It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

A final random couple of historical notes for dorks like me who appreciate this kind of thing - while a couple of men (Edge and Punk) have twice successfully cashed in the briefcase before, in losing the Silver Medal to Priest, to my memory this makes Drew the first man since to be cashed-in on succesfully twice since.... Rollins, in 16 by Ambrose and 19 by Lesnar. Who'd followed Cena in 2006 against Edge and later against RVD - of course, Cena would later be unsuccessfully cashed in on too, by Sandow.

At first though, I considered if this made Seth the most "involved" wrestler in briefcase history, having cashed in on Lesnar, been cashed in on twice and now been the recently defeated champion when Drew fell victim. Until I remembered that as well as cashing in twice and losing a title by cash in as well, Edge was the catalyst for both Cena losing to RVD AND Y2J losing to Swagger. And without thinking about it too much, Cena's up there too - he lost two titles by cash in, turned back Sandow, cost Corbin his cash in, and lost his "called up front" cash in against Punk at Raw 1000. So it probably is Big Match John.

And finally.... in lifting the big one, Cody adds his name to the list of WWE Champions that won their first at a Mania, after Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Yokozuna, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, our man Cena, Rollins, Kofi Kingston and Drew. Plus, he becomes the latest man to complete the original/true Triple Crown (original titles only, no UST/WHC etc bastard titles), adding his name to a pantheon of legendary names. Although interestingly enough... Cena isn't one, having never been the Intercontinental Champion.

If interested - neither did Mick Foley, Batista or Lesnar win the ICT, and Kurt Angle didn't complete the true Triple Crown either, winning the SmackDown tag belts but never the original/Raw/"World" tag team title.

Edited by air_raid
I AM MY KINGDOM

Apparently a good show but it was full of people who paraded about who protected and voted a known sexual offender to the board of directors so yeah probably a no.

Glad they finished the bloody story mind.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Rock staying heel is a interesting move.

This better mean one last Rock vs Cena is on the cards. Imagine the hype!! Imagine the video wall!! Imagine the video game stuff they could post to their socials!! Fuck, wrestling is best when it isn't wrestling, it really is.

• Paid Members

Muttering to myself at half 3 in the morning when The Shield's music hit - "He'd better fucking not be back...."

16 minutes ago, air_raid said:

This better mean one last Rock vs Cena is on the cards. Imagine the hype!! Imagine the video wall!! Imagine the video game stuff they could post to their socials!! Fuck, wrestling is best when it isn't wrestling, it really is.

It'd feed families! 

2 hours ago, Mr Kennedy said:

I will start off by saying I fucking love The Undertaker but that would have been just a tiny bit more incredible if it was Austin instead. Austin/Rock at a Mania just feels more right.

I admit, I was expecting him to turn up after Undertaker; but presumably he'd have been there if it were possible - and they had to make do. 

Either way, that's probably my favourite ever Wrestlemania main event. It was overbooked in the way I'd hoped it would be and I loved every second of it. Was it worth Cody losing last year so that this could happen? You betcha it was. This was sublime. 

I absolutely loved Seth/Drew on top of that - Drew calling for the photographers to take a photo of him trolling Punk with the belt so he could hang it on his wall made me laugh out loud. I really hope we get Drew/Punk in Glasgow; but I could excuse them for delaying that until Summerslam or a much later date. Drew's just sensational right now. 

Knight/Styles really surprised me for how good it was, Knight more than held his own in that match. 

And...the Karrion Kross match was actually pretty fun! Perhaps it's because it surpassed my low expectations, but I had a blast watching it. What a show. Bring on tonight's Raw! 

Cody's sister gets this years Rubber Chicken award for seemingly smashing her leg to pieces getting into or out of the ring and having to be helped to the back by medical staff.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Muttering to myself at half 3 in the morning when The Shield's music hit - "He'd better fucking not be back...."

I was relieved that it was Rollins to run in on Reigns which at least made sense, as opposed to some of the fanfiction I was reading where Rollins was going to turn on Night 1 and maybe Steve Austin would turn up on Night 2, leading to a confusing Mania 31 style situation of Cody & Attitude Era vs Bloodline/Shield stand off... even though Rock could belong on either side, like poor old X-Pac not knowing who he was meant to be kicking.

21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'll be honest, I was the complete opposite. Not particularly a fan of Ambrose, but I love me some Shield.

What I really like is that Cody didn’t actually win because of any of these guys. They were there to protect him from The Bloodline and I think other than an AA from Cena which he recovered from before Cody was back up, Roman didn’t take any damage from them.