47 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I wanna see Kay's Cooking going up for election next time, free hunions for all.

Faded Number of the Beast t-shirt in the House of Commons and every school lunch drowned in tomato purée from a tin can. Bring it on. 

• Paid Members

Some nitpicking/clarifications:

* The vote shares on the BBC (eg Labour 33) are based on the entire UK. The ones most people are using (eg Labour 35) are based only on Great Britain.

* Labour are 2 short of the record number of seats they got in 1997, but there were 10 more seats available in the House of Commons then. I believe this is the biggest share of the seats ever won by a single party. (There's a also a decent shot it's the lowest vote share to win a majority.)

• Paid Members

A compilation of silliness.

Chuffed about Corbyn winning and others shits getting the boot like Galloway, Rees Mogg, Fabricant etc.

In less than two years Truss has gone from Prime Minister of the country to unemployed. Incredible incompetence.

• Paid Members

The best line I've seen so far about a Tory losing was Ian Hislop saying of Johnny Mercer, "I guess this means he's a veteran now."

• Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

The best line I've seen so far about a Tory losing was Ian Hislop saying of Johnny Mercer, "I guess this means he's a veteran now."

I absolutely love Ian Hislop. During lunchtime on BBC News with Margaret Hodge discussing FTPT he said something like "And now it's a system that lots of people have suddenly realised they like" which got a pop out of me.

Also, Private Eye is great.

• Paid Members

Not sure I can put into words how much I hate Wes Streeting. Weasel-faced toadying lackey. That kid at school who did his homework before everyone else and then spent the week mentioning whenever he could, only to get a C-. 

5 hours ago, deathrey said:

Ahh thank you so much for clearing that up. It did seem crazy to me that he could run in more than one place!

They only changed the rules on that in 2006 though.

Previously it used not to be frowned upon in many systems with a single-member constituency element. Sometimes senior politicians would be returned for multiple places, choose which one they wanted to represent and the rest would all have to hold by-elections.

As for how that YouTuber managed it this time: there were only 16 days between Sunak announcing a snap election in the rain and overworked electoral services departments of local councils having to finalise the list of candidates. If he convincingly pretended to be 11 different people then they weren't in a position to question it so accepted the nomination as valid. 

Anyway, Labour gain here by nearly 5,000 votes so thankfully there was no need for tactical voting. The arch-transphobe Tory incumbent only finished third, while the Lib Dem I voted for came 5th out of 8 candidates, just ahead of the Greens, but lost her deposit.