AEW Double or Nothing 2024 - May 26th

Supremo

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I would have just announced it ahead of time. Not everything needs to be a surprise. He already had the Triple H 2002 clobber. They should have stole the entire segment. Tell the fans it’s happening at the end of the show. Keep people watching on TV. Sell some tickets for the arena.

Funny that MJF’s neon tan on this show makes Hunter look comparatively pale there.

But yeah. The only thing stupider than the tattoo itself is the idea he should stay in AEW for his whole career. Everyone fizzles out. Everyone needs a refresh. There’s money to be made. I’d be extremely shocked if MJF never goes to WWE. He’d be an idiot not to. Maybe they can make an angle out of it when he eventually turns up on Raw. Show it for heel heat. He can fight Cody, tattoo vs. tattoo. Loser gets it lasered off. Time limit draw. They both sort them out.

Edited by Supremo

10 hours ago, JLM said:

OK I said I'd shut up about Deeb's Heel/face situation but then she gave her flag to a kid at ringside and acted like she was a babyface for the first few minutes of the match. What the hell man.

My hope is that they actually use this for the heel turn. "I had seizures, I worked so hard to return, shook hands, kissed babies, did everything right and yet you boo me"

Pair Deeb with Deonna Purrazzo as a sort of women's blackpool combat club (but heels, consistently heels please) where they just beat/wrestle the crap out of everyone in their path, set up feuds with singles matches blow them off in tag matches. Eventually one turns on the other, feud for a while. There's plenty you could mine there without them being title contenders (which is often the issue with the women's division, stories often entirely orbit the belt)

• Paid Members

Sign Becky Lynch, form the Disarmy. Not a single arm unbroken in the division.

And yep totally agreed on more rivalries outside of the title picture. One of the reasons I’m a fan of the Rosa/Purazzo feud is that they’re not battling over a belt, they’re simply two wrestlers who can’t bloody stand each other. 

• Paid Members

That FTW three way was the wrestling equivalent of a horror film

Four near deaths - 

Jericho landing on his head with the double suplex

Shibata landing on his head from the top rope after that DVD to the table

Big Bill nearly crocking himself on that table leg 

Bryan Keith being sucked into the Jericho vortex

Then during the match you have those dice everywhere, sticking in the wrestlers back and must have made every bump uncomfortable. Hook looking for help. Jericho in pants 

It was like a car crash, horrible to see but you can’t look away 

• Paid Members

The trunks have to be the real fuck you to the fans. He’s pretending to take ownership of it all and it’s part of his schtick and he’s in on the joke and isn’t mad at all, but the pants are to punish us. 

• Paid Members

This whole act feels so ill-conceived. Intentional and meta leaning into genuine criticisms of the fan base to get heel heat doesn't feel in tune with the spirit (for lack of a better word) of what AEW is supposed to be about. Like it's hard to parrot "where the best wrestle" as your current mission statement while having this shite on every show.

I think Deeb as a heel is obviously way better. She had a decent heel run before her medical issues. She could recruit Leyla Hirsch and Marina Schirfir as a team of "shooters" or something along those lines.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

She could recruit Leyla Hirsch and Marina Schirfir as a team of "shooters" or something along those lines.

Has Shafir come along some since the Four Worsewomen days?

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I think she has. I still see a lot of people saying she’s terrible, but I think she’s got a good handle on the shoot style grappling/striking versus pro wrestler match up. She’s a horrible promo, but I think her in-ring has improved a lot and many fans have just written her off and decided she’s permanently shit. Unfortunately she is at her best outside of AEW. In a Bloodsport type environment it works, she’s had her best matches for REVOLVER, but  in AEW she needs an opponent who gets it or it ends up being an extremely clunky and weird match. 

She’s better than she’s given credit for and with a mouthpiece and the right booking I think she has something. 

Edited by JLM

I really like Hook and I know Jericho is currently not to be enjoyed, but it was Hook that let that match down. The table not breaking, meh can't blame anyone, but there were bits of that match where poor Hook was just stumbling about and you could tell he'd either blanked or was panicking. Has Hook regressed or something, or has getting him in longer matches let him down a bit?

• Paid Members

Yeah I think he’s just very green and can get a bit lost in there. His best singles match by a country mile had an absolutely exceptional pro in Joe leading him through it, and for longer matches he probably still needs that. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Has Shafir come along some since the Four Worsewomen days?

To add to what JLM has said, she also has a unique look and style and if you put her in a group setting where you can focus on her unique positives while covering her weaknesses I think she has something to offer.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Has Hook regressed or something, or has getting him in longer matches let him down a bit?

He's still incredibly inexperienced. He doesn't take any indie bookings so outside of what you see on TV he doesn't really have any additional experience and this is going to be more and more obvious as they put him in higher profile situations which require more from him. If they can ship him off to Japan or something for six months to get regular ring time with veterans it'd do him a world of good. Personally, I'm a bit bored of him and now that he's more than a novely act he needs a bit more to him. 

According to Cagematch he's had 63 matches over roughly just over three years. So that's about 20 matches a year and out of all of those probably over half of them have been sub five minute squashes. Without getting some significant ring time he's probably not going to progress any further than the point he's at right now.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Good to hear. I read an awful lot of twaddle on "formerly known as Twitter" that people think Baszler is under utilised despite never really graduating past "sinfully boring" so at least it's not contagious.

14 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

He's still incredibly inexperienced. He doesn't take any indie bookings so outside of what you see on TV he doesn't really have any additional experience and this is going to be more and more obvious as they put him in higher profile situations which require more from him. If they can ship him off to Japan or something for six months to get regular ring time with veterans it'd do him a world of good. Personally, I'm a bit bored of him and now that he's more than a novely act he needs a bit more to him. 

According to Cagematch he's had 63 matches over roughly just over three years. So that's about 20 matches a year and out of all of those probably over half of them have been sub five minute squashes. Without getting some significant ring time he's probably not going to progress any further than the point he's at right now.

Its one of the problems with Collision coming in and ending the attempt at running house shows. A TV show certainly makes more sense financially, but its curtailed some of the development prospects as they aren't getting enough ring time.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Its one of the problems with Collision coming in and ending the attempt at running house shows. A TV show certainly makes more sense financially, but its curtailed some of the development prospects as they aren't getting enough ring time.

AEW talent are allowed to take indie bookings so the only reason HOOK hasn't been doing them I guess is because he doesn't want to. Pity. Learning to get over with new crowds is pretty key for a wrestlers success.

• Paid Members

Ended up watching Anarchy in the Arena again. It’s up there for my Match of the Year. Just complete carnage. Darby’s Coffin Drop timed with the chorus of Final Countdown. Chef’s kiss. Distilled pro wrestling joy. As good as it gets.

Anarchy in the Arena and Stadium Stampede are the best new gimmick matches of the last ten years. The one or two nights a year where the most creative, batshit nonsense can happen. GTA or Saints Row come to life.

Anyway, seeing them occupy the same space here, I’m reminded we haven’t had Danielson vs. Darby or Danielson vs Jack Perry in singles matches yet, have we? I suspect both would rule. Obviously the Double J match is the priority, but then those two are right below it.