Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

So... how was everyone's season, then?

Given all the talk of it being one of the 'most exciting title races in recent memory', the inevitability of City winning it yet again just took away any sense of drama. 

I really am bored by City now. However, as a Newcastle fan, I will be heartily cheering them on in the FA Cup final so that we get a spot in the Europa Conference League. 

Speaking of Newcastle, it was a mixed season for us overall. It was great to be in the Champion's League for the first time in twenty years and thrashing PSG at home was a real highlight. Knocking Sunderland out of the FA Cup (in Sunderland) was also sweet, considering their years of doing us in prior to their relegation(s).  

But we were completely done in by an unprecedented injury crisis, as well as Sandro Tonali's ban for betting offences. Considering how many players we had on the treatment table, Eddie Howe and the lads have done very well to finish seventh and on the verge of a second consecutive season in Europe. 

We definitely need to have a squad clearout this summer and get some new, quality players in. It will be hard with FFP and all that, but I'm confident we can continue to be there or thereabouts as long as we have the likes of Isak, Gordon and Bruno available, as well as a couple of additions. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

Given all the talk of it being one of the 'most exciting title races in recent memory', the inevitability of City winning it yet again just took away any sense of drama.

That particular slice of hyperbole being down to it going down to the final day for the first time in (checks notes) 2 years. Huh. Still, glad to see nobody else gave Spurs a chance of upsetting the apple cart in the week. Lots of rhetoric going around about Spurs fans celebrating "winning the league in October" - I assume by people who don't know any Spurs fans.

Highly frustrating to read Spurs fans lamenting not making 4th because of that result - or indeed, any one result. Mathematically, of course, ANY of the games not won would have made all the difference, but ever since the trainwreck Chelsea game the team has been hampered repeatedly by the twin failings of either requiring the other team to score the first goal to come to life (which in the case of several games ended up being a second and third goal, by which it was too late to recover)... AND several games were having scored the first goal, proving incapable of going on to win. Wolves away, Villa at home, West Ham at home... scored the first goal, lost each 2-1. And that's just immediately following that Chelsea game, there were plenty.

Still, I'll take 5th for a transition season.

It's petty, it's small minded, it's not silverware, but it's still very very funny that the most narrative-phobic club on the planet won the title and were the second biggest story of the day again. 

That's my shitty two cents as a plastique fantastique half-interested follower of this TV entertainment show. I'm delighted Aston Villa finished in the top four. Those are the breakthroughs I love seeing. 

• Paid Members
On 11/7/2023 at 7:54 PM, Doog said:

We're going to be regulars in the Champions League now

This aged so well I nearly quote-posted it to the "things that cheer you up" thread.

Still maintain we will be; In fact, id argue had we not had the most horrendous injury list I've ever known this season, we might even have got in again this year. 7th is incredible all things considered, only missing out by 8 points.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Doog said:

Still maintain we will be; In fact, id argue had we not had the most horrendous injury list I've ever known this season, we might even have got in again this year. 7th is incredible all things considered, only missing out by 8 points.

Sure. If Spurs had not lost 6 first teamers to injury or suspension within one week, we probably would have* won the title. Definitely wouldn't have missed out on the Champions League by 2 points/1 win.

* by which I mean, definitely still wouldn't have, but you've got to feed the "deluded Spurs fans" rhetoric. Jose had us top for longer than Ange did and managed to get himself sacked and leave us to finish 7th and qualifying for the Not-Quite-Cup Winners Cup.

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Doog said:

Would you label United's season as "incredible" too as they've been forced to use 31 different defensive combinations this season because of injuries?

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Would you label United's season as "incredible" too as they've been forced to use 31 different defensive combinations this season because of injuries?

Not really as I would expect Man Utd's ambitions to be a bit loftier than ours considering their stature and money spent over the last 10 years. Regardless of their injuries 8th can never be seen as a good season for them.

From our perspective, 7th would have been seen as a good season this year regardless to be fair as it was always initially going to be harder this year with Europe, it was only 2 seasons ago we were in a relegation battle after all. Next season with being more experienced, hopefully keeping hold of our key players, adding a couple more, have no one else get banned for gambling and have a bit more luck with injuries, we should be able to challenge again for the top 4.

I still love that for all the money spent, all the ambition they have and how well they’ve done within reason that Newcastle still have Big Dan Burn knocking about. Gives me hope that they might not be as good with the money rule bending as City are.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I still love that for all the money spent, all the ambition they have and how well they’ve done within reason that Newcastle still have Big Dan Burn knocking about. 

The only defender in the league to successfully make Antony look good.