Missed opportunity

SwayWays

• Paid Members

They're really missing a trick at Rumbles by not having a countdown end only for him to pick up a mic, stand on the announcers' desk and yell "I'm afraid I've got some bad news...." Imagine the pop!

• Paid Members

From what I remember as well the Bad news schtick originally came from a funny skit he used to do on The JBL & Cole Show, which was a weekly thing they used to put on YouTube. It really stood out at the time because on that YouTube show all the talents were improvising, full of personality and funny as fuck and then they would be doing the most boring heavily scripted shite you've ever seen on the TV shows.

I remember Barrett coming back from one of his injuries and he had really leaned out. Good for his health obviously but aesthetically he looked a bit weird. Went from being fairly hench to tall and somewhat skinny.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It wasn't great, but it was better than The Wasteland which always looked like the most basic of set-up moves.

100%. I hated that finish - I'd seen loads of wrestlers over the years do exactly that to put people in position for top-rope stuff.

55 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

The Bull Hammer was probably a bit ahead of the times as a finisher. It would fit in now where loads of people used strikes for finishers. At the time it seemed a bit weak.

I was interested to see how it would look after some time, after he'd had more practice. It seems to be the case with a lot of striking finishes. Kassius Ohno's spinning elbow was shite the first few times he did it, but it looked pretty brutal after he'd got used to the distance, foot placement, etc. Same with Jericho's Judas Elbow. 

As regards the Bull Hammer, I'd stopped watching WWE shortly after he adopted it, so I never got to see if it was any good later on.

Just regarding Barrett, I remember him having some really good matches with Sheamus, when he had the Bull Hammer gimmick before the Bad News one. I went to a TV taping at Birmingham in 2012 I think, where the best match of the night by far was this one, and I'm sure they did it a few times on TV. Think the one we saw ended up on Superstars or something. They also had a vignette for him where he was fighting in a garage or something. Thought it could have gone somewhere, albeit the Bad News Barrett character certainly caught on more with the crowds.

Edited by jm29195

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

As regards the Bull Hammer, I'd stopped watching WWE shortly after he adopted it, so I never got to see if it was any good later on.

It got much more devastating when he started turning his black elbow pad inside out (revealing a red interior) before doing it. Red hurts more than black. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, jm29195 said:

They also had a vignette for him where he was fighting in a garage or something.

Yeah that was when they were playing up the "former bare knuckle brawler in Eastern Europe" part of his backstory. Completely fictional but I admire how he's stuck to kayfabe all these years. Pretty sure he worked in IT before becoming a wrestler or something similar. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

100%. I hated that finish - I'd seen loads of wrestlers over the years do exactly that to put people in position for top-rope stuff.

This is another Mone Maker situation... there was times when it looked really brutal when he put real whip into it. But that was only when he was throwing someone small enough to do so. That, or when he did it to a Mark Henry-level lump. Anyone any size in between, it's a Poundland FU/AA... which was crap to begin with in itself.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

They're really missing a trick at Rumbles by not having a countdown end only for him to pick up a mic, stand on the announcers' desk and yell "I'm afraid I've got some bad news...." Imagine the pop!

As long as he doesn't have an orange singlet on and a head guard on....

Completely forgot they gave Barrett a gavel and a scissor lift by the stage too, as if that wasn't going to catch on.

King Barrett. State of that, no wonder he took a break, he must have realised he was fucked for a bit.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, air_raid said:

This is another Mone Maker situation... there was times when it looked really brutal when he put real whip into it. But that was only when he was throwing someone small enough to do so. That, or when he did it to a Mark Henry-level lump. Anyone any size in between, it's a Poundland FU/AA... which was crap to begin with in itself.

With that Menry mention, a new idea for a thread.