The aew championship dilemma

So for me there is a bit if an issue with the aew title at the moment. 

I think a lot of people thought osprey will win it at all in. The problem is swerve Strickland is so good at the moment. If he wins the championship it doesn't seem right to give him a run that everyone knows will end at a certain point. But to give someone else the title until all in then give swerve it after osprey has a good run seems like it's a to long wait for swerve to win it. 

They could give swerve the championship and he defends it at all in and possibly beats osprey or he wrestles someone else and osprey isn't in the main event. Osprey v okada would probably be a great match.

What do you think? 

• Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

Don’t speak too loudly when talking about AEW having too many World Champion calibre performers. They may hear you and create yet another title.

It’s a nice problem to have. Swerve should absolutely be champion. But if Joe keeps it, I’m okay. If Hangman gets it first, sure thing. Ospreay as Champion? I could see it. Okada? From the way he’s been brought in, it makes sense. 

And to think, last summer we were quite happy with the prospect of Adam Cole winning the belt at Wembley. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Meant to say ‘loudly’ but was talking to the wife about Poor Things and wrote ‘poorly’ OKAY?!

22 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Don’t speak too loudly when talking about AEW having too many World Champion calibre performers. They may hear you and create yet another title.

It’s a nice problem to have. Swerve should absolutely be champion. But if Joe keeps it, I’m okay. If Hangman gets it first, sure thing. Ospreay as Champion? I could see it. Okada? From the way he’s been brought in, it makes sense. 

And to think, last summer we were quite happy with the prospect of Adam Cole winning the belt at Wembley. 

And not forgetting if/when MJF comes back, he's going to be after the title too. May not be the same level as the others, but he's another name to throw into the mix.

You could argue that the title is well enough established and they have enough high quality candidates to go all Attitude Era and just have the title change hands quickly back and forth between Joe, Page, Swerve and a returning MJF.

Create some genuine excitement and intrigue about each title defence.  Hell, have it change hands on Dynamite.

Let’s do something different for a change.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, no user name said:

Osprey v okada would probably be a great match.

It’s happened before, and it is.

• Paid Members

Osprey is in a position where he doesn't need the title at the moment.  Similar to Danielson. You can probably line up 8 months of dream matches and feuds before you put him near a title picture. Swerve is the right choice for the title for now and would probably be a fantastic title feud with Osprey down the line. 

I don't see the news the Osprey to be in the World title picture for All In. I honestly don't think doing so would shift more tickets. I'd be up for him having the main event match and it being for one of the TNT, International, Continental, Full English Breakfast title

• Paid Members

I had assumed that Ospreay would be winning the World Title at All In, but timing-wise that's going to be pretty tight now - the next confirmed PPV is Dynasty in April, then Forbidden Door probably happens in June, and All In in August.

If Swerve wins in April, that gives him maybe a four month reign before dropping it to Ospreay at All In, and that doesn't feel long enough for Swerve's first reign given everything building to it - and that's assuming the win comes then, and not later. Aside from the mess of changes between Moxley and Punk in 2022, it would be putting Swerve and Joe firmly at the low end of title reign length - I think Joe is more than established enough to survive that, but they don't want to look like they've dropped the ball with Swerve.

There's also the weirdness that, in London, Swerve vs. Ospreay would be a face-vs-face match. AEW aren't particularly held back by the heel/face dynamic, but Swerve is a relatively recent face, and I don't think that should be someone you put up against a hometown hero. Ospreay would be better served against a top heel.

Ospreay's signed for multiple years, so I think they can get away with not doing it this year. Last year's All In was a showcase match for him, next year could be a World Title win. What he needs this year is just a big match with some story behind it - if Anarchy In The Arena becomes a Wembley tradition, I can see Ospreay leaving the Don Callis Family to team with some other babyfaces against them and some hired guns, just let him be the centrepiece of the kind of big chaotic clusterfuck match that AEW do so well. Otherwise, there's the chance to do Ospreay vs. Okada on UK soil for the first time since 2015. In the unlikely event that Omega is back by then, they can do Ospreay/Omega for the first time in the UK, or have them team together for the first time ever. There could be all kinds of "dream matches" they manage to put together between now and then for him, it doesn't need to be a title match.

• Paid Members

Ospreay winning the title this year feels like rushing it. Personally I think the way to go is heel Hangman winning the title from Joe as soon as he's back then dropping it to Swerve at All In. Swerve needs that big babyface title win and it'll work best against his arch nemesis.