Your 5 (or as many as you like really) policies

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You could’ve just @‘d me, you coward. 

There are plenty of people who have done the same thing Keith, me included at times, so I feel it would have been unfair just to single you out, and I'm nothing if not fair. 

10 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This is the most "boomer" comment we've had in a while 

"We had a week in Southend in a tent on nothing but sand sandwiches and it didn't do us any harm" 😆

Week in Southend? You rich bastards! We had 2 nights open air camping in Jaywick and didn't eat at all...but we loved it as it took away some of the horrors of our daily lives....

19 hours ago, Carbomb said:

67. Make "-ize/-yze" official British spelling - we don't use zeds enough. No other switches to Americanization, mind.

One of my old lecturers had no problem with "-ize" but said that "-yze" endings lacked any etymological basis. After all, the most obvious example is "analyze" and the noun form of that is "analysis" rather than "analyzis" or even in American... but apparently they have started using "analyzation" too. And now I notice I've just written "anal" a lot which is probably apt. 

Anyway, originally missed Chest's original reply to my somewhat tongue-in-cheek schools policy and would have to disagree fundamentally that the education system should be used for teaching kids to do their taxes or how to wire a plug. It's meant to be designed for imparting basic knowledge then ideally expanding horizons and providing critical thinking skills, so it's not actually (at least for the compulsory 6-16 age bracket) best used as training for either work or real life.

I do agree with what Chest once said about a lot of questionable views simply being a failure of imagination though. Instead of thinking "oh, we need to take kids out of school for a fortnight because travelling is less expensive" just make legislating to prevent price-gouging during the summer holidays one of your five policies! Two weeks per academic year equals twenty-four weeks from Reception class through to Year 11 and that's a massive amount of development to miss out on.

30 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

teaching kids to do their taxes

I would, and my 14yo absolutely concurs, like to do see this happen more actually, along with things like teaching them about renting, mortgages etc, as I think that's a great use of their time, and preparation for leaving school. 

I'm not sure I'd have it replace anything mind, and im sure they do some of this through PSHE (I get told very little of what they do at school as per usual) 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Anyway, originally missed Chest's original reply to my somewhat tongue-in-cheek schools policy and would have to disagree fundamentally that the education system should be used for teaching kids to do their taxes or how to wire a plug. It's meant to be designed for imparting basic knowledge then ideally expanding horizons and providing critical thinking skills, so it's not actually (at least for the compulsory 6-16 age bracket) best used as training for either work or real life.

I feel like there's no reason you can't teach both to some extent. As an adult I would have really appreciated some basic formal education on things like mortgages, taxes etc. Surely education should be able to do some preparing you for adult life as well as making sure you get decent exam results.

Nah sorry, not having that, especially the part where Bacon wants to let current pupils set the curriculum! I can't stress enough that it's really not what school is for but that's getting into the philosophy behind universal public education which is maybe beyond the scope of a single specific (or even broad) policy. That's a fair point about there being a finite number of hours in the timetable, mind.

Even seeing it as an exam results factory misses the point somewhat. I'd prefer to know someone with rubbish grades who tried their best and paid attention in the lessons designed to raise their critical thinking skills, to an all-A* (or 9s or whatever it is now) student who was great at regurgitating what examiners want to hear and who's now just there to be a worker drone and well-behaved economic unit with no personality. 

I've seen memes during the time of year when tax returns are due in which sarcastically say stuff like "so glad it's parallelogram season and that school taught us how to figure out the length of the sides of a parallelogram instead of something useless like taxes!" and it's always from the same people who also post about "getting government out of our lives" which sound tempting in theory but are actually just a way of getting support for the removal of vital protections and regulations on private companies - essentially, the rabbit holes that vested interests need ordinary people to keep falling down, so that they vote the right way and the already rich can keep making themselves and their mates richer at our expense.

Not gonna pretend to have all the answers about the levels of despair I saw long before people had even finished their GCSEs but I can't fathom how filling in mock tax forms could possibly be one of them. I'd definitely have zoned out for starters.

What I think we should be doing, though, is to encourage original thinking and promote imaginative solutions, so hopefully they'll leave full of great ideas. Then when the next generation is in charge they'll come up with a better tax system instead and an even more efficient way of wiring plugs and a fairer concept of home "ownership" that doesn't involve banks, instead of just saying "well this is how we were taught that things are, so better not go changing it to something we don't understand" which is an attitude that's plagued both this country's ruling classes for far too long, as well as its downtrodden folk who leave school with pre-crushed spirits. 

1 minute ago, Fog Dude said:

Nah sorry, not having that, especially the part where Bacon wants to let current pupils set the curriculum! 

Where on earth did I say that? Just said my 14yo would like to see more of it.

18 hours ago, BomberPat said:

6. Everyone should get a designated number of "the weather's bollocks, I'm not coming to work" days - if you look out the window and it's absolutely pissing it down, nobody should expect you to trudge through it to work. Conversely, if it's 30+ degrees and bright sunshine, there should be an equivalent number of "the weather's great, I'm not coming to work" days too. 

I like this. It's similar to an idea I had years ago and I'm resurrecting it for the manifesto. Every employee gets one "fuck it" card a year. If you don't want to work, you cash in your card and there are zero ramifications. It can be through the course of the day too. Working in a call centre and got an absolute fucker on the phone? Just take your headset off, put the card on your managers desk and go home. Meeting from hell?  Just toss your card on the table and leave without saying a word. 

We had a business improvement feedback process at one of the places I worked where you could raise suggestions and a dedicated member of staff looked into seeing if they were viable. Despite presenting it slightly more professionally than I have here, unsurprisingly this suggestion was not deemed viable and didn't make the cut. 

• Paid Members

Very much agreed with that - I think I just focused on the weather because it was miserable and pissing it down yesterday, but yes, some kind of supported system for just being able to go, "you know what, this isn't working" or "I know I'll be less than useless if I come in to the office today" beyond just pulling a sicky.

When I was a temp in a call centre, I worked my way up to a point where I was managing their customer service emails so wasn't on phones that often. If it got really quiet on the phones, they'd start sending temps home early because they were overstaffed, and it would save them money. If I got all the emails answered before lunchtime and the phones were busy, I wouldn't tell anyone, because I didn't want to get shifted back on to phones for the rest of the day, but if I got them all answered and it was quiet, I'd volunteer to take a half-day instead. It meant losing pay, but at that point I was living with my parents and could afford it, and would rather fuck off to the pub than sit there at work and pretend to look busy. 

In general I think there needs to be a drastic rethink of our relationship to work and productivity, and obviously it varies for a lot of different jobs, but for office jobs, being tied to a desk 9 to 5, 5 days a week doesn't make sense. We know we have days that we're likely to be more productive than others, we know that some people are going to not really do anything after 3pm while others might have a real burst of productivity at 4 after spending the first hour of their day faffing about checking emails and making coffee. Things like UBI and 3 or 4 day weeks would really improve a lot of how we approach work, but I genuinely think that being able to have a far more open and honest culture about being able to manage one's own productivity and being able to say to your boss, "you know what? We both know I'm not getting anything else done today, I'm off" rather than a culture of having to look busy and keep up appearances, or to burn yourself out, or stick to a schedule that doesn't work for you, would be a massive improvement.

Subsidised skiving, it's the way forward.