read on Twitter (mostly from that Trevor Dame bloke you’ve linked to funnily enough) make it seem like the newer scandalous stuff isn’t really tackled until it’s just tacked on in about the last half hour of the last episode. Sounds like almost all the talking heads came off badly as well but I’ll wait until I’ve seen it before judging that because I’m guessing a massive amount of the interview footage was filmed prior to the Janel Grant story coming to light.

Not expecting to learn anything new really but I’ll start it tonight. 

Edited by wandshogun09